Problem installing vlc player or other software

Rishikumaren

Reaction score
Credits
Hye guys. I recently changed from Windows to kali Linux. I am trying to install vlc player and this error keeps coming. By the way I am new to this forum and I am sorry if I have mistakenly posted.

Attachments

• IMG-20191208-WA0018.jpeg
    IMG-20191208-WA0018.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 511

G'day Rishikumaren, and Welcome to linux.org

Why did you choose Kali Linux ?....something to do with learning hacking ?

KALI....(for the uninitiated)

Kali Linux is preinstalled with over 600 penetration-testing programs, including nmap (a port scanner), Wireshark (a packet analyzer), John the Ripper (a password cracker), Aircrack-ng (a software suite for penetration-testing wireless LANs), Burp suite and OWASP ZAP (both web application security scanners). Kali Linux can run natively when installed on a computer's hard disk, can be booted from a live CD or live USB, or it can run within a virtual machine. It is a supported platform of the Metasploit Project's Metasploit Framework, a tool for developing and executing security exploits.

Hye guys. I recently changed from Windows to kali Linux. I am trying to install vlc player and this error keeps coming. By the way I am new to this forum and I am sorry if I have mistakenly posted.
First, welcome to the forum. Now, what do you get when you run
Code:
apt-get update
do you get any errors? run that command and post the output please. Also, I would suggest that you try a more friendly distro like Linux Lite, Ubuntu, Mint, MX-Linux unless of course you have your own reasons for chossing Kali, in any case if it's learning some hacking you could just do that by installing Ubuntu + virtualbox and then create a Kali VM, that way you'll save yourself form some time and frustration.

Hope this helps! :)

G'day Rishikumaren, and Welcome to linux.org

Why did you choose Kali Linux ?....something to do with learning hacking ?

Yes. I recently find out that i can do hacking with this Kali Linux.
I tried your suggestion but still not working

root@kali:~# apt-get update
E: Type 'deb.src' is not known on line 2 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/tor.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.
root@kali:~#

The same error keeps coming. This prevents me from installing any other software such as word , power point , excel. I need to borrow my friends laptop which is windows and finish my assingnments . Guys i seriously need your help. This is kind of a critical situation!!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-12-08 23-49-40.png
    Screenshot from 2019-12-08 23-49-40.png
    568.9 KB · Views: 481
I started to install only tar.gz packages.
But at some point I realized that I just don't need Kali.

""But at some point I realized that I just don't need Kali.""

Now, there is a mature decision.

I dont understand. As far as i know with kali linux only you can do the hacking stuffs.
I started to install only tar.gz packages.
But at some point I realized that I just don't need Kali.

I dont understand. As far as i know with kali linux only you can do the hacking stuffs. Is there any other way to do the hacking ?

U can do this hacking stuff with any other Linux distro.

root@kali:~# apt-get update
E: Type 'deb.src' is not known on line 2 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/tor.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.
root@kali:~#

Looks like the problem is here /etc/apt/sources.list.d/tor.list So editing that file should solve it, open a terminal and type
Code:
nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/tor.list
and edit the file commenting, that is, type the "#" symbol in front of the line that reads deb.src then run again
Code:
apt-get update
If the update process goes well then you should be able to install software. Also, I'd suggest to run
Code:
apt-get upgrade
right after updating sources, and then once it is completed and kali gets fully updated & upgraded proceed to install vlc or any ther app you want/need.

I dont understand. As far as i know with kali linux only you can do the hacking stuffs. Is there any other way to do the hacking ?

Not quite true. You can install any distro you like and then install "hacking" and/or penetration tools i.e nmap, wireshark, aircrack ... just like @Peer said you can do this "hacking stuff" just in any Linux distro of your choice.

Looks like the problem is here /etc/apt/sources.list.d/tor.list So editing that file should solve it, open a terminal and type
Code:
and edit the file commenting, that is, type the "#" symbol in front of the line that reads deb.src then run again
Code:
apt-get update
If the update process goes well then you should be able to install software. Also, I'd suggest to run
Code:
apt-get upgrade
right after updating sources, and then once it is completed and kali gets fully updated & upgraded proceed to install vlc or any ther app you want/need.

Not quite true. You can install any distro you like and then install "hacking" and/or penetration tools i.e nmap, wireshark, aircrack ... just like @Peer said you can do this "hacking stuff" just in any Linux distro of your choice.

My thoughts exactly also @Tolkem

Yes thank you guys. The nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/tor.list did worked out for me.By the way i am using KALI GNU/Linux Rolling.Once again thanks for the help to all of you. Now i have a new problem which is i could only connect my linux laptop to my penasonic tv via hdmi cable about 30 minutes only. At first i thought there was a loose cable or something but after that is not the problem

Laptop : Kali GNU/Linux Rolling
: 5.3Gib
:AMD® A6-1450 apu with radeon(tm) hd graphics × 4
: 3.3.4.1 Gnome

TV : Penasonic 62 inch

Cable : Hdmi to Hdmi cable

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-12-15 14-53-39.png
    Screenshot from 2019-12-15 14-53-39.png
    78.1 KB · Views: 455
Code:
Code:
apt-get update
Code:
apt-get upgrade

Thanks for the suggestion.But I already have my kali linux installed in my laptop.Furthermore i am getting used to it. Except the hdmi cable thing.It is quite wierd because everything works fine for 30 minutes then both my tv and laptop goes blank

because its not in kali repos try downloading direct from vlc website

Members online

Latest posts