prefix to start google search in DuckDuckGo....

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
Did that title make sense..?

I have duckduckgo set as my default search engine. privacy is main reason. I am fed to the teeth with resetting googles 'privacy' controls. (Am i a touch paranoid, or do those privacy controls reset themselves every now and then ? )
In addition I also have uBlock Origin installed in Firefox to negate the google beacons which are present in every website

I bring up a search page, either by opening a new tab....or clicking on ctrl alt c (which I have preset as a shortcut to open a search page)

On occasion (many occasions) i prefer the search results which google will offer up instead of duckduck's offering

To have the search routed via duckduck, but completed by google is simply a matter of typing in !g in front of the search term. eg, !g horses will return a google search for horses, but the instigator of the search on googles servers etc will be duckduckgo....not me.

Is there a way that will automatically insert the !g at the start of every search I do ?....so that I can be ultra lazy and not have to type it in every time ? sort of like a keyboard shortcut??....does this make sense ???

I spend my days doing a lot of searching.

Brian

I'd bet @JasKinasis would have an idea.

What he doesn't know about DDG, scripting and Aliases &c is not worth mentioning :)

Wiz

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install autokey-gtk

If you find El Dorado, remember who's your best cyber buddy :D

Wiz

Thank you Wiz !!!!

El Dorado has been found.

I found autohotkey - gtk in Software manager....(Seeing its name in your post triggered a memory....)

Took a little bit of screwing around to get it to cooperate....but I got it !

Now.......i press ctrl+alt+c to open a duckduckgo search page......and then ctrl+z to enter the !g at the start of my search.

Or...if any webpage is already open I click on the + to open a new tab....hit ctrl+z ......that inputs the !g and away I go

Searching with my choice of search engine.... with a touch of zoom....

ps does this mean I should approach one day with (ahem) beer..?....

Last edited:
does this mean I should approach one day with (ahem) beer..?....

You can approach any day with beer ;), and always welcome.

I put it on my iteration of Sylvia Cinnamon I keep around for yourself and others, and I note it carves a spot in System Tray.

Looks handy, I will have to play with it.

Cheers

Wiz

BTW it has been around for years, apparently ... first time I have come across it

The only little additional thing I needed to do was to add autohotkey to the list of startup applications.....(so that it starts with the pc)

I will think of other things to use this app for....the mind is a tad occupied at the moment....my darling wife has an errant wisdom tooth which needs immediate attention.....so learning about auto will have to come later.

Did that title make sense..?

I have duckduckgo set as my default search engine. privacy is main reason. I am fed to the teeth with resetting googles 'privacy' controls. (Am i a touch paranoid, or do those privacy controls reset themselves every now and then ? )
In addition I also have uBlock Origin installed in Firefox to negate the google beacons which are present in every website

I bring up a search page, either by opening a new tab....or clicking on ctrl alt c (which I have preset as a shortcut to open a search page)

On occasion (many occasions) i prefer the search results which google will offer up instead of duckduck's offering

To have the search routed via duckduck, but completed by google is simply a matter of typing in !g in front of the search term. eg, !g horses will return a google search for horses, but the instigator of the search on googles servers etc will be duckduckgo....not me.

Is there a way that will automatically insert the !g at the start of every search I do ?....so that I can be ultra lazy and not have to type it in every time ? sort of like a keyboard shortcut??....does this make sense ???

Brian

Hi,

I am the main developer of Jive Search, which is basically an open source version of DuckDuckGo. It has better privacy than DDG because we are open source. When you do a query on Jive Search we give you some !bang buttons to do what you want to do. (You can change the !bang buttons by passing in the "&b" parameter...e.g. "&b=a,yt").

Attachments

• default_bangs.png
    default_bangs.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 486
Just a heads up Brian, that's "autokey" not "autohotkey", :)

@Brent Adamson welcome to linux.org.

Your Post here is technically off-Topic, but thanks for the information.

You might be better served to start your own Thread, here in General Linux would be OK, and tell us about Jive Search.

Depending on the decision of our Site Administrator, @Rob - that might go under Moderation, but I will leave that to him.

In such a Thread, you might also tell us whether you are in any fashion connected with Aurea's Jive Software, which feature intranet search capability.

I like the avatar BTW

THanks

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online

Latest posts