problems with installing manjaro off of a usb drive

also I found the sha number thingy on the official website of manjaro, but how do I figure out the number of the file I downloaded?

Great news! Sorry this reply is late but I had things to do(such as school), but I succeeded in booting off of the drive and am typing this response from the live environment of Manjaro! It turned out that the link Bwiz posted to the thread about him helping another with installing linux had the answer. And it was so simple! All I had to do was turn off secure boot and then it booted off of the drive. Like I said, I am now in the live environment, but before I continued with installing linux completely I wanted to make sure that there weren't any other important things that I had to know, for example something about partitions(which I don't fully understand). Thanks for any input!

pstscrpt: also I thank you all for your help, if not for you I would still be struggling to find information in the vast wasteland of the internet!

dont worry about the partitions when you install you usually get several choices
install along side existing OS [this will give you a multi-boot computer
install using the complete hard-drive [this will completely wipe the hard-drive and install linux]
something else [this allows you to set your own parameters for each partition

as a newbie I suggest you go for either multi boot or use complete drive and have linux only [your choice] and let the installer decide the partition sizes

Bwiz

ok, I just tried to install it, but was faced with some different options than the ones you said. It said install alongside, like you said, then replace a partition, then erase drive with 2 drop downs, one having the options no swap, swap with or without hibernate, or swap to file. The other drop down had the options ext4, btrfs, f2fs, and xfs. The last option was manual partitioning(which I take it is the "something else" you talked about). Can you help me make sense of this? Thanks.

also I wanted to only have linux, thats why I am asking about this, otherwise I obviously would have just clicked install alongside

Good to hear you are progressing as far as you have, thanks to the help of the erstwhile Brian, @brickwizard :)

If you are sure you have safeguarded any personal data from Windows, by all means fly solo, but if not, create a Recovery disk or USB from the windozer, for Justin (Just In case).

If the Lenovo has 8 GB of RAM or more, I would not bother with Swap. Manjaro will place of its own accord a certain amount of swap into your system (a lot of people do not know this) which we can show after you install.

I run 67 Linux over 3 drives with this Dell Inspiron lappie, and have no separate arrangement for swap on any of them. Includes 6 Manjaro, one of them KDE.

how do I figure out the number of the file I downloaded?

The first 2 links I provided at #19. SHA1 is OK.

SHA26 sum for that iso is

5f195a21e3de947643f85938e2c115323825086264aefad18c8d2cf99d0c4195

The other drop down had the options ext4, btrfs, f2fs, and xfs.

In the same way that Windozey has NTFS and also recognises FAT32, for Linux the defacto industry standard file system is EXT4, with BTRFS a distant second. The others are not in the race at this point in time.

For better support here, choose EXT4.

The last option was manual partitioning(which I take it is the "something else" you talked about).

Yes, often listed as "Other" or else "Something else". Allows you more control over partitioning, if you are running multiple OSes on the computer, but not necessary at this stage.

So in summary, best is to choose

Erase drive
No swap
EXT4

Friday here in Oz, so Avagudweegend

Cheers

Wizard

Just remember If asked then tick the box to install non-free/proprietary drivers
if you do find something not quite right then run the inxi test mentioned on the other thread and post the information back here.. fingers crossed you wont need to

Bwiz

So, (ugh)another problem has arisen. I did get through the installer and it all went smoothly until I clicked the "done" button at the end and restarted. This was after it had finished loading the install. I restarted my computer, thinking I was going to end up in the installed version of Manjaro KDE, but instead after an abnormally long wait I found myself in the short boot menu once again. I tried windows boot manager just to make sure it had wiped the drive, and sure enough, it didn't work. I restarted and booted off of my usb and got back into the live environment, tried the install 2 more times, with the same results. I really have absolutely no idea on this one, so as usual, I thank you in advance for any help.

I tried windows boot manager just to make sure it had wiped the drive, ...

That is curious, becuase if you chose to erase disk during the installation, as part of that it should have wiped an option for Windows Boot Manager.

Something has not taken, but at the moment I cannot say what.

Perhaps you can take some phone pics and post them up to us?

Other than that, you could register with Manjaro themselves

https://forum.manjaro.org/

and link them to this Thread so they can get up to speed, and see if they know a quick fix.

If you choose that option, I would ask that you provide us with a link to your question there, as most of our Members are not mind-readers and my crystal ball is in at the shop for maintenance. :)

I'll keep my thinking cap on.

Cheers

Wizard

When you tried to reinstall, did you get a new option to remove manjaro and reinstall?

@Me! Boot in LiveCD mode and run.
Code:
// Escalate (IIRC you're root on Live, still)
su

// Double check where your hdd is.
lsblk
// It's sda if no other storage is attached.
// I'll use /dev/sda for this example.

// You want to reinstall GRUB
grub-install /dev/sda

// Mount sda1 temporarily (I assume you
// mean you did a full disk install, i.e. 1 partition)
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

// Chroot to mnt/
chroot /mnt

// Update GRUB to show correct menu items
update-grub

// Reboot and remove Live disk
reboot
You only really need to worry about the grub-install bit, you can run update-grub from your system once booted safely in.
If you still get issues, you may have to delete the EFI entries in your BIOS. My laptop maintains a list even after an EFI is deleted, thus pointing to nothing, so I have to go through this. If needs be, one of us can walk you through it. Let's hope reinstalling GRUB is enough...

...though I have a niggling suspicion...

That is curious, becuase if you chose to erase disk during the installation, as part of that it should have wiped an option for Windows Boot Manager.
:Generic Creepy Music:
( Wondering how much longer until the BIOS has dedicated storage for EFIs and OEMs act shocked at exploits. :sigh: )

wizard:
Ok, I gave the folks over on forums.manjaro.org the thread, here is the post
Bwiz:
I don't exactly know what you mean by reinstall, can you elaborate?
Fanboi:
In order to boot in LiveCD mode, how would I get to the place where I would enter the code, would it just be in the terminal or something?

(xcuse me for my ignorance)'

As usual, thanks for any input!

Yep, just boot up and open a terminal.

PS: Inexperience is nothing to be ashamed of. We all gotta start somewhere. It's better to ask if you're unsure. Asking questions is a sign of intelligence and why we have science... and chocolate.

I don't exactly know what you mean by reinstall, can you elaborate?

if linux hasn't loaded properly the first time it may have loaded to the harddrive but not loaded grubor another part of the os, if that is the problem when you try to reinstall from the beginning, If linux has installed incomplete, then when you get to the bit that says partition, you may have an extra option something like..
install alongside windows, install using the whole drive
and the extra one would be install over manjaro or reinstall manjaro or something similar
and that is what you choose, but you will only get this if it has loaded with an error on the first attempt

Bwiz

For the LiveCD boot, when i typed in lsblk it comes up with this:
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
loop0 7:0 0 71M 1 loop /run/miso/sfs/livefs
loop1 7:1 0 583.2M 1 loop /run/miso/sfs/mhwdfs
loop2 7:2 0 1.8G 1 loop /run/miso/sfs/desktopfs
loop3 7:3 0 735.9M 1 loop /run/miso/sfs/rootfs
sda 8:0 1 28.6G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 1 3.2G 0 part /run/miso/bootmnt
└─sda2 8:2 1 4M 0 part
sdb 8:16 1 0B 0 disk
nvme0n1 259:0 0 476.9G 0 disk