Problems with installing Linux on an old laptop

Bensy

Reaction score
Credits
Can't install Any linux distro on Asus F81S. it stucks during booting up liveCD or return error "system halted". I only managed boot up Tiny-core on it only in x/gui(Tiny_core)+extension. In all other cases Laptop just stuck. Does any body now how to fix it?

Last edited:

Hi,
The Problem your running into is most likely due to the old graphics card in that machine. Drivers for your card were dropped back a number of years ago when the xorg. systems were upgraded on Linux.
I don't believe it's going to work with any modern linux distro. Maybe puppy or antix but not sure about those either.

How much RAM have you got? That laptop takes a maximum of 4 Gb.
My configuration has only 2Gb. But i think this is not an issue, problem lays in somewhere else, and i don't know how to figure it out. Do you have any other idea ? Or maybe any other solution ? I just don't want to turn this laptop into e-wast i think it still could work.

Which Linux distros have you tried ?

Hi,
The Problem your running into is most likely due to the old graphics card in that machine. Drivers for your card were dropped back a number of years ago when the xorg. systems were upgraded on Linux.
I don't believe it's going to work with any modern linux distro. Maybe puppy or antix but not sure about those either.
Hi,
Thanks for your advise! But unfortunately no luck. I just tried them both, antix just stuck, puppy return an error

Attachments

• photo_2021-09-21_23-10-07.jpg
    photo_2021-09-21_23-10-07.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 361
  • photo_2021-09-21_23-10-11.jpg
    photo_2021-09-21_23-10-11.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 432
Hi,
Thanks for your advise! But unfortunately no luck. I just tried them both, antix just stuck, puppy return an error
@Bensy
I wonder why puppylinux shouldn't work.
Do tell us details how you tried puppy, which build (because it looks like from the screenshot that the data is corrupt).
And how you are booting it, dual-booting?
Normally I create a bootable flash of Xenialpup7.5 using dd command and boot my ASUS laptop from it.
Xenialpup details here
It turns any old clunky piece of h/w into starship enterprise :)

Last edited:
puppy should work. But it looks like there is a corrupt burn or something like that.

@Bensy
Do tell us details how you tried puppy, which build (because it looks like from the screenshot that the data is corrupt).
Normally I create a bootable flash of Xenialpup7.5 using dd command and boot my ASUS laptop from it.
Xenialpup details here
It was FossaPup64 9.5. I'll try Xenialpup7.5 right away

puppy should work. But it looks like there is a corrupt burn or something like that.
It's strange,I burnt it several times using different usb sticks and different programs. Do you have any other advise what I should do?

From the photo it looks like the system is 32 bit is that correct?
Does the system have UEFI or Bios boot?
If UEFI you may have to turn off secure boot to get it to boot.
And set it to legacy boot if possible.

Last edited:
Is that laptop a 32-bit machine or 64-bit?

What program did you use to make the usb stick bootable?

It's strange,I burnt it several times using different usb sticks and different programs. Do you have any other advise what I should do?
First things first.
Pl let's know how you have burnt it and which version of puppy, 32 or 64 bit, whether your m/c is 32 or 64.
I have seen things going weired due to faulty burn and/or incompatibility.

Unless you provide sufficient info, it would be difficult to help.
Once this doubt gets cleared, we can hunt further.

If you Google "Wrong EFi loader signature" and "XZ-data is corrupt" you get a variety of answers.
1) Is all of your 2Gb RAM working?
2) Has your BIOS got Secure Boot and has it been disabled?

Ok.. first your machine originally had 4mb ram [has one been removed or is it faulty?
second it has Radeon HD 4570 you will probably need legacy drivers [when you tried to install did you say yes to additional/non-free drivers
the core duo [same one as in my dell] is quite capable of running any distribution you wish
now what may be your problem is a corrupt download /bad burn of the install medium

@Bensy
And how you are booting it, dual-booting?
Xenialpup details here
Even stranger. it just return black screen

Attachments

• ezgif-3-3dc325bd7a71.gif
    ezgif-3-3dc325bd7a71.gif
    17.4 MB · Views: 337
here is the full spec of your machine
I have looked at the spec and the manufacturing schematics, it looks to confirm you may have got a dud ram in there

Attachments

• ASUS_F80S_F81S_-_REV_1.1.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 355
If you Google "Wrong EFi loader signature" and "XZ-data is corrupt" you get a variety of answers.
1) Is all of your 2Gb RAM working?
2) Has your BIOS got Secure Boot and has it been disabled?
It was my first thought. But Secure boot is disable, Ram is fine as far as I know. I plug it into another laptop and it work just fine.

If you can upgrade the RAM.
If you already have 2 sticks of RAM put in another 2 sticks provided there are 2 more slots on the mobo.

Members online

Latest posts