Problems installing Ubuntu on Lenovo Ideapad 5

samwise

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone,

I have bought a new Lenovo Ideapad 5 14ARE which came with no OS on it and I want to run Ubuntu on it. I am new to Linux. I managed to run the live version using a bootable USB stick, and from there I tried to install Ubuntu on the laptop itself. It said it had installed correctly, however when I restart the machine, I get the error message "This is not a bootable disk. Please insert a bootable floppy and press any key to try again ..." . I have tried changing various things in the setup utility but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any ideas? Many thanks in advance!

Sam

"Bootable floppy"? How curious. I think more info might help us better here - do you know if your laptop has UEFI or a classic BIOS? Is secure boot disabled? Do you have CSM/legacy boot (if you use UEFI) enabled? I'd imagine that fast boot would be disabled, considering that you don't really have an OS, but you'd be better off if you check if that's disabled too. Also check if you have AHCI, you need AHCI it won't run on IDE or RAID. If you use intel, disable intel optane memory.

If your system is legacy BIOS instead, make sure that the ISO you flash on your USB isn't flashed for EFI systems etc.

Check your BIOS to see which disk the machine is trying to boot from.

Hi, thank you for your help.

The laptop has UEFI. I've tried it with secure boot disabled and enabled. With some settings I get the message "default boot device missing or boot failed. Insert recovery media and hit any key. Then select 'boot manager' to choose a new boot device or to boot recovery media". If I get that message and click OK, I get the boot option menu, which only has one option: "ubuntu (SKYynix_HFM256GDHTNI-87A0B). But if I click that option, it doesn't do anything...

The laptop also seems to have AHCI.

Is it possible there is somehow a compatibility issue with the Ubuntu version I installed once I had got the live version up and running? Or if the laptop was able to run the live version, does that imply that the permanent install version should also be compatible as well?

Including images showing the options in the setup utility.

Attachments

• IMG_20201129_162631.jpg
    IMG_20201129_162631.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 931
  • IMG_20201129_162614.jpg
    IMG_20201129_162614.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 952
  • IMG_20201129_162555.jpg
    IMG_20201129_162555.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 842
  • IMG_20201129_162620.jpg
    IMG_20201129_162620.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 742
  • IMG_20201129_162915.jpg
    IMG_20201129_162915.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 908
Last edited:
Samwise,

Just checking if you were able to resolve this issue. I got a new ideapad 5 and it doesn't show the legacy/uefi option. I disabled secure boot, set the configuration to default in the exit menu. When I press F12 when the laptop boots it only shows the ssd drive and not the USB drive. Any help would be much appreciated.

Did you check the integrity of the .iso file? What program did you use to make the usb bootable?

In your BIOS under the 'Security' section 'Secure Boot Mode' is set to Custom.
What are the other options for Secure Boot Mode?

--:::--Maybe try disabling that and see if Ubuntu will install.--::--

Under the Boot Section of your BIOS I see that "Boot Mode" is set to UEFI.
What other options are there?

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts