Power save in Budgie

lekkerlinux

Reaction score
Credits
I am using the Budgie desktop in Antergos (Linux 5.1.4) and the power saving setting doesn't work at all. I can see that I have Gnome version 3.32.2.

Is there a way to fix this and are other DE more reliable? (XFCE or KDE)

Everything else works flawlessly.

Powersaving works with gnome on my arch, so it will work on your Antergos too.
sudo pacman - S gnome gnome-software

To install gnome.
Then just choose gnome in, your display-manager.

Oh I see. I thought that Budgie desktop was a fork of Gnome. I like Budgie, I just want to bend the fork straight.

So I 'm trying to fix my Budgie, installing Gnome would be plan b.

I don't use Antergos and being Arch based I'm not going to be any help. :(

I have tried Budgie and I found several things that just didn't work and that may be the same using Budgie desktop although uncertain. :(

I have tried Budgie and I found several things that just didn't work

I think you are absolutely right! I tried Manjaro Gnome with the live environment and the power save feature works, although it only makes the screen go black and not switch it off. I was using Lubuntu before Antergos and it had a nice feature that switched off the screen power after set time.

I gave Antergos a try because I had problems with Ubuntu based distros, I think it had more to do with the Linux 4.18 kernel than anything else.

I don't know much about Arch Linux either, apart from that it works great on my five year old PC, except the few Budgie related cliches.

so it will work on your Antergos too

It is a Budgie problem after all. I tried out Manjaro Gnome Live and the power save feature works on the same PC. It's a real shame because I like Budgie desktop but it still has some problems to iron out.

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

The OP also has a Thread here to which the following applies:

https://www.linux.org/threads/switch-to-lts-in-antergos.23560/#post-70124

The OP also has Threads at Antergos, under the name debiandonder, addressing the same issues, and they are current as recently as a few hours ago.

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/11759/power-saving-setting

and

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/11772/lts-kernel

@lekkerlinux and to other newer Members - while we can appreciate your enthusiasm to get your question answered or a problem fixed, we cannot be mindreaders and a lot of people can spend a lot of time researching a matter that is already solved or on the way to being solved elsewhere.

If you are not getting the answers you need elsewhere, please try to have your Thread "there" closed before coming to us, and the same applies in reverse, out of consideration to other website's helpers.

Thank you for your consideration.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

The above being said - I took the trouble to install Antergos Budgie over the weekend, in order to get a better feel for your issue.

Under Budgie, the power saving does not appear to work at all.

You are likely aware that at login, you also have the option to choose 2 x Gnome, 1 Gnome Classic and 1 Gnome -Xorg.

I tried the Xorg option and still no joy with power saving.

I already have an Antergos KDE on board, and its Power Saving works fine.

Wizard

The above being said - I took the trouble to install Antergos Budgie over the weekend, in order to get a better feel for your issue.

Under Budgie, the power saving does not appear to work at all.

You are likely aware that at login, you also have the option to choose 2 x Gnome, 1 Gnome Classic and 1 Gnome -Xorg.

I tried the Xorg option and still no joy with power saving.

I already have an Antergos KDE on board, and its Power Saving works fine.

Wizard

You are absolutely right and thank you for going to the trouble. I tried Manjaro Gnome in live environment and the power saving thing works fine there, but I didn't like the interface.

I then tried Manjaro XFCE and it not only has the option of making the screen go black but also switching it off after a while. Manjaro also uses only one Linux kernel, namely the LTS one. Therefore Manjaro XFCE would hit my two birds with one stone. I have just grown fond of Budgie over last week. It pretty but everything doesn't work like the power save thing and update notification and so on.

In the end one has to get practical and choose the more reliable option. In my way of thinking anyway.

Members online