Problems with Internet Videos on 2nd Display

C

clockshell

Hey there!

As I mentioned in http://www.linux.org/threads/solved-slow-image-on-internet-videos.5710/ I had problems with Internet Videos (independent of the provider) in fullscreen mode on my native Laptop display, which I fixed by activating the Override Software-Rendering-List Flag in Chrome.

Now the videos run smoothly on the native display but seem to continue the problem when I plug in my 27" display which unfortunately is as you will understand much more comforting for watching a video :\

I am not sure if I had the problem with my old installation (also Xubuntu 14.04). I installed the latest graphic drivers with the intel-linux-graphics-installer. When I switch on the display device I switch off the native one. Might it be a source of problems that the native is a 16:10 and the device is a 16:9 :confused:?

I don't really get it since it is only a problem with streamed videos on the display device :confused:

Thankful for any advice.

Have a nice day!

Yep. Forgot to mention that I've tried adobe-flashplugin and pepperflash. Although I expected an entry in chrome://plugins besides
Code:
Adobe Flash Player - Version: 15.0.0.189
Shockwave Flash 15.0 r0
Name:Shockwave Flash
Beschreibung:Shockwave Flash 15.0 r0
Version:15.0.0.189
Speicherort:/opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so
Typ:PPAPI (Out-of-Process)
Deaktivieren
0" jstcache="22" style="vertical-align: top;">
MIME-Typen:
MIME-TypBeschreibungDateiendungen
application/x-shockwave-flashShockwave Flash 0" class="hlisting" jstcache="30" style="border-spacing: 0px;">
.swf
application/futuresplashFutureSplash Player 0" class="hlisting" jstcache="30" style="border-spacing: 0px;">
.spl

Therefore... I am using integrated PepperFlash atm. I think it is native now in Chrome...? My system on the other hand claims to have adobe-flashplugin installed.

What I did now: I uninstalled adobe-flashplugin, deactivated the integrated Adobe Flash Player Plugin above (which claims to be in the PepperFlash folder :confused:), installed pepperflash-nonfree and ran
Code:
sudo update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --install

--status claims
Flash Player version installed on this system : 15.0.0.223

But nothing is listed in chrome://plugins besides the deactivated plugin which says it is version 15.0.0.189...

I went through some pages and found people who just installed google-chrome-beta. I would be okay with it if it has to be although I prefer stable releases :|

Somehow I seem to need to tell chrome where it can find pepperflashplugin-nonfree...

I noticed that I do have the claimed folder /opt/google/chrome/Pepperflash but no folder for chrome in /usr/lib. There is only a chromium-browser folder (which I have not installed. Do they share?).

That's where I stand right now, I'll keep you informed if I find something and I appreciate any clue :)

Have a nice day!
edit: Haven't tried Chromium yet... I will. It seems that I cannot override the integrated flashplayer-plugin of chrome. Sad, for I liked the chrome bundle so far :(

Chromium is the open source version of Chrome. Normally if you run into issues with Chrome but don't want to use Firefox then Chromium is the answer.

I would try chromium first. You should also uninstall the adobe version of Flash if you do not plan to use Firefox since it may conflict with the pepperflash.

Nice! I think I fixed it. Had some problems though...

I installed Chromium: check,
installed pepperflashplugin-nonfree: check,
ran sudo update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --install: check,
imported bookmarks: check,
open the extensions page: complete display clicks, goes black, nothing works (haven't tried to access tty1, simply forgot)

So I had to disable hardware acceleration in about:settings and - tada - problems gone. Installed Adblock and videos run fullscreen on display device :)

Thanks, ryanvade :)

Hey, does pepperflash perform generally better than adobe flash? If any experienced user can answer that, it would save me some benchmarking weeks.

There are some known bugs/problems so you might have less problems with the pepperflash but I am not an expert on this... as far as I know pepperflash is widely recommended.

Members online