PROBLEM:Manjaro dosen't work on DELL INSPIRON 15 7559

A

Andrea

Hello!I have got a problem!I bought the Dell Inspiron 15 7559 in Italy.I can't install Manjaro Linux on it.I disabled the secure boot,I use an usb pen with rufus to start the installation but nothing I'm still having problems!This is what is shown when I try to install Manjaro!Can someone help me to install it?Thank you and excuse me for my english!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,416

Thank you!But I don't understand a thing!I have to write a string with xdriver=vesa?I have to do it where?When I'm on the window to install manjaro?Thank you!

To temporarily add a boot parameter to a kernel:

1. Start your system and wait for the GRUB menu to show (if you don't see a GRUB menu, press and hold the left Shift key right after starting the system).
  2. Now highlight the kernel you want to use, and press the e key. You should be able to see and edit the commands associated with the highlighted kernel.
  3. Go down to the line starting with linux and add your parameter foo=bar to its end.
  4. Now press Ctrl + x to boot.
- https://askubuntu.com/questions/19486/how-do-i-add-a-kernel-boot-parameter

Substitute foo=bar with xdriver=vesa

Still not working.I don't have foo=bar so i can substitute it with xdriver=vesa.I try to write it at the end of the line but it dosen't work.When the tutorial you link me say "press Ctrl +x to boot with modified parameter'',I did it,but it dosen't boot!Do you have any advice?I'm using rufus for the iso on the usb pen...Thank you!

Well, one of the most user-friendly distros is Ubuntu, if you don't mind the Unity desktop. If you prefer a more traditional desktop, then Ubuntu MATE or Xubuntu would be pretty good choices too. Actually, the latest Ubuntu (16.04) will let you move the launcher from the left side to the bottom now too... that's a new feature. In any of these, if your install goes okay, you will want to install the "restricted extras" either during the install or shortly afterwards. You may want to use proprietary drivers for your video card for the best experience. Here are some ideas for you: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/04/10-things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu-16-04-lts

Are you trying to dual-boot with Windows... Windows 10, or other? Ubuntu is generally pretty good at installing a dual-boot system, but there are some troubles you could run into because of the "UEFI" that replaces older BIOS systems. Anytime you are trying to install a new operating system, you want to back up any important information on your computer. If you haven't already, you should also make a set of "system recovery disks" for Windows in case you need to reinstall it. The "system recovery" might also save to a USB instead of DVD's, if you don't have a DVD drive.

Good luck!

That particular laptop seems to have problems. Try Googling
DELL INSPIRON 15 7559 linux

Look at https://askubuntu.com/questions/689380/dual-boot-on-dell-inspiron-7559-laptop
I'll try to use the parametrs and see what will happen.

Well, one of the most user-friendly distros is Ubuntu, if you don't mind the Unity desktop. If you prefer a more traditional desktop, then Ubuntu MATE or Xubuntu would be pretty good choices too. Actually, the latest Ubuntu (16.04) will let you move the launcher from the left side to the bottom now too... that's a new feature. In any of these, if your install goes okay, you will want to install the "restricted extras" either during the install or shortly afterwards. You may want to use proprietary drivers for your video card for the best experience. Here are some ideas for you: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/04/10-things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu-16-04-lts

Are you trying to dual-boot with Windows... Windows 10, or other? Ubuntu is generally pretty good at installing a dual-boot system, but there are some troubles you could run into because of the "UEFI" that replaces older BIOS systems. Anytime you are trying to install a new operating system, you want to back up any important information on your computer. If you haven't already, you should also make a set of "system recovery disks" for Windows in case you need to reinstall it. The "system recovery" might also save to a USB instead of DVD's, if you don't have a DVD drive.

Good luck!
If it dosen't work I'll try that.If also this dosen't work I'll buy a cheap computer which will run it...I wish!

Yikes! You may need to use a different computer after all, Andrea. That sure sounds like a lot of trouble with the model you have. Thanks @arochester for the tip!

Cheers!

I know that this thread is old and probably closed by now, but I wanted to add something for those that come across this problem and wind up here in their search. I have installed various distros on that model with no problem. One thing I didn’t see mentioned was to not only disable secure boot, but to also enable legacy in the bios. Since most laptops ship with Windows preinstalled legacy allows more than just up-to-date OSes to be used.

I have Manjaro running on a dell with UEFI enabled. I prefer to use Etcher over Rufus I think that it comes out better.

Members online

Latest posts