Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd please sign up again. Thanks!

Post Your Desktop!

Discussion in 'Desktop / X' started by Harikrishnan R, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Hi everyone
    I spent this weekend configuring my newly installed Xubuntu and customizing the UI. I guess most people don't use a desktop in here, but if you do I'd love to see your desktop. Please mention whatever tools you've used like widgets, clocks etc.
    Here's mine:

It's Xubuntu 13.10 with Cairo-Dock and Conky (Gotham and Seamod). The wallpaper is a glider I found online :)

#1 Harikrishnan R, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    9 people like this.
  2. I have Ubuntu 13.10 (AMD64). On my desktop, I have Cairo-Dock. I used to have screenlets, but it crashed often. I use Wallch to change my wallpaper randomly. Sometimes, I have Wallch display a live image of Earth.

10 people like this.
  3. Codypy1

Codypy1 Guest

Well I have recently abandoned Arch, Slack because I got tired of using them. So I switched over to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. As you can see I don't like anything fancy. Unity is bleh Gnome 3 is bleh. Everything else beyond is bleh. So I'm just using good old gnome classic.

6 people like this.
  4. Good old gnome :)
    Try xfce. I'm a gnome 2 fan too. Xfce is gnome-2-ish.
  5. [​IMG]

Debian with Openbox, tint2 and three Conkies.
    7 people like this.
  6. I like the hanging body in the wallpaper image. :D
    1 person likes this.
  7. So do I.:D
    I downloaded the image from Deviant Art. It is supposed to be a so-called "mediaeval" fantasy picture.
    1 person likes this.
  8. alug_Doc

alug_Doc Guest

My desktop is really boring.

Linux Mint 13 (MATE). I keep it clean and functional.
    2 people like this.
  9. Simple is good. Always remember KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid
    3 people like this.
  10. alug_Doc

alug_Doc Guest

Yep, that's me. Simple and stupid.

Wait??? What!!! :)
    1 person likes this.
  11. GlennJohnson

GlennJohnson Guest

Here's mine. Fedora 20 and Cinnamon with a couple Conky's . The background is from CentOS. Screenshot-desktop.png
    7 people like this.
  12. I like your desktop. It looks like a graphical command-line with all of the Conky tools.
    1 person likes this.
  13. rko25118

rko25118 Guest

Here is mine. Screenshot from 2013-12-13 21:46:56.png
    BTW, running LinuxMint 16 with cario-dock and a few extras
    #13 rko25118, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    8 people like this.
  14. Cairo-dock! Some people love it, others (like me) despise it. The beauty of choice.:D
    2 people like this.
  15. Your system almost looks like OS X. Great job.
    1 person likes this.
  16. nephilim

nephilim Guest

This is my "mobile" setup for my laptop when it's away from the desk. I'm diggin' the simplicity and speed of #!

#16 nephilim, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    7 people like this.
  17. Looks hacker-ish :D
  18. Yesyesloud

Yesyesloud Guest

Ubuntu minimal running openbox with a custom lxpanel. Wallpaper made in gimp...
    #18 Yesyesloud, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    5 people like this.
  19. alug_Doc

alug_Doc Guest

Let me show you my latest desktop build:

My wife's old XP machine finally died. Thankfully!

The case and power supply (420 W) are in awesome shape. They should be. It was a replacement case that we used to transplant the guts out of the old case a number of years ago.

Got the case, got the power supply. I already had 4 GB of RAM and a 500 GB hard drive setting around in surplus. So all I needed was:

* GIGABYTE GA-H61M-S1 LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - About $40 after mail-in rebate.
    * Intel Pentium G2020 Ivy Bridge 2.9GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics - $68

The most expensive part of the build...

You guessed it!

* Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM - $100

Why? Because I could. And because sometimes we still need a Windows machine for work to run certain software that will not run on Linux, in WINE, or in VirtualBox.

But in my defense, I went the cheapest, best route I could find.

And just to appease Richard Stallman who would stand before an audience and ask, "Show of hands, please. How many of you have pirated software on your computers?" I have none. Every software package is either OEM or legitimately licensed to me.

To keep score: I have six Linux machines to one Windows 7 (and it is 7) computer. I'm not one of those Microsoft haters (nor am I a fan), and I'm certainly not one of the snobby Linux elitists who insist that you call it "GNU/Linux."
    #19 alug_Doc, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    2 people like this.
  20. Yesyesloud

Yesyesloud Guest

Why not post some more of your 6 linux desktops on linux.org instead of your single w7 build? Just asking...

I rather not question your immaculate integrity, but paying $100 for windows... I'd be better off buying some piece of high-end hardware. But, hey, everyone has their software needs :)
    #20 Yesyesloud, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.