Porteus with EFI booting

K

Kryyll

This thread is in reply to @appyface

To start, you will need an x64 copy of Porteus GNU/Linux. If you go to their site you can download the newest version, but you will want to use the Porteus Wizard to select the 64-bit version and choose some other features you'd like. Once that's done, get TWO thumb drives, one for the initial boot and the other for the main OS. Install Porteus on the one you do NOT want to use. Then, reboot your computer and boot into the Porteus system. Make sure you boot into "Always Fresh" mode.

Note: This machine will have to be a BIOS machine.

Once in the system, get internet connection and go to https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=2212 and download the BASH script that brokenman created. Now, plug in the thumb drive that you want to use. You may or may not have to mount it, I don't remember. Anywho, run the BASH script. It will ask you to specify the device you want to install the EFI booting on. MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE THE RIGHT ONE, THIS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING OFF THE DEVICE AND INSTALL AN EFI BOOTING PORTEUS SYSTEM ON IT. Most likely, it will be /dev/sdc but double check to make sure.

Note: It will ask if you want to install an ext2, ext3, ext4, or fat32 file system. I recommend using ext4 or any of the other ext ones. Do not use fat32 because you need to do more work and you have to install another thing which is stupid.

Just say yes to everything in the script, but I do recommend reading what the script tells you just in case! After you finish the script you are almost done! Now, mount the second partition (most likely /dev/sdc2) and open it up in the file manager. Enter the 'porteus' directory. You will see a file that is something along the lines of 'porteus-v3.0-x86_64.sgn' (the v3.0 might be something different depending on what version you installed), right click and rename this file to 'porteus-v2.1-x86_64.sgn' (basically change the version to 2.1).

Note: The reason we have to rename this file is because the EFI boot script looks for a .sgn for version 2.1, well, we don't have 2.1, so instead of editing the script, we can just change the name of the .sgn file and it will work. :)

Now, unmount your new Porteus EFI booting thumb drive. Last thing to do is reboot and boot off of that device!

***IMPORTANT NOTE: MAKE SURE YOU ARE BOOTING ON AN EFI BOOTING MACHINE, THIS WILL NOT WORK ON A REGULAR BIOS MACHINE****

If you want to make your device persistent, just boot into 'save' mode every time you boot. Since we chose an ext file system we don't need to make a special file to save everything in.

Tell me how it goes and if you have any issues contact me! :) Have fun!

Thanks so much Kryyll! I will give this a try and let you know if I run into any issues.

Members online