Problem with changing screen resolution on root user

ahmarko

Reaction score
Credits
So hello everybody. I'm new to linux and I started getting used to it but three days ago I encountered a problem which I just can't solve without your help. So, this is the thing.
I installed Kali linux on my laptop(old one, samsung r510). Everything worked fine until I connected my laptop to my TV with VGA cable and tried to change resolution on laptop to have the tv screen fit completely. Since that, I can no longer see anything. TV shows nothing is connected and my laptop screen became grey with flashes of pixels. The thing is, I can see everything until the log in screen, even there I see everything normal,but when i type my password and username-grey screen comes back. I can enter TTY and use it without any problem. I was trying to use xrandr to change resolution but every time it just says "Cannot open display". I've tried various tutorials and used many advices but none worked. I managed to gain acces to desktop enviroment by creating a new user(I made another one with root acces because the main one is corrupted). So, my question is,why does that happen when I change screen resolution, how can I fix that and how can i retrieve main root account(the one I made when I installed Kali). Can anyone explain me why is that happening or how can I change resolution(the one when you log in,desktop enviroment or however is that called.) without logging into account. As I said, i have acces to tty(console or however is that called-sorry still learning about linux.).

Thank you very much for your help and for understanding the newbie problems :)

Cheers

Members online