Problem with network card.

Mathese

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, I want to use the "iwconfig" commands, etc., but it says I don't have a wireless connection or something, I don't remember correctly. Seeing the tutorials, I came to one to install a driver called "compat-wireless-2010-06-26-p" and to install it you must put this in the terminal: "cd compat-wireless-2010-06-26-p" , when I put that I get That file does not exist, the tutorial was for version 2019.3 and I have 2020.1b, my question is where do I have to extract the file to detect it? Is that the driver that I have to install? Clarification: despite this problem, the internet works the same for me. Thanks.

Hello, I want to use the "iwconfig" commands, etc., but it says I don't have a wireless connection or something, I don't remember correctly. Seeing the tutorials, I came to one to install a driver called "compat-wireless-2010-06-26-p" and to install it you must put this in the terminal: "cd compat-wireless-2010-06-26-p" , when I put that I get That file does not exist, the tutorial was for version 2019.3 and I have 2020.1b, my question is where do I have to extract the file to detect it? Is that the driver that I have to install? Clarification: despite this problem, the internet works the same for me. Thanks.

First, welcome to the forum @Mathese Second, avoid at all cost to copy and paste commands you have no idea what they do from the internet. The error you're getting is because you're trying to access a directory that does not exist in your system
Code:
cd
is a command line utility to navigate your system, it stands for change directory since the aforementioned isn't present, your OS reports back "That file/directory doesn't exist". You haven't told us what Linux distro is this you're having this issue on; Ubuntu? Debian? Arch? Which one? Also, I don't understand, does or doesn't the internet work for you? Report back with that info, please. And remember; DO NOT COPY PASTE COMMANDS FROM THE INTERNET!! Seriously, it's a bad practice that none Linux user should ever use. :)

The system I use is Kali Linux 2020.1b (latest version) with Debian (x64), I have all this in a virtual machine in VirtualBox. To your question if I can connect to the internet the answer is yes, the problem comes when, for example, I want to use "iwconfig" or "ifconfig -a" which give me problems, now I will attach some SS. It should be said that in VirtualBox I have configured the network card, but still it does not work and seeing some forums on the Internet I came to the conclusion that I am missing a driver, the case is that I do not know what command to put to install said driver and how to put the directories in this operating system, since, I am new to Linux systems.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    69.8 KB · Views: 518
What is the result if you put into a Terminal (as Root)
Code:
lspci |grep Network
and
Code:
lsusb

This:

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    74.8 KB · Views: 540
  • 1.png
    1.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 512
You did it wrong the "|" is not an "i" but the symbol, if you're using an english keyboard it's right above the Enter key and you have to press "shift + that key" so the command looks like
Code:
lspci | grep Network
this is called to "pipe" a command to another one; the output of the first one lspci is passed and filtered by the second one grep Network so try again like this. So this is a VM, what's the host system? Linux? Windows? Which one?

My default base PC system is windows 8, I have 8.1, but, as I said, I have Kali Linux 2020.1b installed on a virtual machine. I already put the command as you told me and this happened (attached image):

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 480
The solution to the problem, they say, is to install a missing driver, but I don't know how to do it.

The solution to the problem, they say, is to install a missing driver, but I don't know how to do it.
It took me a while to pick it up but I think I know what's going on here. So, you installed virtualbox on Windows 8/8.1, create a VM and installed Kali on it, right? Virtualbox creates a virtual adapter which uses a virtual wired-network; NAT, and it doesn't provide any wifi capabilities due to security reasons. Read here https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=85927

I think you did not understand my problem well, the internet works perfectly for me in Kali Linux, the problem is that I am missing a driver to be able to see the network specifications. The driver that I am missing I already know what it is, the problem is that I don't know how to install it.

I think you did not understand my problem well, the internet works perfectly for me in Kali Linux, the problem is that I am missing a driver to be able to see the network specifications. The driver that I am missing I already know what it is, the problem is that I don't know how to install it.
Yes, I know and I'm telling you that the
Code:
iwconfig
command won't work cause there isn't any wifi network available. You can't install a driver for a non existent hardware, can you? Try
Code:
ip link
this will give you some information. Install inxi
Code:
sudo apt-get install inxi
once installed run
Code:
inxi -Nxx
this will show more info. For more info on inxi usage type
Code:
man inxi
and read through it.

I already read it, do I attach what gave me "inxi -nxx" and "ip link"?

Sorry to ask this question at this point but I don't understand why the command "iwconfig" doesn't work for me and it gives me the error that I don't have a wireless extension.

I want make this in 2020.1b
That won't work on a VM. You could burn kali.iso to a USB, boot live and do it, that way you won't risk making any unwanted damage to your system. Also, Kali has an option to run in persistent mode from a USB. https://www.kali.org/docs/usb/kali-linux-live-usb-persistence/ You could practice how to do that in a VM and then do it in a USB device.

I already read it, do I attach what gave me "inxi -nxx" and "ip link"?
If you want to but keep in mind that virtual hardware is not the same as the real one .

Sorry to ask this question at this point but I don't understand why the command "iwconfig" doesn't work for me and it gives me the error that I don't have a wireless extension.

Because there isn't one :) Like I said before, whether your real machine uses a wired or wireless connection doesn't make a difference, vbox will create a virtual adapter which will only use a virtual wired-network, regardless of what your real hardware is.

Well, exactly ... what do I have to do to fix the problem? If you can leave me a forum or a tutorial on how to do it.

Last edited:
Well, exactly ... what do I have to do to fix the problem? If you can leave me a forum or a tutorial on how to do it.
There is no problem. You can't install that driver in the VM because the hardware it is meant to work with doesn't exist in the VM. I created a VM and run Kali live on it, installed inxi and ran
Code:
inxi -Nxx
just like I told you to, this is the result;

Virtual-Box-Kali-15-04-2020-18-00-12.png

Does any of that look familiar to you? Did you get the same output? Also, did you read the comments on that video you posted? Most of them complaint it didn't work.

Last edited:
Okay, so... I can't use the "iwconfig" command, but instead use "inxi -nxx", right?

Members online