problemitas with LO Writer

Mees

Reaction score
Credits
This is my second thread at this forum

in the first I related strange problems using linux 19 en LOW 6.0 and 6.4
no solutions came forward

I am am now completely updated with the latest and updated versions of Linux and LOW, on a freshly formatted 240 G electronic disk, with only LOW and Firefox in use
I use only one folder in LOW, with 100+ files, none bigger than 4.5MB, most under .5 MB, in total around 50 MB of text files

and there are still LOW problems, although smaller ones, problemitas in Spanish - hope that this is the right forum?

1- when copying the 115 files to an external disk, the box says initially "copying 150 files". Also happened in the older versions. can live with it, but why?

2- one of the files refused to come on screen, no way, only after a reset. Not a big deal, but why (the problems with the previous recovery program, see 3)

3- with about 15 files open, the LOW disappeared from the screen when I tried to mark one line. me thinks, too little memory. After restart and recovery, everything fine.
The previous recovery program was corrupted, and would crash 100% of the time. Anyhow, I will not beat LOW so hard anymore

4 any file I want to minimize disappears from the screen. after unminimize and then maximize, it pops back. So I can't have more than one file on screen, nasty but not lethal. Why?
Note: in the previous setup I had never used "minimize" and when I did, firefox and LOW crashed together

5 apart from automatic saving, I have also activated backup files now. I saw in help these are at .config, but can't find that via the normal menu. how do I get there?

greeting from a very rainy Costa Rica

yes, I also have a dobermann with natural ears, his name is Terros, but I don t get your message. Flavor?

I am using the latest and greatest versions of linux (21)and LOW (7.35), as my message indicates in the fourth line

Do you mean Linux Mint? There's no "Linux 21", but there is a Linux Mint 21.

I am also guessing LOW is LibreOffice Writer.

Also libre office has newer versions if thats what your talking about.

"

LibreOffice 7.4.0 (2022-08-18) - Fresh Branch​

The latest "fresh" version of LibreOffice, recommended for technology enthusiasts, which contains new features and program enhancements. This version may contain a few annoying bugs which will be fixed in the next bugfix versions to come. Detailed release notes can be accessed from the link below.

LibreOffice 7.4.0 is the initial release of the fresh line. For a list of fixed bugs compared to the previous development release, see the list of bugs fixed in RC1 and RC2.

Click here to learn about the new features in LibreOffice 7.4

LibreOffice 7.3.6 (2022-09-08) - Still Branch​

The mature "still" version of LibreOffice, recommended for enterprises. As such, the version is stable and is suitable for all users. Detailed release notes can be accessed from the link below.

LibreOffice 7.3.6 is the sixth bugfix release of the still line. For a list of fixed bugs compared to the previous release see the list of bugs fixed in RC1 and RC2.

Click here to learn about the new features in LibreOffice 7.3"

I am on Linux Mint 21 Vanessa base fully updated
although there was a warning that some system reports required my attention, no such reports are presented
I could not figure out the Libre Office Writer (LOW) version, where should I look?

I could not figure out the Libre Office Writer (LOW) version, where should I look?

Open it, click on Help and then click on About. (Menu options.)

Thanks, I am on LOWriter 7.3.5.2

when I update my linux, shouldn't LOW also be automatically updated to the current 7.3.6.?

No, it doesn't work like that. You have to wait until they package that version for your distro, which could take a while as they may use a stable version and not do point release updates or who knows...

Now, in theory there's a PPA with the newest LibreOffice in it. You'd have to look for that and find it on your own. But, it'll update eventually... So, you've got that going for you.

Also, LibreOffice is a poor choice for writing a book. It doesn't deal with large files well. There are some terminal-based choices like LaTeX, but you'd have a learning curve.

thank you KGIII
that's my impression too, when you open too many files or big file the problemitas start popping up.
hopefully a publisher will do the final version ...

You can also learn to use LaTeX, which is meant to format documents like books or research papers. It's a bit complicated but not too bad. It's a good choice. Well, a better choice than LibreOffice for large text files.

Thanks for the recommendation, have had a look at LAtex, think its overkill for me, as I expect the publisher to finish off the book

if only they could fix the restore window button top right, I would be happy - can only work in one document at a time

tried to send this bug to bugzilla, but got stuck there .... I was asked to activate a command, but that command was not on screen

I spent over a year reporting a LibreOffice bug. It's mentioned on my site somewhere, but I am on a phone.

KGIII, please allow me another question

I use automatic saving every 5 minutes in LOWriter, and now also backup files

with every change to a document, a red dot pops up in the SAVE icon, third from top left (green star in LOW 6 versions)
the automatic saving does not eliminate that dot/star
what is the logic here?

in the previous version I once lost 3 hours of work, under 5 minute autosaving,
apparently because I had not pressed the green star before the program crashed

the automatic saving does not eliminate that dot/star
what is the logic here?

For that, you'd have to ask them. Their logic baffles me.

discovered how "minimize" works in 7.3.5 LOWriter
the first time you touch the button, nothing happens, but you can grab and move the borders and reduce it on screen
the second time you use the minimize button on the same file, it will jump to its last reduced size
a bit like Livingstone in Africa, but it works, finally!

switched from LOwriter to FireFox and LOW immediately crashed, with about 10 small files open in LOW
but it apparently recovered everything, probably because I have been hitting the red save buttons like crazy

anyone involved in LOWriter development interested??

if not, CIAO and BYE BYE!

Members online

Latest posts