Program Install thru Wine - Error Msg

jwnyc

Reaction score
Credits
Mint newbie here. Installing my first Windows program (Filmora) through Wine bc audio wont synch properly with video in OpenShot. Filmora install goes to 98% then hangs with error msg:
You must enter a full path with the drive letter; for example: C:\APP or a UNC path in the form \\server\share
There is already a C drive on my system. How do I resolve this? Thx.

I know - trying to use OpenShot but audio and video are not synching. Have never had this issue with Filmora in Windows (been using it for years) - so I thought I'd see if I could just stick with it. Loving Mint but the new software learning curve is brutal.

If OpenShot doesn't meet your needs, then I would try the other alternatives that arochester's link suggested. Running Windows programs on Linux through WINE is not an option. WINE is just garbage. So is Windows. But, if you're stuck on it, then get rid of Linux, and go back to Windows full stop. Otherwise, look at all the options in Linux, and see what works for you.

I believe @Rob , our esteemed leader uses openshot.

He will be made aware that I have linked him to this post. Hopefully his input may help you.

I would agree that Wine is not what it represents itself to be......I found it to be a waste of space.

As for going back to Windows....that sounds like too much of a death wish to me !!....after all, you came to Linux for good reason/s. Stick with us.

If OpenShot doesn't meet your needs, then I would try the other alternatives that arochester's link suggested. Running Windows programs on Linux through WINE is not an option. WINE is just garbage. So is Windows. But, if you're stuck on it, then get rid of Linux, and go back to Windows full stop. Otherwise, look at all the options in Linux, and see what works for you.
I'm on the Linux train, no going back! And yes, I've discovered that Wine is clunky and is not the solution. I've installed Lightworks and am trying to learn it at light speed - I have a self-tape audition due tomorrow!! Thanks for the input.

Hey @jwnyc let's figure out your OpenShot issues.. it's a great opensource project.

What's the issue there?
Thanks for the reply. Linux forums rock! The issue is that audio does not synch with video in OpenShot no matter what I do. I only need a simple video editor - I'm an actor and mostly use it to edit audition tapes. I have one due tomorrow morning so I am in an it-has-to-work-right-now crunch. Installed Lightworks and while it is more than I need, it at least synchs picture and sound perfectly.

Do you have audio/video in separate clips? Also, sometimes i've noticed that playback in openshot sometimes seems off, but the exported video is fine.. are you seeing the sync issue on the exported videos?

I believe @Rob , our esteemed leader uses openshot.

He will be made aware that I have linked him to this post. Hopefully his input may help you.

I would agree that Wine is not what it represents itself to be......I found it to be a waste of space.

As for going back to Windows....that sounds like too much of a death wish to me !!....after all, you came to Linux for good reason/s. Stick with us.
I'm a total Linux convert! Amazed at how clean everything is. This girl is in and spreading the word. Software has been way better than I expected. So far the only issues have been OpenShot; finding an AutoCad replacement (I may end up paying for BricsCad as the LibreCad interface is pretty rough); and the unhappy surprise of finding out that WIX is not supported in Linux, which means I'm rebuilding five websites in WordPress with Elementor and CSS Hero since I don't code. Brutal, that. But all that said, there's no going back!

Reactions: Rob
Do you have audio/video in separate clips? Also, sometimes i've noticed that playback in openshot sometimes seems off, but the exported video is fine.. are you seeing the sync issue on the exported videos?
Working on a single clip, editing out the unwanted parts of the video. Nothing fancy at all. Then exporting. Then playing back in Celluloid to check it. No matter what test settings I use, the audio isn't synched.

Which version are you using? I think apt installs 2.4.3.. but 2.4.4 is available on their site as an appimage.. I recently grabbed their daily "2.5.0 release candidate" and noticed it being a bit smoother - maybe give that a try?

https://www.openshot.org/download/

If you aren't familiar w/ appimages, just type chmod +x name-of-file to make it executable, then run it with ./name-of-file.

Down the line I'll check that out. But today I have to get this clip off to casting. Thanks!

Sounds good - I may try the lightworks one as well to see how it is. Good luck w/ the casting!
I'm using the free version. There's a really great intro tutorial at:
And thanks for the good thoughts!

Sorry for that whole image - how do you paste just a clickable link??

write the name you want to show

Lightworks

then 'blue it out' (hold down left click button and drag it over the word so that it is highlighted

then click on the 'Insert Link' icon......it is the 9th icon in from the left hand side above... ...or just hit ctrl+l)

right click in the url box, and then paste in the url which you have already copied......click on 'insert'

Thats it........when you have posted the reply, the link will become live

Staff online

Members online