Problems installing software packages on Oracle Linux 7.1(el7uek.x86_64)

V

Vishal Seetal

Hi All,
I am a newbie to Linux and I would like to have some help regarding installation of software packages on Oracle Linux 7.1. I did a minimal install of the OS and also installed Compatibility Libraries as an Addon. Amongst other settings, I disabled SELinux and the firewall, updated all packages using yum update and added EPEL release 7.5 to yum. Next, I did a yum grouplist to see the available packages and started installing required packages using yum groupinstall command.
Now some packages like Additional Development could not be installed because I did not install mariadb-devel packages. Questions: What's the best way to install mariadb? Will SQL 5.6 do the same job?
The main issue I found is I could not install many packages like Console Internet Tools, General Purpose Desktop, Compatibility Libraries, Java Platform, NFS File server and so on. I can see these packages are the the available groups list but when I try to install, yum does not find any packages to install for these packages. Question: What I am missing here? Why can I use yum to install some packages but not others?
I redownloaded the public yum repo file and then tried to install but that did not help.
I also tried mounting the iso file for Oracle Linux 7.1 (downloaded from the oracle website), created a repo file for yum to use the iso file while disabling all other repo files and tried to install the packages but that didn't help either.
I then downloaded the public-yum-ol6.repo repo file and enabled it while disabling other repo files. This time yum did find packages to install but there were version issues obviously.
So the question is why does yum finds no packages to install for these packages groups when using public-yum-ol7 repository. What am I missing here?
Thank you for your help.
Regards,
Vishal

yum has been disabled in the last version of linux based on redhat, you can use dnf to install software.

yum has been disabled in the last version of linux based on redhat, you can use dnf to install software.

Hi dtse9,

Thank you for your reply. I finally had to install the individual packages using yum. it was a pain. I will use dnf for my next install and let you know how I go.

Thanks

but in fedora 22 the command yum used dnf ,you can run:
sudo dnf remove yum
then run dnf, you can get the same return.

Hi dtse9,

Thank you for your reply. I finally had to install the individual packages using yum. it was a pain. I will use dnf for my next install and let you know how I go.

Thanks
but in fedora 22 the command yum used dnf ,you can run:
sudo dnf remove yum
then run dnf, you can get the same return.

dnf doesn't come pre-installed in Oracle Linux. Will give it a go for my next server build.

Thanks

dnf doesn't come pre-installed in Oracle Linux. Will give it a go for my next server build.

Thanks
Yum is still the default for Oracle Linux. Oracle has not announced any plans to move away from yum, I recommend you stick to yum until they make any changes.

Yum is still the default for Oracle Linux. Oracle has not announced any plans to move away from yum, I recommend you stick to yum until they make any changes.
Hi Ryan,
You are right Yum is still the default for installing packages on Oracle Linux 7.1. Problem still remains why some of the group packages could not be installed using yum groupinstall although you can see them as available when doing a yum grouplist and i enabled all the repositories one can think of.

Thanks

Hi Ryan,
You are right Yum is still the default for installing packages on Oracle Linux 7.1. Problem still remains why some of the group packages could not be installed using yum groupinstall although you can see them as available when doing a yum grouplist and i enabled all the repositories one can think of.

Thanks
Would you provide me a full list of packages you tried to install and I will find out what repositories they are from on my Oracle Linux 7.1 installation.

Would you provide me a full list of packages you tried to install and I will find out what repositories they are from on my Oracle Linux 7.1 installation.
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for looking. The group packages and returned message summary are as follows:
1. yum groupinstall "CIFS file server" (no packages to install)

2. yum groupinstall "Compatibility libraries" (no packages to install))

3. yum groupinstall "Console internet tools” (no packages to install)

4. yum groupinstall "Debugging Tools" (no packages to install)

5. yum groupinstall "Directory Client" (no packages to install)

6. yum groupinstall "Directory Server” (no packages to install)

7. yum groupinstall "General Purpose Desktop” (no packages to install)

8. yum groupinstall "Graphical Administration Tools” (no packages to install)

9. yum groupinstall "Hardware monitoring utilities” (no packages to install)

10. yum groupinstall "Java Platform” (no packages to install)

11. yum groupinstall "Large Systems Performance” (no packages to install)

12. yum groupinstall "Legacy UNIX compatibility” (no packages to install)

13. yum groupinstall "NFS file server” (no packages to install)

14. yum groupinstall "Network file system client” (no packages to install)

15. yum groupinstall "Performance Tools” (no packages to install)

16. yum groupinstall "SNMP Support” (no packages to install)

17. yum groupinstall "Scientific support” (no packages to install)

18. yum groupinstall "Server Platform” (no packages to install)

19. yum groupinstall "Web-Based Enterprise Management” (no packages to install)

I had to look at the individual packages within these packages and install them manually.

Thanks

I was able to install the following groups:
Compatibility libraries, Debugging Tools, Directory Client, Hardware monitoring utilities, Java Platform, and Performance Tools
By enabling all of the repositories included in a default Oracle Linux 7.1 installation. I did notice some of the same issues with some of the repositories where yum said there was nothing to install but after looking further it seems that the packages were already installed but the group had not been marked installed.

I also enabled EPEL 7 an was able to install a few more of the groups but as with the core repositories many of the packages were already installed from the core reposotories. You may want to look into the differences between yum groupinstall and yum group install as well as the name changes for many of the groups you mentioned.
http://linux.die.net/man/8/yum

Finally I setup an X environment (MATE) and used yum-extender to install some of the other groups. However, yum-extender was not installing the groups but rather installing all of the packages in the groups. There seems to be some issues with Oracles implementation of yum group install. I think further investigation is needed as I did not have the same issues on CentOS or Fedora 22. After installing groups they are not being set as installed even though the pacakges are installed. Other groups apear Empty such as the CIFS group which is the culprit issue.
Oracle Linux 7.1 [Running] - Oracle VM VirtualBox_109.png

Last edited:
It is the only distribution that you hate because it is a silly gelding RedHat ...honestly!

Members online