Privacy for normies. I would like to know your opinions

Sudo It

Reaction score
Credits
This is actually for normies just like me. Also, this is not for a someone NSA is coming after.
If you're reading this, most probably you're already a linux user or you're planning to move to linux from other Operating systems.
This is not for those people who say "I don't have anything to hide". Just because someone wants to have their privacy, that doesn't make he or she a coomer or a terrorist. So, we will meet again when you are famous after your nude photos get leaked to dark net.
Using linux itself is a pretty huge step closer to become a privacy hero. Windows and Mac os collect so much data about their users.
Microsoft messed up after Windows 7. I even liked Windows 10 when at it's early stages. Then it became a huge spyware. I don't even want talk how much bloated it is. Now Microsoft requires it's users to have Webcam if you want to use Windows 11.

Yeah, this doesn't apply to dekstop computers, but for how long?
Apple is no different than Microsoft, they used privacy as a marketing tool to sell their devices. Now Apple is facing lawsuits once every 6 months.
I love how Apple fan boys say Mac os and iphones are very secure than other devices.
Microsoft, Apple, Google and Metaverse have created a beautiful walled garden.
What their users don't see is, how much they pay for their services.
In most cases, if you don't pay for a service, that means they are using you.
These big companies aren't monitored properly, their code is not open source. We don't know what they do with our data.
Of course, they share our data with glow boys, and, American glow boys are not better than Chinese glow boys.
USA didn't ban Tiktok, just because they love it's citizens. What they wanted to show was that only they can get USA citizens data ,not Chinese glow boys.
Facebook got hacked many times and each time, hackers released private information about Facebook users to dark web.
For the sake of them, people realised how much data those big kahoonas collect from us.
Facebook got hacked two years ago and now you can download about 14 gigabytes of hacked data on dark web that belongs to Facebook users.
These apps can listen to you, turn on your camera even when those apps aren't used.
Protecting privacy is not something just few hundreds of people can do. There's something called herd immunity. No matter what we do, unprotected user can reveal our data to big companies.
I want your opinions on this matter and also, I would like to learn more tips to secure our privacy.

I would like to learn more tips to secure our privacy.
Take a look at simple login, I am delighted.
www.simplelogin.io
It gives you 15 free email aliases to hand to whoever asks. But the magic happens in your inbox email, if you want to change it you can do it without questions. You don't even have to have access to your inbox email, and with one move you have ghosted your old mail provider. It's up to you how to use this.

Take a look at simple login, I am delighted.
www.simplelogin.io
It gives you 15 free email aliases to hand to whoever asks. But the magic happens in your inbox email, if you want to change it you can do it without questions. You don't even have to have access to your inbox email, and with one move you have ghosted your old mail provider. It's up to you how to use this.
I already use Firefox aliases, but this is another level. Firefox provide only 3 aliases, can't blame them though. Created an account on simplelogin, it has more features than Firefox. They have an android app too, on fdroid!
Thanks mate

I use a ton of privacy tools. But I already started in 2016. Privacy/security is a process. Take one step at one time. In short, learn how to walk before you can run.

How I get started in 2016
For PC:
  • Get started by using a password manager.
  • I stopped using Chrome and switch to Firefox, Brave, Vivaldi.
  • I used Gmail alternatives: ProtonMail, Tutanota, Yandex.
  • Use Linux. In my case, I started with Ubuntu.
  • I use Telegram/Signal on Desktop instead of the Android version since I don't want Google to track me. Download Telegram Desktop here. Or Signal Desktop here.
  • For search engines, I set DuckDuckGo and Startpage as the default search engine.
  • You don't need to worry about browsing fingerprint stuff at the beginning. Just use an Adblock on the browser. Yes, I learned a lot about browser fingerprinting but just one year ago.
For phone:
  • When I was starting up years ago, I use Android. But I set up a new Gmail account just for that phone. I didn't use it elsewhere and never used it to send/receive emails.
  • I no longer use an Android phone to talk or receive SMS today.
  • If you want more privacy on Android, you can log out from your Google account on Android. Details here.
Tools that I discovered this year and will be useful for beginners:
  • ElectronMail app: This is a Linux Desktop app. You can use this software to stay login into your ProtonMail account. Unlike Gmail, you cannot stay login with your browser on ProtonMail. Download the .deb installer from Github here.
  • Anonaddy.com: Another email forwarding service, in addition to Simple Login. You can create unlimited aliases but for a free account, you have a 10 MB bandwidth limit.
  • Glasswire App. Use this one to monitor outgoing connections from your Android phone. You can see what app/processes are connecting online and see how Google tracks you on Android.
I also discovered Firefox Profile Maker, but that is for experienced users. And, too much to be listed here. Read more from Restore Privacy:

Last edited:
I use a ton of privacy tools. But I already started in 2016. Privacy/security is a process. Take one step at one time. In short, learn how to walk before you can run.

For PC:
  • Get started by using a password manager.
  • I stopped using Chrome and switch to Firefox, Brave, Vivaldi.
  • I used Gmail alternatives: ProtonMail, Tutanota, Yandex.
  • Use Linux. In my case, I started with Ubuntu.
  • I use Telegram/Signal on Desktop instead of the Android version since I don't want Google to track me. Download Telegram Desktop here. Or Signal Desktop here.
  • For search engines, I set DuckDuckGo and Startpage as the default search engine.
  • You don't need to worry about browsing fingerprint stuff at the beginning. Just use an Adblock on the browser. Yes, I learned a lot about browser fingerprinting but just one year ago.
For phone:
  • When I was starting up years ago, I use Android. But I set up a new Gmail account just for that phone. I didn't use it elsewhere and never used it to send/receive emails.
  • I no longer use an Android phone to talk or receive SMS today.
  • If you want more privacy on Android, you can log out from your Google account on Android. Details here.
Tools that I discovered this year and will be useful for beginners:
  • ElectronMail app: You can use this software to stay login into your ProtonMail account. Unlike Gmail, you cannot stay login with your browser on ProtonMail.
  • Anonaddy.com: Another email forwarding service, in addition to Simple Login. You can create unlimited aliases but for a free account, you have a 10 MB bandwidth limit.
  • Glasswire App. Use this one to monitor outgoing connections from your Android phone. You can see what app/processes are connecting online and see how Google tracks you on Android.
I also discovered Firefox Profile Maker, but that is for experienced users. And, too much to be listed here. Read more from Restore Privacy:
Thanks for these tips.
I already follow most of these things,
  • for a firewall, I use netguard
  • Firefox is my primary browser on both of my computers and phone, sometimes I use brave and chromium
  • For search engines, I use DDG, searx, startpage. Rarely use ecosia, though it's powered by bing, because they say 80% of their profit goes to reforestation.
  • For email aliases, FF aliases, and simplelogin as slowlearning sugessted. I will look into anonaddy.com.
  • I don't use gmails on my phone, just tutanota and protonmail. Thunderbird is used for gmail logins.
  • I didn't focus on browser fingerprinting though because I thought that wouldnt be a problem. However I use ublock origin as an adblocker, I also block Java scripts on webpages.
  • I couldn't find a good custom rom for my mobile phone yet, so , for now, I disabled all google services on my phone. Unfortunately, I have to use whatsapp, facebook because of my friends and family, so, currently I installed them on an emulator on my debloated windows 10 partition. I ordered a tab for those apps and it's on its way. I was planning to remove google services on the tab using ADB and then install microG. I don't know whether that's a good idea though.
  • I have encrypted all of my personal data on an external hard drive.
  • KeepassXC is used as my password manager.
I think Yandex is from Russia, so, I guess we can't really trust that email service. Yandex is Google's Russian brother:D.
I forgot to mention that I use fdroid and Aurora to install apps on my phone.

I stopped using Android years ago. You can disable location access etc, but Google probably still tracks you. Disabling those will block third-party apps, like Whatsapp from accessing your location, but that won't stop Google.

This is another tool that I always use - Cryptomator
This video demonstrates how to use Cryptomator:

Other than uploading to the cloud, you can also use Cryptomator to create an encrypted folder (vault) on a USB drive.
Keep in mind that encryption is a double-edged sword. Do not store your password manager files (like Keepass KDBX) in the vault.

Installation:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sebastian-stenzel/cryptomator
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install cryptomator

Details and FAQs: https://cryptomator.org/
Support forum: https://community.cryptomator.org/

I stopped using Android years ago. You can disable location access etc, but Google probably still tracks you. Disabling those will block third-party apps, like Whatsapp from accessing your location, but that won't stop Google.

This is another tool that I always use - Cryptomator
This video demonstrates how to use Cryptomator:

Other than uploading to the cloud, you can also use Cryptomator to create an encrypted folder (vault) on a USB drive.
Keep in mind that encryption is a double-edged sword. Do not store your password manager files (like Keepass KDBX) in the vault.

Installation:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sebastian-stenzel/cryptomator
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install cryptomator

Details and FAQs: https://cryptomator.org/
Support forum: https://community.cryptomator.org/
Hm, I still have to use android. I disabled all google services from my devices but I know still they can track me. I did a big mistake when buying devices without checking whether there are degoogled custom roms available for those.
of course, Some apps don't work after disabling all those services, like banking apps, uber, etc. but who uses them anyway;).
If someone is reading this thread, don't buy samsung devices, because there are tons of spooky services embedded with google's android. I don't have any experience about other android vendors, but I think 1+, google pixel are good choices, if you are planning to degoogle your phone later.
I searched cryptomator on Fdroid, but they don't have their apk there(I use veracrypt on linux, that's why I'm installing on android).
I am downloading it from aurora store right now. I'll leave a review after trying it.
Personally, I rarely use cloud services, even if I used I never upload my password databases, photos on clouds.
I have a question, are there any virtual machines for android?
I'm willing to run linux on my android tab, so I don't have to have conversation with humans when I go outside.
So far, I couldn't find any way to do that.
thanks for your reply

Thanks for these tips.
I already follow most of these things,
  • for a firewall, I use netguard
  • Firefox is my primary browser on both of my computers and phone, sometimes I use brave and chromium
  • For search engines, I use DDG, searx, startpage. Rarely use ecosia, though it's powered by bing, because they say 80% of their profit goes to reforestation.
  • For email aliases, FF aliases, and simplelogin as slowlearning sugessted. I will look into anonaddy.com.
  • I don't use gmails on my phone, just tutanota and protonmail. Thunderbird is used for gmail logins.
  • I didn't focus on browser fingerprinting though because I thought that wouldnt be a problem. However I use ublock origin as an adblocker, I also block Java scripts on webpages.
  • I couldn't find a good custom rom for my mobile phone yet, so , for now, I disabled all google services on my phone. Unfortunately, I have to use whatsapp, facebook because of my friends and family, so, currently I installed them on an emulator on my debloated windows 10 partition. I ordered a tab for those apps and it's on its way. I was planning to remove google services on the tab using ADB and then install microG. I don't know whether that's a good idea though.
  • I have encrypted all of my personal data on an external hard drive.
  • KeepassXC is used as my password manager.
I think Yandex is from Russia, so, I guess we can't really trust that email service. Yandex is Google's Russian brother:D.
I forgot to mention that I use fdroid and Aurora to install apps on my phone.
update: I installed microg on my android tab, but it didn't work. I couldn't find why. Didn't try installing microg on my personal phone though

update: I installed microg on my android tab, but it didn't work. I couldn't find why. Didn't try installing microg on my personal phone though
What custom ROM you are trying? Did you try asking on the Xda forum?

If you are using Lineage OS, there is a subforum for that.

If you want to use CalyxOS, you can ask on their Gitlab page.

Linux Phone vs. De-Googled Android AOSP - Which is better for Privacy?

If you want to know more about phone privacy, follow Rob Braxman Tech on Youtube or Odysee.

No custom ROM supports my android phone so I uninstalled a bunch of system and user applications with Samsung and Google using ADB. Not completely de-googled, but slightly less invasive. Use mainly open source applications for most on it. I use f-droid and auroraoss stores. And use this for calling, camera, messaging and contacts, etc.

So these are the things I have removed, this doesn't cause any damage to your phone if you uninstall the right applications by doing some research. You can always go back and reinstall them.

Samsung General System: pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.messaging pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sec.android.app.sbrowser pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sec.android.easyMover.Agent pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.watchmanagerstub pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sec.android.daemonapp pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sec.android.app.camera pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.calendar pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.vvm pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.dialer pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sec.android.app.myfiles pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sec.android.gallery3d pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.contacts pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sec.android.app.clockpackage pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.scloud pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.service.peoplestripe pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sec.android.mimage.photoretouching pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.aware.service pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.sharelive pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.SMT pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.securitylogagent pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.video pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.app.newtrim pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.providers.userdictionary pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.stickercenter pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.mobileservice pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.fmm pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.galaxyfinder pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.forest pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.clipboardedge pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.clipboardsaveservice Samsung Game Launcher: pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.game.gamehome Discover Bar: pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.digitalturbine.toolbar Bloatware Apps: pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.onedebit.chime pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.moonactive.coinmaster pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.superplaystudios.dicedreams pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.microsoft.skydrive pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.pandora.android pm uninstall -k --user 0 air.com.playtika.slotomania pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.tripledot.solitaire pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.zhiliaoapp.musically pm uninstall -k --user 0 in.playsimple.wordtrip pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.swish.instagame Bixby: pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.spage Google: pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.youtube pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.apps.maps pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.apps.docs pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.apps.photos pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.apps.tachyon pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.feedback pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.gm pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.printservice.recommendation pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.syncadapters.calendar pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.tts pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.videos pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.vending pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.chrome pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.gms pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.apps.walletnfcrel pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.apps.youtube.music pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.gms.location.history pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.syncadapters.contacts pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.documentsui pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.projection.gearhead pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.egg pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.bookmarkprovider Facebook: pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.facebook.services pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.facebook.appmanager pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.facebook.system pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.facebook.katana[/B]

Use mainly open source applications
me too mate. still have to use whatsapp and hangouts though. I'm planning to buy a pinephone and then keep my current phone as a normie phone.
You can always go back and reinstall them
thank you very much for this list. Aren't these going to be installed again automatically when I do a factory reset

me too mate. still have to use whatsapp and hangouts though. I'm planning to buy a pinephone and then keep my current phone as a normie phone.

thank you very much for this list. Aren't these going to be installed again automatically when I do a factory reset
Yes.

Members online