Problems installing Linux alongside Windows 10

Erling1951

Reaction score
Credits
I am trying to install Linux alongside Windows 10, but the installation stops, because it seems it's not possible to create a partition for Linux. There's about 100 GB free space on the harddisk to create the partition. I have tried to install both Linux Mint and Lubuntu.

@nornak Please don't add your problem to the end of someone else's post. Please start your own post with your own problem.

@Erling1951 - G'day and welcome to linux.org :)

How large is your hard drive?

You saw, in that article @arochester linked to, how they had screenshots of the partition layout in Windows 10. Can you take those for your computer (use the Windows Snipping Tool) and post them up to here?

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

@Erling1951 - G'day and welcome to linux.org :)

How large is your hard drive?

You saw, in that article @arochester linked to, how they had screenshots of the partition layout in Windows 10. Can you take those for your computer (use the Windows Snipping Tool) and post them up to here?

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

My harddisk is 292,02 GB. Have tried to defrag it, but still I cannot shrink it.

Erling

Image1.jpg

I don't know for sure.

If you go to the link I gave http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2015/11/how-to-shrink-windows-10-to-make-space.html and click on the red bit
it takes you to another place which talks about
Who Is Affected?
If your computer uses the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) then you will not be affected. If however your computer has a legacy BIOS then you may be affected but only if your computer’s hard drive already has 4 primary partitions.

You appear to have 4 partitions. Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu and Lubuntu is Ubuntu.

I wonder if this is relevant?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts