Possible SQL database issue?

ThinkPad

Reaction score
Credits
So I think that one of the packages I'm trying to install is having an issue due to QSL problems?

myqsl command isn't found. So if I try to install it, the package isn't found

sudo apt-get install mysql-apt-config
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package mysql-apt-config

or

$ sudo apt-get install mysql
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package mysql

So I tried sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

and that went through the process, but I'm still having difficulty. Most of what I've done is from searching on the internet as I'm new to this. What am I missing?

Thanks.

Can I assume that when you write "QSL" that you actually mean "SQL"? If so, I recommend that you edit the title - it might get more attention for your thread.

Can I assume that when you write "QSL" that you actually mean "SQL"? If so, I recommend that you edit the title - it might get more attention for your thread.
Thanks for spotting that, one handed typing at the moment because I have a week old baby boy in the other arm all day, so plenty of mistakes being made :)

Last edited:
The package name is probably different what of mysql are you wanting to install exactly?

Last edited:
The package name is probably different what of mysql are you wanting to install exactly?

Thanks for the tip. I suppose in that case what I should try and do is work out what I've done and what I need and work out if I can remove any mistakes.

A quick package search on a mostly-default system suggests those package names don't exist among the default repositories. There are a number of MySQL options in there, but none by the name(s) you were using with your apt command.

I've been playing about and I'm not really sure what's going on now. This was all because I wanted to install Linlog, as suggested in my other thread, but I've ran into issues and can't really see what's going on. I'm too new to this to be doing this I think. I'll probably just find something else to use.

I don't know why, but how I've got the software working to connect to the sql database, was to enter

$mysql -u linuxlog -p

then it logs the linuxlog user in, then

mysql>show databases;

then I can use LinuxLog, But I have to do the above after every restart, although the database is already running and the user permissions are set. No big deal as after playing about with LinuxLog, I don't think I'll be using it.

But I have to do the above after every restart, although the database is already running and the user permissions are set. No big deal as after playing about with LinuxLog, I don't think I'll be using it.
That's because you have to login to mysql in order to access the database but you can configure it to login without a password so it's working as it supposed to. What else where you expecting?

That's because you have to login to mysql in order to access the database but you can configure it to login without a password so it's working as it supposed to. What else where you expecting?

It should already have been logged in by default from start up, set by the installation, that's what's meant to happen. I am a bit new to this, so wasn't expecting anything else.

It should already have been logged in by default from start up, set by the installation, that's what's meant to happen. I am a bit new to this, so wasn't expecting anything else.
It's a known thing that you have to login into the database before you can view the tables. What exactly where you trying to do or expecting to happen?

It's a known thing that you have to login into the database before you can view the tables. What exactly where you trying to do or expecting to happen?

I were viewing the tables, as LinLog couldn't access them, until I manually logged in. I wasn't expecting anything in particular as I wasn't sure what the issue was. As I say, the log in should have been set to happen at start up by default according to the installer.

I were viewing the tables, as LinLog couldn't access them, until I manually logged in. I wasn't expecting anything in particular as I wasn't sure what the issue was. As I say, the log in should have been set to happen at start up by default according to the installer.
That is strange, if mysql is running the databases are accessible so it must be a LinuxLog thing then but I have never heard of that software.

Members online