Preferred OS for servers.

Akshat Tripathi

Reaction score
Credits
Good noon all, I was curious to know which Linux OS you use for your server works. I personally work on cent os. What according to you is the best OS for server related works?

While I made sure to know all of the differences and how to use each professionally, my go-to for servers is CentOS.. I respect the Debian choosers, however :)

At work, Ubuntu server is really gaining popularity.. not sure why.

While I made sure to know all of the differences and how to use each professionally, my go-to for servers is CentOS.. I respect the Debian choosers, however :)

At work, Ubuntu server is really gaining popularity.. not sure why.
Thanks for your reply. Can you please tell me why you prefer centos more than debian os?

Akshat, I'd say it depends on what you're building the server for and your preferred OS. If you're building it for work, in an enterprise setting, then RHEL is the best option. You get support for your servers and sometimes you need experts to reach out to, who will get you your answers ASAP. RHEL gives you that. However, if you're just building a server at home and you prefer Ubuntu on your desktop, then Ubuntu Server may be your best bet. However, if you have RedHat at work, and you're building a server at home, then Fedora Server or CentOS (if they have a server edition, which they probably do) would be your best bet, to keep things the same at work and at home. Like desktop distros, I doubt any are better than any other. It's just what you prefer.

Akshat, I'd say it depends on what you're building the server for and your preferred OS. If you're building it for work, in an enterprise setting, then RHEL is the best option. You get support for your servers and sometimes you need experts to reach out to, who will get you your answers ASAP. RHEL gives you that. However, if you're just building a server at home and you prefer Ubuntu on your desktop, then Ubuntu Server may be your best bet. However, if you have RedHat at work, and you're building a server at home, then Fedora Server or CentOS (if they have a server edition, which they probably do) would be your best bet, to keep things the same at work and at home. Like desktop distros, I doubt any are better than any other. It's just what you prefer.
Thanks for your informative reply. I work with Centos servers which are quite awesome. Haven't worked with debian servers much tbh.

Members online

Latest posts