Post a screenshot of your Desktop

TheProf

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I've updated my setup a little bit. Now running Manjaro with KDE Plasma as a DE.

1630324139091.jpeg

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I've updated my setup a little bit. Now running Manjaro with KDE Plasma as a DE.
Are you using X11 or Wayland with KDE Plasma? I experimented on a vm with different DE's this last weekend and I couldn't get used to having a full DE again. I guess Sway and i3wm have got me hooked because my work flow feels easier because I don't have to manage my own windows, as well as easily being able to configure key-binds for my most used applications.

TheProf

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Are you using X11 or Wayland with KDE Plasma? I experimented on a vm with different DE's this last weekend and I couldn't get used to having a full DE again. I guess Sway and i3wm have got me hooked because my work flow feels easier because I don't have to manage my own windows, as well as easily being able to configure key-binds for my most used applications.

I am using X11, I tried with wayland but I cant get it to login, just throws me back to the login screen when I try to sign in. I haven't had much time to troubleshoot yet, so I stayed with X11.

Also, in KDE you can pretty much configure keyboard shortcuts to launch any app and with Krohnkite, you also have that window manager setup (which is what I do).

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I am using X11, I tried with wayland but I cant get it to login, just throws me back to the login screen when I try to sign in. I haven't had much time to troubleshoot yet, so I stayed with X11.

Also, in KDE you can pretty much configure keyboard shortcuts to launch any app and with Krohnkite, you also have that window manager setup (which is what I do).
I just remembered you have Nvidia card and are using the proprietary drivers, I remember reading somewhere that Wayland doesn't play well with Nvidia drivers so I would think that is most likely the problem.

TheProf

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I just remembered you have Nvidia card and are using the proprietary drivers, I remember reading somewhere that Wayland doesn't play well with Nvidia drivers so I would think that is most likely the problem.

I thought so too, but from my experience even with the new nvidia drivers, not really working well. I would say works almost perfectly on gnome, but even with gnome, there are some weird bugs that made me go back to X11

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
No need for the 10 after windows either.
Code:
neofetch --ascii_distro windows
produces the same ascii art
I looked it up in the man page, there it specifically states windows7 and windows10 separately, seems they have not updated the man-page but good to know. Cheers!

P.S About your signature I dislike miners because they are the cause of these extreme prices with graphics cards now days so hopefully you aren't hosting a mining farm.

Mastabruce

Reaction score
Credits
I looked it up in the man page, there it specifically states windows7 and windows10 separately, seems they have not updated the man-page but good to know. Cheers!

P.S About your signature I dislike miners because they are the cause of these extreme prices with graphics cards now days so hopefully you aren't hosting a mining farm.
No farm, Graphics card prices are dropping as supply comes back to normal. EIP1559 will also slow down the grabbing of cards. Luckily for you i've only purchased used 8GB cards for my mining purposes ;) I haven't gone near an RTX card for mining.

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
No farm, Graphics card prices are dropping as supply comes back to normal. EIP1559 will also slow down the grabbing of cards. Luckily for you i've only purchased used 8GB cards for my mining purposes ;) I haven't gone near an RTX card for mining.
Good to know you aren't hosting a farm but doing it for yourself. I jumped ship from team Green to team Red with my last graphics card. I'm afraid though that the prices will never go back to normal since the mid-range cards are still near $700-800, when I bought mine at launch it was over $1000.

Last edited:

TheProf

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits

I've managed to find to the fix for the login issue with Wayland + nvidia in Manjaro, not sure if it's the same fix on other distros with KDE (Didnt have to do this in Fedora on gnome or KDE).

To fix the issue, you have to add the nvidia-drm.modeset=1 kernel paramter. After a reboot, I can login with no issues.

I've tested it a bit, and it is similar to the issues I was experiencing in Fedora.

I am not sure if its nvidia ready yet... even though technically it should be. X11 seems more stable with less bugs, at least on my system that is, cant speak for others.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
RHEL [Running] - Oracle VM VirtualBox_001.png

Xfce running on a RHEL VM. It's just the stock look, inasmuch as you can have a 'stock look' for Xfce on RHEL. It's not too difficult to get installed, but it's not supported and not in the default RHEL repos. EPEL will get you started.

Why? I'm thinking about using RHEL as a workstation OS on a box and I really, really dislike GNOME.

LiLiu

Reaction score
Credits
I am a die-hard Linux User, but I appreciate the UI / UX style of Mac OS X, and thus the latest round of customizations of my KDE Desktop on my school laptop, spurned by wanting to create a theme that better suited the silver-black colors of it.

Screenshot_20210901_150350 (Shareable).png

Last edited:

wizardfromoz

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Just a tip to some of the above Members (not you, @LiLiu )

Please do remember the Thread Title is

Post a screenshot of your Desktop

There is a lot of Off Topic content here, and while the content of the posts contain some valuable information, that info would better serve our community in structured Threads elsewhere, not here.

TIA folks, and enjoy your Linux.

Chris

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Members online