Proper set up for SSD with Linux and HDD for files and media

Oh man you are sure learning !!!!

You may well look back on this 'experience' and laugh !!

When you set up Timeshift again choose the External drive as the Location to save the snapshots to.

Just in case I have not put these details on your topic before I will put them here now

Settings...select RSYNC

Location...select where you will store the snapshot/s (external hard drive is preferable)

Schedule...if you have a drive with plenty of space you can elect to save several snapshots.....or just keep one or two...
(Maybe of interest I only keep 3 snapshots/month.....then at some random time I will delete the oldest one and add one....so I always have 3. ((Always delete and Create from the Timeshift window where you see your snapshots listed....Never from the hard drive or anywhere else.

Users...Include All

Filters...under the + icon select both lines

Thats enough....go back to main screen of Timeshift, and select Create

grab a coffee.....5 minutes approx

My Timeshift window/dashboard...
T'shift.png

I must admit I like your mindset. Lesser people would have thrown in the towel and dismissed Linux as "too hard"

Stick with it.....you will definitely come out on top with a working system, and a hatfull of knowledge too.

The welcome screen...will show automatically in your fresh install.
If you click on the 'Show this dialogue at startup' and remove the tick......it will not show at startup.
If you wish to see it again, click on menu and type in Welcome and then press enter.

How to Restore.
Now......if something goes south while you are trying changes etc etc, all you need to do is access Timeshift, click on restore, and go grab another coffee.

Your system will be returned to whenever the snapshot you have chosen to restore, was taken.

If you have really screwed up, you can boot your pc to your thumb drive with LM 20.1 on it..access Timeshift on that thumb drive .......it will have the snapshots on there for you to restore to.
Click on the one you wish to restore....follow the prompts (you dont usually need to change anything).....more coffee.

DO NOT attempt to interrupt the restore

Now.......you can change things without fear of losing your shirt !

Keep us up to date....I am still awake for another 5 hours approx and I am sure there will be others online as well

Reactions: fx9

Just a late thought.
Booting from the usb with linux mint 20.1 on it
Somewhere around https://www.linux.org/threads/where...oal-but-need-machine-advice.33882/post-118986
was when you first installed from the usb/thumb drive....to arrive at the Live OS......sometime after that you Installed to the SSD

I am just jogging your memory.

Allow Linux to do its thing....it will partition the SSD for you.

Sit back and watch.

To be honest this was the perfect lesson for me. I went way beyond my knowledge base, made a mess, did it all over again, and in a very round about way got to exactly where I wanted to be. But, I learned not to get too deep into things I don't understand while touching up on some basics I need to know.

I followed this tutorial, but the last line is where it fell apart. https://www.howtogeek.com/442101/how-to-move-your-linux-home-directory-to-another-hard-drive/. I couldn't enter fstab with his command, removed the g from gedit, accessed it, but did not save it right? I could still verify the drives were set up, but never created the boot sequence so when I restarted after mounting the USB again, POOF. The fun began.

Last night I did a fresh install and tried the tutorial again after saving a snapshot. It took 5 minutes to live boot and fix it the second time, and the beautiful thing?... When you recover with a snapshot you can choose to mount your HDD as /home, so mission accomplished, just not as intended.

I had to boot up my old windows PC to make the bootable because you can't just download anything you want on a chromebook. The 5 minute load times, donuts, and forced restarts needed to complete the simple task were a strong remiinder of why I set out on this task.

I thank you all for the effort you put into keeping me on track. This will be my last post from the CB, I will load up my preferences, swap files, and shelve this one for good tonight. I found a post saying this model CB is Linux compatible. Once I get things moved over and saved, I'll load linux on here as well.

Cheers,

I don't know that it will help anyone stumbling on this thread for an easy way to set up disks this way, and there is quite the circus to read through, but with the recovery I was able to get where I wanted and this is the drive setup I ended up with.

1621222193000.png

I found a very complicated (and confusing) thread, I think Wizardfromoz responded to a fellow asking a similar question,

Just a heads up, mate - when you want to draw a Member's attention, and effectively "ping" them, just put an

@

in front of their name, for example if I put

@fx9

you will now have a notification that your name has been mentioned. I would have been here sooner otherwise.

The @ process also has a handy autocomplete function built in where Members have similar UserIDs.

Back in a few minutes.

Wiz

To be honest this was the perfect lesson for me. I went way beyond my knowledge base, made a mess, did it all over again, and in a very round about way got to exactly where I wanted to be. But, I learned not to get too deep into things I don't understand while touching up on some basics I need to know.

Welcome to Club Linux. :)

That paragraph is right at the core or heart of what many of us experience, but the rewards, IMO, are worth the efforts.

Remember, any questions on Timeshift, you can direct them to my Thread at

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

and Brian @Condobloke or I or someone will try to answer them.

I've been using that baby for 7 years come October, and it's like my astral lovechild, thank God Tony George came up with it. :D

Enjoy your Linux and stay safe.

Chris

1621296907036.png

....be aware that Timeshift can eat up a lot of space... Depending on your Schedule for taking snapshots.

for example, I have three snapshots totalling 77.1GB

My Home folder contains 9GB....so it is represented three times in that 77.1...therefore 77.1 - 27 = 50GBof space used.

This PC does not have a great number of apps installed outside of the default inclusions.
This PC runs Linux Mint (Cinnamon) 64bit

Last edited:
View attachment 9342

....be aware that Timeshift can eat up a lot of space... Depending on your Schedule for taking snapshots.

for example, I have three snapshots totalling 77.1GB

My Home folder contains 9GB....so it is represented three times in that 77.1...therefore 77.1 - 27 = 50GBof space used.

This PC does not have a great number of apps installed outside of the default inclusions.
This PC runs Linux Mint (Cinnamon) 64bit

Thanks for that note. That's a ton of space that I was not expecting. Pretty happy I don't have to watch the SSD closely to make sure I am not filling it up with random files and downloads. I'm pretty sure I set up Timeshare daily because the original installation tutorial said "Don't worry, it overwrites itself. It's not much space even if you set it up to record frequently"

Just a heads up, mate - when you want to draw a Member's attention, and effectively "ping" them, just put an

@

in front of their name, for example if I put

@fx9

you will now have a notification that your name has been mentioned. I would have been here sooner otherwise.

The @ process also has a handy autocomplete function built in where Members have similar UserIDs.

Back in a few minutes.

Wiz
Thanks Wiz, I was wondering if it would notify you anyway. I was thinking it was so far over my head at the time that I wasn't going to attempt anything near it, so dragging you into the conversation would confuse things, but I did that well enough on my own.

I had no idea what I did, and it took me fuddling around in the bios, asking questions, recreating boot disks and a 24 hour period to undo it. I managed to figure out exactly what I did and why it didn't work because I did it again, but figured out what I was copying and pasting. The second time it took me 10 minutes to get a recovery sorted. I am already grasping more of how to use and make linux better than I learned in a lifetime of using Windows.

I am currently thinking about transferring all of my stored email to my own storage ....not sure how to go about that just yet.
I be thinking the same thing, so would you be so kind and let me know how you go with it and the steps taken, please. :)

@Nik-Ken-Bah ....Noted !

Dont hold your breath :) this could take a while....I haven't quite got my head around it yet !

not too sure about that addon.

have looked at a few alternative email clients...I would really like to leave gmail/google completely behind.
I would love to use mailbox.org....but $ are a touch scarce at the moment, and probably will be for some time to come.

Onward and upward...one day!

this could take a while
There is no hurry I ain't like some people wanting it yesterday, impatient twats. For things will be done when they are done and not before.

By that, I meant what would you use - not what they're offering. What's your expected email volume? Do you have 10s of GBs of emails? Do you send hundreds of outbound emails per day?

I currently have 7.5gb of storage used (all emails, no pics etc)
That was 12.5 gb until recently.

outbound varies between 12 and 200 /day

It used to fluctuate to a much higher figure...but appears to have steadied in the last year or so

I access gmail via Thunderbird.

Last edited:
Hmm... A cheap web hosting account (not mine, mine are too small) can be found - and cost less than the above email hosting. Then you have your own domain name and control of your emails. You can use any number of backup strategies at that point.

The terms of service may require you have a website up, but you can bang out 5 pages of fluff and call it a web site to ensure you follow their TOS.

Members online

Latest posts