Potential network problem with Linux which doesn't exist in Windoze.

Greek Les

Reaction score
Credits
Hi All,
New to this - both forum & Linux. Have meant to try Linux for many years but had a very bad experience a few years ago which blackened my opinion of it. However, Linux appears to have moved a long way forward in those intervening years & now seems to be more "Windows user friendly" to users who don't want to plough through thousands of settings to be up & running.

But, I have a problem, probably peculiar to me, but still a problem.

I recently installed Manjaro on a spare machine which also acts as a media storage machine & general workhorse when needed. Quad core AMD, 32g of DDR3, 6.5TB storage, connected to 16port switch for local streaming & storage for a variety of devices & in turn via a hardware firewall for internet access.
Due to the hardware I do not have - or want - password access for local network users to any other device connected to the switch. This is impossible for Manjaro to handle. I would have to set up a password on each device, probably the same one, but that then creates additional soundbites - the wife & other users moaning about having passwords if they don't always work automatically every time.

So, bottom line, does anyone know of a Linux version, 64bit, that allows the user to have network access to other devices without insisting on them having password protection?

Hoping that someone has a suggestion.

It's not a linux problem, it's a hrdware problem.

Linux is certainly capable of using REST hashes, and ssh keys to get around asking for passwords.
If you're really ambitious you can even setup LDAP and Active Directory.

However your router/switch may not be capable of this.

Seemed to be software to me.
Only Manjaro, don't know about any other "flavours", but when I went to a section about accessing other devices & files on the network it asked which network followed by a password. I tried leaving password blank but it "wouldn't have it", just kept regurging the same thing.
When I asked on the Manjaro forum I got a "why would you want to do that, it's not secure" message (well, actually, because I'm the user & that's my requirement, & I'm more secure than 99% of internet users!) followed by, what came to, try another flavour. Well, very basic, I'm a potential new user with a fairly simple requirement that seems to be a major hurdle at first use.
Switch is genuine 16port Cisco. Router, handling user IP's, is Cosmote (ISP) badged Deutsche Telcomm. product. Router is a difficult one to replace as the Cosmote telephony system is going over to voip, but it seems to be fairly competent.
Off to mainland for a few days but will google your suggestions when I get back.

Seemed to be software to me.
Only Manjaro, don't know about any other "flavours", but when I went to a section about accessing other devices & files on the network it asked which network followed by a password. I tried leaving password blank but it "wouldn't have it", just kept regurging the same thing.
When I asked on the Manjaro forum I got a "why would you want to do that, it's not secure" message (well, actually, because I'm the user & that's my requirement, & I'm more secure than 99% of internet users!) followed by, what came to, try another flavour. Well, very basic, I'm a potential new user with a fairly simple requirement that seems to be a major hurdle at first use.
Switch is genuine 16port Cisco. Router, handling user IP's, is Cosmote (ISP) badged Deutsche Telcomm. product. Router is a difficult one to replace as the Cosmote telephony system is going over to voip, but it seems to be fairly competent.
Off to mainland for a few days but will google your suggestions when I get back.
Looks like Manjaro hasn't changed from when I used it for a while. I got tired of all the lies, missing applications, certain things not set up, hostile forum, and no support but an over abundance amount of lame lying excuses that I got rid of that rubbish. I recommend you go with a different distro. Good luck.

You summed it up quite well with the "hostile forum" one, I'd have thought that they'd be trying to encourage people to try rather than alienating from the start.
Already concluded (as advised by the Manjaro forum) that I need to try a different distro, just trying to find out if anyone had any thoughts about which one(s) may suit my requirement. Didn't realise there were quite so many different flavours available now & wanted to save some time.

Totally disagree with the comments both on Manjaro and their Forum, but I have to sign off for my evening in Australia so I'll return tomorrow.

@Greek Les welcome to linux.org :)

Perhaps you can share a link to your questions at Manjaro and I can take a look.

Cheers and stay safe

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

You summed it up quite well with the "hostile forum" one, I'd have thought that they'd be trying to encourage people to try rather than alienating from the start.
Already concluded (as advised by the Manjaro forum) that I need to try a different distro, just trying to find out if anyone had any thoughts about which one(s) may suit my requirement. Didn't realise there were quite so many different flavours available now & wanted to save some time.
I don't know which distro would be best for you. I use MX Linux because of MX Tools makes things easier. I recommend you try out distros using a Live USB to see which one suits you best without going through all the trouble of installing. Then you can install the one you like later.

Thread has been moved to "Linux Networking", as that's a more specific sub-forum (and is also good practice to make sure that I know how to move threads properly).

So, those involved should take note of the change, but thread notifications should still work and send you here automagically.

Hi, Super Mod.
Something went missing as thead notifications not working now.

Totally disagree with the comments both on Manjaro and their Forum, but I have to sign off for my evening in Australia so I'll return tomorrow.

@Greek Les welcome to linux.org :)

Perhaps you can share a link to your questions at Manjaro and I can take a look.

Cheers and stay safe

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
Hi,
Unfortunately, unable to pass the link from that machine to my laptop as Manjaro wouldn't let me access it, so had to type this out:-
"https://forum.manjaro.org/t/accessing-win-pc-user-has-no-password/56740"
hope I got it right.
Just discovered the edit feature that allows you to put quotes around the url - wht don't all forums have that???

Members online

Latest posts