Problem with boot Mint 19.3

jerstrums

Reaction score
Credits
Hi. This is my first post here. I'm not a complete hack, but far from advanced. I have done several successful installs until tonight.
I got a new Dell Inspiron 15 3000. It's a Dell 3502. Intel Pentium Silver N5030 CPU.

Immediately I put a USB drive in to boot up the computer that contains Linux Mint Tricia 19.3. I got into it no problem. I checked it out and everything worked fine. I went ahead and clicked to install Linux on the computer and wipe the other stuff out (that option) and the install seemed to go fine. I continued setting up my desktop the way I wanted it, downloaded a program I wanted, etc. etc. No issues. Everything was running fine. Until....

I decided to reboot the computer after doing all that and it won't boot up Linux Mint.
If I start the computer up it goes to a screen with the options of:
Linux Mint 19.3 Xfce
Advanced options for Linux Mint 19.3 Xfce
System setup

Then there is a timer at the bottom and it automatically goes to the first option when that expires.
It just shows the Dell logo on the screen and that's it.. It won't do anything else. It just freezes there.

I've turned it off and back on and looked in the "system setup" menu but I can't figure out what to change to hopefully make this work.

Any ideas? Please if you could keep it in simple language. I'm not advanced like some of you are. This is the first time I've had any issue. I just installed it on a similar computer about 4 or 5 months ago with no issues.

Thanks so much for your help!

Edit to add more info:
In the systems setup... I have this right now:

Advanced -
Intel Speedstep - enabled
Virtualization - enabled
USB emulation - enabled
USB Wake Support - enabled
SATA Operation - AHCI
Adapter warnings - enabled
Function key behavior - multimedia key
Intel software guard extensions - enabled

Security -
Absolute - enabled
Firmware TPM - enabled
PPI Bypass for Clear Command - disabled
UEFI Firmware Capsule Updates - enabled
WINDOWS SMM SECURITY MITIGATIONS - enabled
Secure boot - enabled (tried to disable and nothing seemed to change)
Secure boot mode - deployed mode

Expert Key Management
Custom Mode - disabled
>PK
>KEK
>db
>Reset all keys
> Delete all keys

Boot-
Boot List Option UEFI
I can click "file browser add boot option here"
and there is an option to go to Acpi(with a series of number and letters) then <EFI>
In EFI there is
<.>
<..>
<ubuntu> (contains: grubx64.efi, shimx64.efi, mmx64.efi, BOOTX64.CSV, grub.cfg)
<BOOT> (contains: BOOTX64.EFI, fbx64.efi)

Boot option priorities -
boot option 1 [ubuntu]
boot option 2 (onboard NIC (IPV4) (Disable)]
boot option 3 (onboard NIC (IPV6 (disable)]

***UPDATE:

I went under "Advanced options for Linux..." on that first screen that pops up when the computer is turned on.
When I chose: "Linux Mint 19.3 Xfce, with Linux 5.0.0-32-generic" It did boot up into Linux and work fine it seems.
If I choose the one on that list that replaces "32" with "72" it does not work.

Even after getting it to boot up, if I choose to "restart the computer" it goes out then goes back to the frozen Dell logo. So I have to hold the power button down til the computer goes off. Surely there is a way I can get this thing to auto boot where I want it.
Update:
I went under "Advanced options for Linux..." on that first screen that pops up when the computer is turned on.
When I chose: "Linux Mint 19.3 Xfce, with Linux 5.0.0-32-generic" It did boot up into Linux and work fine it seems.
If I choose the one that replaces "32" with "72" it does not work.

Even after getting it to boot up, if I choose to "restart the computer" it goes out then goes back to the frozen Dell logo. So I have to hold the power button down til the computer goes off. Surely there is a way I can get this thing to auto boot where I want it.

Thanks again for reading!

Last edited:

Try reinstalling the 5.0.0.72 kernel if that doesn't help, boot into the 32 kernel for now and wait for the next kernel update to see if that fixes it. If it doesn't you can either try troubleshooting it then or try installing a newer kernel, one that isn't stock kernel.

Last edited:
Thanks.
What is the easiest way to re-install the kernel? I'm searching for that info. It's not something I've done before.
Right now I'm noticing that sometimes when I turn the computer on it goes to that frozen Dell logo and won't even let me get to that menu to select to boot from 32. I have to turn the computer off and back on then it gets to that menu.

Also, should I keep "secure boot" on or off?

Last edited:
It will be something like this from the terminal.
Code:
sudo apt reinstall linux-image-5.0.0.72-generic

Okay.
I did the "sudo apt reinstall linux-image-5.4.0-72-generic" and it said it reinstalled.

At the end it had this:
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8125a-3.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168fp-3.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/tgl_dmc_ver2_04.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/skl_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/bxt_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/kbl_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/glk_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/kbl_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/icl_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915

I'm not sure if that is anything causing this issue. I don't know what it means.

I went ahead and shut the computer down after all that. When I turned it back on it showed the Dell logo, went to a black screen temporarily, then froze on the Dell logo. So same issue there. I then had to power down again by holding the power button for a few seconds. Turned it back on and it went to the menu screen where I could get in on the 5.4.-0-32 generic.

If you are willing to go that far, LM20.1 xfce
I'd rather not unless I have to. It came up in "system reports" that a new version was available. I clicked on it thinking it'd download, install, etc. etc. Then I got to the page it actually took me to saying all that had to be done. Wow. I'm not sure if I'm in over my head or not. ha.

try jiggling the Esc key immediately you turn it on, on a Del this will normaly bring up the mint boot menu from there you can try running the repair broken packages app

I am not understanding what you mean by "Then I got to the page it actually took me to saying all that had to be done."......?

Hmm... It's usually pretty painless and straightforward to upgrade Mint.

Do you mind sharing the page where you saw the directions? We can possibly clear a few things up for you and get you upgraded.

Hmm... It's usually pretty painless and straightforward to upgrade Mint.

Do you mind sharing the page where you saw the directions? We can possibly clear a few things up for you and get you upgraded.
Thank you. It came from the link I clicked from 'system reports' about upgrading. It did mention it wasn't for novices. I looked again and I can follow the directions, but I don't have the knowledge to analyze what I'm seeing on screen in some of those steps.
I think I have decided if I upgrade I will just do like I did with 19.3 and make a bootable USB drive. It would be nice to have that on hand. I've used the one I have for 19.3 on multiple computers for myself and family. Hopefully, if I do that, it will fix my boot issues too.
Thanks again.

I've used the one I have for 19.3
nothing wrong with 19.3 I still run that on one of my old Del lappys and it is supported for the same length of time as M20, so no real need to upgrade it, I run M20 on desktop solely as it was the current version when my old tower blew the motherboard last year.

It came from the link I clicked from 'system reports' about upgrading. It did mention it wasn't for novices.

Huh... It's usually pretty painless to update Mint to new versions. I only have LMDE installed and no Mint VMs old enough to get the update prompt. I'm a bit surprised that they'd say it's not for novices, as the entire distro is pretty good for novice users.

Good news. I got notification of new updates in the Update Manager and it seemed to be quite a few. I updated those. I did a few more random things inside the BIOS. It seems at least something that happened has fixed the issue. The computer is now booting up into 19.3 automatically. So something worked. I'm just not exactly sure what. Hopefully it keeps on working well.

Thanks again to everyone for replying and helping out!

nothing wrong with 19.3 I still run that on one of my old Del lappys and it is supported for the same length of time as M20, so no real need to upgrade it, I run M20 on desktop solely as it was the current version when my old tower blew the motherboard last year.
Thank you. I didn't realize it was supported as long as M20 is. That is great info to know. I see no reason to upgrade, with that in mind.
Your "esc" key trick came in handy too.

Thanks again everyone. I've learned a bit more already.

I did a few more random things inside the BIOS.

LOL Those are some of my favorite fixes.

"Dunno why, it just started working right."

I once got the Google Chrome icon in the system tray to match the custom icon used everywhere else in LXDE. I have no idea how I did it. I can't possibly replicate it.

Huh... It's usually pretty painless to update Mint to new versions. I only have LMDE installed and no Mint VMs old enough to get the update prompt. I'm a bit surprised that they'd say it's not for novices, as the entire distro is pretty good for novice users.
Sorry I missed this a few minutes ago. Interestingly enough, what is in the "system reports" program now is also different than before. Rather than a link to a text tutorial it shows a preview that you can click through and at the end has a check box to state that you understand the risks and want to continue the upgrade. So it looks like something got simplified there too.
I think I'm sticking with 19.3 though. It works well for me. Thanks again.

LOL Those are some of my favorite fixes.

"Dunno why, it just started working right."

I once got the Google Chrome icon in the system tray to match the custom icon used everywhere else in LXDE. I have no idea how I did it. I can't possibly replicate it.
LOL. Yes!

I don't have those sorts of skills. :D

Staff online

Members online