Problem while shutting down

Itay Ben Guigui

Reaction score
Credits
Hello , recently i have bought Lenovo IdeaPad530s without os on it and i have installed linux. it seems all work nicely but when i shutdown or choose reastart its screen is frozen and not responding so i have to shutdown by pressing the button.. is there any thing i can do ? Thanks !

Which Linux? If it is a Debian type what happens if you open a Terminal and input
Code:
sudo shutdown -h now

Reactions: Rob
shutdown -h and shutdown -P are basically identical unless --halt is specified.

There is no need for anything more than

Code:
shutdown now

Elevated privileges (ie sudo) are not required (unless centOS requires it, Fedora does not) across 4 of the 5 Families - the exception being Gentoo itself, and Gentoo-based eg Sabayon, Calculate Linux.

See

Code:
man shutdown

(Wizard disappears in a puff of smoke, then reappears)

Just shutting down does not address the basic problem as to why, I'll have a think about it, might need looking into logs.

Wizard

The thoughts expressed here are not mine....however they are perhaps worth a try.

Depending on what you have installed/saved on your OS, you might wish to backup that data before you try

Timeshift can be extraordinarily useful in "fixing" any stuff ups you may cause/encounter
It works in a very similar manner to system restore in windows....with the main difference being it actually works.

This problem was actual for me too. What is the most interesting - when I closed first manually user session and then shut the system down, everything went smoothly without any delay. Today I devoted some time to solve the issue and here are some results. The problem arises because the system waits at the shutdown for some thing which in its opinion must happen. The very thing is individual for each separate case. In my case it was even two problems one of which I've found. The system was looking for a hard drive which didn't exist. How so? Because I've experimented with some other versions of Linux and chose for all versions the same drive device as swap. During installation of the second Linux, UUID of the device was changed but in system files of the first Linux it remained unchanged. But, once again, - it was my problem, yours may be not alike at all. After I fixed the above problem, I still had another one. I lost my hope and just gave up to the temptation to solve the problem with a brute force. I changed in the /etc/systemd/user.conf and /etc/systemd/system.conf files parameter DefaultTimeoutStopSec from 90 seconds to 5 seconds. Don't forget to uncomment the line (to remove # sign in the beginning of the line with the parameter DefaultTimeoutStopSec).

Now it works fine, system shuts down very fast.

Members online

Latest posts