Printer Installation

run the sudo rm command. Then
Code:
yaourt -Syyua --noconfirm
Which will update your system. Then you MUST restart again. For driver installation:
Code:
yaourt -S canon-pixma-mg5500-complete --noconfirm

Says no scanner detected.......
Okay. Search for Printers in the Application Launcher. You should find Ubuntu's Printer management tool. You will need to add the printer using that utility.

Okay. Search for Printers in the Application Launcher. You should find Ubuntu's Printer management tool. You will need to add the printer using that utility.

I don't see a printer management tool. In printing under system settings the printer is added

Code:
Which will update your system. Then you MUST restart again. For driver installation:
Code:

Is this how it should read:

Tue Jan 06-01:10:49-Ilium-~- yaourt -S canon-pixma-mg5500-complete --noconfirm
The URL http://aur.archlinux.org/rpc.php?type=multiinfo&arg[]=canon-pixma-mg5500-complete returned error : 301
sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression
Recent ML chatter:

Warning: stale installation, rerun with '-Syu'

:: The following packages should be upgraded first :
pacman
:: Do you want to cancel the current operation
:: and upgrade these packages now? [Y/n]

resolving dependencies...
warning: dependency cycle detected:
warning: ncurses will be installed before its bash dependency
looking for inter-conflicts...
:: lzo and lzo2 are in conflict. Remove lzo2? [y/N]
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: lzo and lzo2 are in conflict
No pacnew files to update.

Also, I got this from the other command:

Tue Jan 06-01:48:47-Ilium-~- sudo rm -f /var/lib/pacman/db.lck
Tue Jan 06-01:48:58-Ilium-~- yaourt -Syyua --noconfirmsed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression
Recent ML chatter:

Warning: stale installation, rerun with '-Syu'

:: Synchronizing package databases...
error: failed retrieving file 'catalyst.db' from catalyst.apocalypsus.net : Could not resolve host: catalyst.apocalypsus.net; Name or service not known
error: failed to update catalyst (download library error)
core 121.7 KiB 362K/s 00:00 100%
kde-unstable 29.0 B 416K/s 00:00 100%
extra 1807.5 KiB 1160K/s 00:02 100%
error: failed retrieving file 'xyne-any.db' from xyne.archlinux.ca : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed to update xyne-any (download library error)
archlinuxfr 19.5 KiB 1527K/s 00:00 100%
community 2.5 MiB 1203K/s 00:02 100%
multilib 121.9 KiB 335K/s 00:00 100%
No pacnew files to update.
error: failed to prepare transaction (unexpected error)
:: Starting full system upgrade...

Code:
Code:

So, I think I just need to reinstall ..... any suggestions? I do like Arch, but my son built it to what he wanted and maybe the reason it won't update is there are 3 user accounts on here....... it is also networked to the other computer, which I need to do, and there are probably a number of things on here I don't need......He tried to use virtual box for a windows program as well I think.....

So, I think I just need to reinstall ..... any suggestions? I do like Arch, but my son built it to what he wanted and maybe the reason it won't update is there are 3 user accounts on here....... it is also networked to the other computer, which I need to do, and there are probably a number of things on here I don't need......He tried to use virtual box for a windows program as well I think.....
If you Like how Ubuntu works you can always use that. Or maybe Mint.

If you Like how Ubuntu works you can always use that. Or maybe Mint.
I need to know how to go about all of it. I do like this Arch but don't need 3 user accounts etc. How do I change ..... uninstall/reinstall .... then I will choose what to run, is there anything out there that has a program similar to Quark Express?

I need to know how to go about all of it. I do like this Arch but don't need 3 user accounts etc. How do I change ..... uninstall/reinstall .... then I will choose what to run, is there anything out there that has a program similar to Quark Express?

You first want to identify and save anything you want to keep from your Arch install, if you haven't already. You might experiment for awhile with some different distros to see what appeals most to you... many will let you run "live" from a DVD or USB stick so you can try them out without making any permanent changes. You might discover some that will use your printer/scanner straight away. As @ryanvade suggested, Ubuntu or Linux Mint might be good choices for you.

You need to download an "ISO" file for the distro that you want to try. Then you have to use a special setting in your DVD burning software that is called something like "burn image" if using a DVD. You don't just copy the ISO file to a DVD... it won't boot. There are a few ways to get the ISO on to a USB, but it also has to be done correctly too so it will boot your computer. If you have access to a Windows computer, a program called Pendrive Linux usually works well to do this. Another program called unetbootin is available for Windows and Linux.

The ISO files are often available in both 32-bit and 64-bit formats. The 32-bit versions will run in any computer, but the 64-bit is usually better. When you ran the "uname -a" command earlier in this thread, it showed that you have a 64-bit computer, so I would recommend that you use those ISO's.

When you have a live DVD working and find what you like, it will also have the option to install to your computer. And it will overwrite and erase your Arch install if you want to do that, or it may also let you keep Arch if you want to keep it available too. "Dual booting" is a little more complicated, but it will probably work for you if you want to do that.

I'm not familiar with Quark Express but this link might give you some ideas... it has several programs that work in Linux that may be suitable:
http://www.appslick.com/quarkxpress-alternatives/

You first want to identify and save anything you want to keep from your Arch install, if you haven't already. You might experiment for awhile with some different distros to see what appeals most to you... many will let you run "live" from a DVD or USB stick so you can try them out without making any permanent changes. You might discover some that will use your printer/scanner straight away. As @ryanvade suggested, Ubuntu or Linux Mint might be good choices for you.

You need to download an "ISO" file for the distro that you want to try. Then you have to use a special setting in your DVD burning software that is called something like "burn image" if using a DVD. You don't just copy the ISO file to a DVD... it won't boot. There are a few ways to get the ISO on to a USB, but it also has to be done correctly too so it will boot your computer. If you have access to a Windows computer, a program called Pendrive Linux usually works well to do this. Another program called unetbootin is available for Windows and Linux.

The ISO files are often available in both 32-bit and 64-bit formats. The 32-bit versions will run in any computer, but the 64-bit is usually better. When you ran the "uname -a" command earlier in this thread, it showed that you have a 64-bit computer, so I would recommend that you use those ISO's.

When you have a live DVD working and find what you like, it will also have the option to install to your computer. And it will overwrite and erase your Arch install if you want to do that, or it may also let you keep Arch if you want to keep it available too. "Dual booting" is a little more complicated, but it will probably work for you if you want to do that.

I'm not familiar with Quark Express but this link might give you some ideas... it has several programs that work in Linux that may be suitable:
http://www.appslick.com/quarkxpress-alternatives/

Ok, I am getting brave, I have burned Ubuntu 14.04.2 to a disc....I can't seem to boot from it though, I restarted and don't see the option......

Ok, I am getting brave, I have burned Ubuntu 14.04.2 to a disc....I can't seem to boot from it though, I restarted and don't see the option......
Have you told us the make and model of your computer? You need to change either the BIOS , or the Boot Order, so that it will boot from the CD-Rom first before the Hard Drive.

This varies from computer to computer. Quite often it will tell you when you first boot up ---although it often flashes by quickly. It is often F2 or ESC to access BIOS or F10 to access Boot Order...

Have you told us the make and model of your computer? You need to change either the BIOS , or the Boot Order, so that it will boot from the CD-Rom first before the Hard Drive.

This varies from computer to computer. Quite often it will tell you when you first boot up ---although it often flashes by quickly. It is often F2 or ESC to access BIOS or F10 to access Boot Order...

It is an ASUS A53U series

When you boot up, as soon as you see the Asus screen, press F2. Be quick!

When you boot up, as soon as you see the Asus screen, press F2. Be quick!

That did not work......I hit it soon as it came up but it still went on to the next screen which I again hit f2 and it kept it from booting immediately:

GNU GRUB version 0.97 (630K lower/2744948K upper memory)

Arch Linux
Arch Linux Fallback

use the up/down arrow keys to select which entry is highlighted.
Press enter to boot the selected OS, 'e' to edit the commands before booting or 'c' for a command line.

'e' took me to this:
root (hd0,1)
kernel/boot/vimlinuz-linux root=/dev/sda2 ro nomodeset
initrd/boot/initramfs-linux.img

Use up/down arrows to select entry, 'b' to bot, 'e' to edit selected command in the boot sequence, 'c' for command line, 'o' to open new line after ('O' for before) the selected line, 'd' to remove selected line

THANKS to all who helped me here! With my nephew's help I now have an updated OS. I am sure I will have questions again about something lol.

The printer is now detected on my laptop but not the scanner........

Staff online

Members online