Printer Installation

C

Christina

How do I install a printer? My son put Linux on my computer and used to keep it up for me but he died 3 years ago and now I am lost......

Do you know which version of Linux you have?

If in doubt, open a Terminal and issue the command:
Code:
uname -a

And what printer do you want to install? MAKE and MODEL?

Do you know which version of Linux you have?

If in doubt, open a Terminal and issue the command:
Code:
uname -a

Sun Jan 04-03:04:33-Ilium-~- uname -a
Linux Ilium 3.2.8-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 27 21:51:46 CET 2012 x86_64 AMD E-450 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Hi Christina. I am also sorry for your loss. My son died 10 years ago and I think that you never really get over that. But you still have to keep going too. I know it's hard. :(

I may not be able to help much with your printer. For future reference, the HP brand of printers are usually easier to get working in Linux. But I have found some info that looks like you may can get your Canon working too.

The uname output looks like you are running Arch Linux, and I've never used that. But it looks like the CUPS printer libraries has a driver for you, so that is a start. I found the listing of files at https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/gutenprint/files/

I also found some deb and rpm packages with drivers for your printer, but I don't know how to install those in Arch Linux, so maybe someone can help with these. They are near the bottom of the page at http://otopsd.com/pixma-mg5522-drivers/

I hope one of our forum members will be able to help you more.

Hi Christina. I am also sorry for your loss. My son died 10 years ago and I think that you never really get over that. But you still have to keep going too. I know it's hard. :(

I may not be able to help much with your printer. For future reference, the HP brand of printers are usually easier to get working in Linux. But I have found some info that looks like you may can get your Canon working too.

I hope one of our forum members will be able to help you more.

Thank You, he was my only child..... No, I do not think I will ever get over it but am learning to keep going..... I will see what I can do.

I believe that printer may only be supported by Gutenprint. This means that Canon has not released official drivers for that printer on Linux.
Also please note that it appears your installation of Arch Linux is very outdated. This may cause issues with installing the drivers.
You will need to install the following packages:
Gutenprint
Cups
libcups
This can be done with the following:
Code:
sudo pacman -Syy gutenprint cups libcups

Then you have to enable Cups:
Code:
sudo systemctl enable org.cups.cupsd.service
Code:
sudo systemctl start org.cups.cupsd.service

Then you need to add your user account to the cups group:
Code:
sudo gpasswd -a $USERNAME lp
Code:
sudo gpasswd -a $USERNAME sys
insert your user name where you see $USERNAME

reboot and you should be able to use the Desktop environments built in printer control program to add the printer.

If that printer driver does not work, you may have to try one of the following:
Other Canon Printer Drivers

I believe that printer may only be supported by Gutenprint. This means that Canon has not released official drivers for that printer on Linux.
Also please note that it appears your installation of Arch Linux is very outdated. This may cause issues with installing the drivers.
You will need to install the following packages:

Thank You. Yes, it is very outdated, I did not know how to update it. I will try this in the morning. I think CUPS is already on here though. I found something that told me to check this address htp://localhost:631/ and it came up with the page it was supposed to. I will check on it.

Cups is probably installed then. Updating Arch Linux can be done with the following:
Code:
sudo pacman -Syyu
But with it being outdated you may run into issues such as having to upgrade the pacman data base. Arch is not exactly a User friendly distribution.

Thank You, he was my only child..... No, I do not think I will ever get over it but am learning to keep going..... I will see what I can do.

Mine was my only child too. So sad. It's not supposed to be like that, but it happens.

Glad you have @ryanvade helping you! I think if anyone can get you on track, it's him. You do seem very computer-savvy though, so I think you have a number of options that you can pursue, if needed. And this website is a great resource to help with whatever you choose to do.

Canon Pixma MG5522
You may be out of luck with Canon printers. I have not used this particular model, but I have yet to get any Canon printer I have worked with, to work with Linux. HP printers are the best choice for Linux.

My sincere condolences on the loss of your son.

My first problem is not with the printer, it is with "Linux Ilium". Even a Google search brings no real result. A bit of a mystery, does it work with .debs or .rpms? Do you know what Desktop Environment/Windows Manager is uses?

When I look for a Canon Pixma MG5522 Linux Driver it says
There is no driver for the OS Version you selected. The driver may be included in your OS or you may not need a driver.
--- http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppo...xma_mg_series/pixma_mg5522#DriversAndSoftware

I think that the 5522 is one of the 5500 series. Have you e.g. seen http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=175781

Cups is probably installed then. Updating Arch Linux can be done with the following:
Code:
sudo pacman -Syyu
But with it being outdated you may run into issues such as having to upgrade the pacman data base. Arch is not exactly a User friendly distribution.

Yes, it is very outdated and no updates have been done because I was afraid of messing something up. My son loved it, he loved to set it all up and could do the line by line stuff. He was on these forums a bit too....Theavataroftime. I have been considering changing OS but have not been brave enough, would not know what to choose. At work I use Mac OS 10 with Quark Express on it. I would like to have an OS similar and if possible Quark so I can work from home. Also something similar to photoshop.

My first problem is not with the printer, it is with "Linux Ilium". Even a Google search brings no real result. A bit of a mystery, does it work with .debs or .rpms? Do you know what Desktop Environment/Windows Manager is uses?

Ilium is the host name he gave the computer, it is Arch with KDE desktop.

In this case Ilium is just the name of the computer. The distribution is Arch and as you said the Desktop Environment is KDE. If you want help updating your system just let me know.

As @arochester and @rstanley have mentioned you may be out of luck with your canon printer. Since CUPS is installed already lets see if the printer is already detected.

Open a web browser and go to the following site:
Code:
localhost:631
This should open CUPS web management. Then under CUPS administration click on Adding printers and Classes. Then under Printers click Find new Printers. If the Canon printer is discovered over the network it should be listed here.

In this case Ilium is just the name of the computer. The distribution is Arch and as you said the Desktop Environment is KDE. If you want help updating your system just let me know.

As @arochester and @rstanley have mentioned you may be out of luck with your canon printer. Since CUPS is installed already lets see if the printer is already detected.

Open a web browser and go to the following site:
Code:
localhost:631
This should open CUPS web management. Then under CUPS administration click on Adding printers and Classes. Then under Printers click Find new Printers. If the Canon printer is discovered over the network it should be listed here.

Does not detect it........I would love help updating or installing a new OS.
What if I hooked up with a usb, would that make it work? This computer is a laptop. My son's computer is a monster, he built it and it has 3 or 4 hard drives in it. I had a friend put a new OS on as one of the hard drives died and he could not figure out Arch. uname says --- Linux Avalon 3.2.0-24-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Mon May 21 16:52:17 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Members online

Latest posts