Problem with HP 14s-cr1005tu

LagElsePro

Reaction score
Credits
I tried installing a couple of linux distros on my laptop a while back. First I tried installing it on a dual boot system and it wont progress through the installation process. It would freeze on the initial page or while in-between the installation process. When I tried installing it as the primary OS , same happened. I turned off legacy boot and other stuff but the problem was still around. Then I read somewhere that I need to turn off Intel Rapid Storage Technology and I did that but the problem remained. Then I read somewhere that some laptops are designed in a way that nothing except a Windows OS can be installed in that. Can anyone verify this and if possible , help me with the problem.

Welcome to the Linux Org forums

We are an un-associated, Independent advice a site for those in need of help with installation problems, those wanting a deeper understanding of Linux and Tech's needing more advanced advice,
As a voluntary organisation our members are scattered across the four corners of the world and every time zone, so please accept that you may not get a quick answer

Just a few things to remember
We are an international board so we ask that all post be in English [if you think your English is not very good , fine give it a try or use one of the translator programs [ DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator is recommended]
When asking for help
Please state the make and model number of your machine or its specification [some problems may be equipment specific]
Please tell us which distribution and build number you are having problems with [example Ubuntu 18.1]
Explain what your problem is and what [if anything] you have tried to remedy it yourself

Finally Linux is not Windows, It will require the newcomer to invest a little time and effort going through a learning curve so please don’t give up, kick off your shoes, grab a drink and enjoy the ride.

Bwiz
I don't see anything wrong with your lappy's spec...

Then I read somewhere that I need to turn off Intel Rapid Storage Technology and I did that but the problem remained.

Double-check that. IIRC, it should be something with "AHCI".

Then I read somewhere that some laptops are designed in a way that nothing except a Windows OS can be installed in that.

Some Chromebooks are like that, with locked bootloaders. But, no. Not with Windows. Nor with your device. Your device should have no problems installing Linux.

But, it's pretty new. So, which distros have you tried?

Consider seeing the 2nd link in my signature.

Double-check that. IIRC, it should be something with "AHCI".

Some Chromebooks are like that, with locked bootloaders. But, no. Not with Windows. Nor with your device. Your device should have no problems installing Linux.

But, it's pretty new. So, which distros have you tried?

Consider seeing the 2nd link in my signature.

I'm really sorry for the inadequate way of asking the question, I'm new here. I was trying to install
ubuntu 20.04.2.0 LTS and now I remember someone asked me to disable the AHCI mode to install Linux. I tried finding the option in my boot menu and was unsuccessful. Then I read on a HP forum that in some HP notebooks, you can not disable AHCI.

Edit: This what a HP support tech told me

"Its AHCI by deafult and you could not change it if you wished.
If you do not believe me, go to device manager and look under IDE/ATA ATAPI controllers and it should say SATA AHCI
That is all that is needed."

some modern machines do not have a traditional bios, but a small hidden partition with the boot instructions, I recommend you don't tamper with it

Hmm... Now that'd suck. I can only say that I've never seen a device that doesn't let you disable RST. (I'd have to double check, but memory says you disable the RST mode, selecting/enabling AHCI mode.) I don't have your exact device at hand.

I think I'd double check that, trying any modes it offers.

I'd also maybe try a distro that has a newer kernel. 20.04 is like 5.4 or something out of the box. So, maybe try something like OpenSuse Tumbleweed - just to see if it goes through the installation process. Again, you may need to do some process of elimination stuff with regards to BIOS settings.

Also, I'd check to see if there's a BIOS update. If there's a BIOS update, follow the directions and install it.

My desktop [laptop in a box] is HP it runs fine with Mint 20, MX linux and Mint lMDE4,
make sure you have a good download and a clean burn to USB pendrive

My desktop [laptop in a box] is HP it runs fine with Mint 20, MX linux and Mint lMDE4,
make sure you have a good download and a clean burn to USB pendrive

I'll try reinstalling other distros keeping in mind everything you guys told me and will let you know the progress. Thank you for your help!

I have exactly the same problem which confirms that either Microsoft or HP don't want you installing Linux. My HP laptop is HP 14S-fqo000. 60GB SSD. I've tried everything including physical violence but cannot access the SSD with Linux Mint or Ubuntu. I would really love to know why?

Members online

Latest posts