Portable Hard drive

Baddc053

Reaction score
Credits
I've been using the same WD passport for years. I recently switched EVERYTHING from Windows to Linux Mint. I replaced it on both a laptop & desktop. The laptop install works flawlessly, not so with the desktop, but that isn't my question. The desktop now resides in the closet.
My big question , I'm having issues with the passport, slow on saving and many errors. It needs to be replaced. Any thoughts on a passport type hard drive that is compatible with Linux? I don't want something that MAY be compatible, I want something that IS compatible.

I thank you in advance on this.

Where should I post questions regarding software for Linux, I've a few basic ones, and in my haste installing, I had a senior moment and forgot to backup the Windows stuff.

Welcome young'en
you can ask general questions on this forum, if our esteemed moderators feel it would be better elsewhere they will move it, if it's about specific hardware use the hardware forum or if it's distribution specific in the relevant distribution forums

If you want encryption, add it yourself. That way, any external drive works and you, and only you, are in control of the keys. I'm a strong proponent of controlling your own data and relying on your own tools.

As for your last question:

Where should I post questions regarding software for Linux, I've a few basic ones, and in my haste installing, I had a senior moment and forgot to backup the Windows stuff.

I say put things in the *most appropriate* sub-forum. When in doubt, there's always the 'general computing' section. We mods and admins are comfortable moving posts if you put it in the wrong section, just pay attention to where we put it and learn from that.

I'm having issues with the passport, slow on saving and many errors. It needs to be replaced. Any thoughts on a passport type hard drive that is compatible with Linux? I don't want something that MAY be compatible, I want something that IS compatible.

Every USB flash drive and USB external hard drive I have ever used works with linux. I have 2 WD passports right now (as well as a few others). If you have any Windows (or Mac) systems at all, I would format the drives as exFAT. They are normally
formatted as FAT32. Windows 11 like NTFS, but most Linux's don't support it by default. Linux reads/writes to FAT32 just fine.
However Linux has a file size limitation under FAT32. This doesn't exist with exFAT.

(You can "mount" NTFS, but that's a little different).

Since I don't use these drives for anything at all but Linux, I typically format them as either EXT4 or XFS.
If the drive is bigger than 1T, I would highly recommend using a GPT partition table. There are a few utilities
that let Windows system read/write to EXT4 formatted disks, but to be honest, I haven't had good luck with them.

If you need the drive for both Windows and Linux, I recommend using GPT/exFAT.
If it's only ever going to be used for Linux, I recommend GPT/EXT4.

The other thing I have done sometimes, is create two (or more) partitions on the hard drive,
I format 1 partition as EXT4, and the other partition as exFAT. Linux will see both partitions,
but Windows will only see the exFAT side.

Chances are, there is nothing really wrong with your drive. If you have a large enough drive on your computer,
copy everything over to it. Re-format your portable drive, and copy everything back. Most likely it will work
faster again.

Attachments

• 20221111_153533.jpg
    20221111_153533.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Every USB flash drive and USB external hard drive I have ever used works with linux. I have 2 WD passports right now (as well as a few others). If you have any Windows (or Mac) systems at all, I would format the drives as exFAT. They are normally
formatted as FAT32. Windows 11 like NTFS, but most Linux's don't support it by default. Linux reads/writes to FAT32 just fine.
However Linux has a file size limitation under FAT32. This doesn't exist with exFAT.

(You can "mount" NTFS, but that's a little different).

Since I don't use these drives for anything at all but Linux, I typically format them as either EXT4 or XFS.
If the drive is bigger than 1T, I would highly recommend using a GPT partition table. There are a few utilities
that let Windows system read/write to EXT4 formatted disks, but to be honest, I haven't had good luck with them.

If you need the drive for both Windows and Linux, I recommend using GPT/exFAT.
If it's only ever going to be used for Linux, I recommend GPT/EXT4.

The other thing I have done sometimes, is create two (or more) partitions on the hard drive,
I format 1 partition as EXT4, and the other partition as exFAT. Linux will see both partitions,
but Windows will only see the exFAT side.

Chances are, there is nothing really wrong with your drive. If you have a large enough drive on your computer,
copy everything over to it. Re-format your portable drive, and copy everything back. Most likely it will work
faster again.
Thanks, Good info there. I'll be picking your mind soon again.

Welcome young'en
you can ask general questions on this forum, if our esteemed moderators feel it would be better elsewhere they will move it, if it's about specific hardware use the hardware forum or if it's distribution specific in the relevant distribution forums
Wish I were young, just shy of 70 and right now I'm paying dearly for all the fun I had 50 years ago.

I have a number of Portable HDDs...Seagate and WD...I also have one Samsung SSD...all work perfectly with Linux straight out of the box and that goes for Flash Drives and External Drives too.
m1213.gif

I remember the dark days of windwoes...plug in a Portable HDD...Flash Drive etc and get...windwoes is installing the driver...this could take a long time...do some shopping or go to a movie and when you get back the driver may be installed.
t1940.gif

I have a number of Portable HDDs...Seagate and WD...I also have one Samsung SSD...all work perfectly with Linux straight out of the box and that goes for Flash Drives and External Drives too.
m1213.gif

I remember the dark days of windwoes...plug in a Portable HDD...Flash Drive etc and get...windwoes is installing the driver...this could take a long time...do some shopping or go to a movie and when you get back the driver may be installed.
t1940.gif
That's why I put windows out to pasture.
That, and I can see the day coming when Bill Gates says you pay $100, or all your data goes into some black hole.

The only Thumb Drive I have issues with Linux is the Imation Defender Drives or IronKeys - they only work with Windows or MAC not Linux

Members online