problems with installing manjaro off of a usb drive

Me!

Reaction score
Credits
I am in desperate need for help on this one. I want to get into linux and have plans to eventually be what many would call a "pro" at it, and my planned progression of distros will most likely go from manjaro to arch and then maybe somewhere else from there. But anyway, the reason why I'm posting this is because I am having problems with installing manjaro. I went through all the steps (downloading manjaro & rufus, creating a bootable usb, and booting off of it), but it didn't work, instead just booting me into windows. If someone could just post the exact steps of doing this in a relatively detailed fashion that would be great, and then I will get back to you once I try those steps.
Thanks!

pstscrpt:if it matters, the computer is a lenovo thinkpad t580 and I have a clean 4gb usb.

Welcome to the forums
this is a general reply
the most common causes for linux not installing,
1] A corrupt download
2] a bad burn of the install medium [have you tried it in another machine]
3] computer is not usb bootable [this will not apply to yours]
4] computer not USB first boot enabled
Bwiz

Can you just elaborate on the 2nd and 4th ones?
Thanks.

I would still like some more information if anyone has anything to give(just in case, you know)

Bad burn of install medium.. the medium is either DVD-r or USB [depending on age of machine] Bad burn is as it says, the iso information has not burnt [encoded] correctly
[when you go to the download page it will give you an MD sum when you have burnt your medium it will give you an MDsum it is essential you check they match]

a standard boot order on a computer may look like this..
1]DVD
2]USB
3] Harddrive 1
and so on
this means the boot loader will look first for a bootable DVD then USB then Harddrive
What many makers of lower powered machines made for windows will do is set the boot order
1] Harddrive
2]DVD
3]USB
so the machine will look for a Harddrive first and if it finds one will boot whatever is on it
to permanently change the Boot order you will have to enter the BIOS and do it there,
alternatively you switch off the machine put your iso pendrive in and switch on at the same time jiggling the Short boot key then highlight USB and enter [on Lenovo this is usually F12 or F1 depending on regional variations]

Bwiz

Last edited:
So I got into my boot menu and was faced with 2 options, my usb and the windows boot manager. I selected the usb but the screen just flashed a black screen and then went back into the boot menu, doing nothing. Does this mean that I flashed the usb wrong and it wasn't actually a bootable usb? Or was something else at play?

Ok, I tried memtest, and it still didn't work. Can you just maybe walk me through the steps exactly of creating a bootable usb?

And I understand completely if that process varies from case to case and that giving me the steps would be nigh impossible(that has happened to me before with something else so I am prepared for it)

First, I think you may want to try another flashdrive. It can't be the ISO coz the same is happening with two very different bootable software. You may want to try Unt Booten to write the ISO files: https://unetbootin.org

The last 3 times I used Unetbootin it didn't work.
I think it's broken:-

Unetbootin has been finicky for quite a while now. I've stopped recommending it as of like a year ago, maybe longer.

@Me! welcome to linux.org :)

Can you please tell us

1. Where you downloaded Manjaro from? Website url please.
2. The exact name of the .iso downloaded (eg manjaro-xfce-20.2.1-210103-linux59.iso)?

I live in Australia so make allowances for timezones.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

reasons for iso boot fail
1] corupted download [only download from a trusted site]
2] bad burn to the installation medium [dvd/usb]
3] hardware incompatibility [trying to load 64 bit onto a 32 bit machine]
4] dud/ damaged pendrive [try a new unused branded pendrive]

this is the instructions to make a bootable USB using Etcher

Use SHA256 rather than MD5
being a miserable old sod i still immediately say MD, :rolleyes:
HOWEVER whether it be MD or SHA [an i am certain you will agree] it is important that when you download/install it matches the the one issued by the distro builders on their download page

Bwiz

Staff online

Members online