Privacy guard for Ubuntu on Levovo Thinkpad?

DrumDocTok

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I'm very new to Linux. I purchases a Lenovo Thinkpad and installed Linux Ubuntu. Lenovo has a cool feature for windows called Privacy Guard where it will make the screen not visible to someone looking at it from the side and will alert me when it detects someone behind me through the infrared camera. This program doesn't work with Linux. Is there a similar existing program that will work with Linux Ubuntu?

Hi, I'm very new to Linux. I purchases a Lenovo Thinkpad and installed Linux Ubuntu. Lenovo has a cool feature for windows called Privacy Guard where it will make the screen not visible to someone looking at it from the side and will alert me when it detects someone behind me through the infrared camera. This program doesn't work with Linux. Is there a similar existing program that will work with Linux Ubuntu?
You can buy a privacy screen protector.

You can take the laptop screen apart to remove the polarization film. Then, you can cut the film and put it into a pair of glasses frames. The screen will then look white to anyone else except the person wearing the glasses.

Lest you think I'm insane, I'll find a link...

You can take the laptop screen apart to remove the polarization film. Then, you can cut the film and put it into a pair of glasses frames. The screen will then look white to anyone else except the person wearing the glasses.

Lest you think I'm insane, I'll find a link...

I saw a video on that years ago.

I got a 3M one but its not very effective. I can still see the screen from the side but just darker. Plus I like the idea of that program alerting me when noticing someone's behind me.

Have you actually tried that or seen it work? That would be pretty wild if it works!
I'm not messing up my computer of that. If I don't want someone to see whats on my screen I'll go to another area or turn my device away.

Have you actually tried that or seen it work? That would be pretty wild if it works!

I'm not them, but I can kinda answer. I didn't try it, but I know a few people who actually did toy around with it on their own hardware. I have spare monitors. I'm just otherwise lazy or two busy. It was pretty big on Slashdot, with a number of posts, for a little while. At least a few people did so successfully.

The hardest part was, as memory serves, peeling off the polarization film. The method some used was careful use of a heat gun (again, going by memory).

I figured it'd be kinda neat if you could just buy it like that to start with.

Members online

Latest posts