Pop_OS! Driver issues

I did find an updated driver here - https://gitlab.com/linux-wifi-collection/realtek/rtl8189ES - looks like some of it was updated just a few days ago
I tried to download this driver and i got the .zip of it, extracted it into a folder, the went into terminal from there and tried to configure but i got an error "no directory found". I am currently trying the info from post 19. Install went smoothly, but no success in detecting a network.
Screenshot_2022-05-26_18-37-37.png
Screenshot_2022-05-26_18-34-37.png
Screenshot_2022-05-26_18-35-41.png

Last edited:

I would be inclined to try MX21-AHS , it won't be the fastest with the Celeron processor, just make sure if you install it to include to install updates as you load the system
Would this even make a difference considering the wifi chip in my computer isnt supported by linux? I suppose this will be the next step if I can't fix this problem in my current distro.

I would be inclined to try MX21-AHS , it won't be the fastest with the Celeron processor, just make sure if you install it to include to install updates as you load the system
I use MX Linux on Two Celeron powered laptops, and it absolutely flies along.
I used the stable branch with Xfce, and today I updated one of them to the very
latest kernal, 4.17 kernel, no issues at all, except I get dmesg errors, but they do not effect the working of the laptop, I have a feeling it has to do with eMMC, as the laptop with SSD has no dmesg errors.

The WiFi disconnected half way through the install, but that was an easy fix,
all I had to do was go into wifi settings, and change the security type from
WPA3 to WPA2, my phone supports WPA2 and that worked for me.

Definately give MX Linux a try, it will be quicker than trying to fix what you
have wrong with Linux Lite and Pop OS.

Pop OS is not the safest choice, as it has been tailored to work with the hardware used in System76, that would mean drivers not required for their system would have no need to be there, and this is not good when trying to set up on a non System76 device.

Linux Lite would not work for me either, wifi would not work at all.

Welcome,
I get fed up with keep saying, Pop is a good OS If it works out of the box, BUT it is not what I call a full Linux release, it is compiled by system 76 to run on their own equipment [which is expensive] If it doesn't work out of the box it can be a pigs rear end to get working on anything else, If you are competent with Linux then..
General instructions how to fix touchpad [but doesn't work with all makes] https://www.maketecheasier.com/fix-touchpad-not-working-linux/
download for https://github.com/openwetek/rtl8189es

If you are new to Linux, try one of the Ubuntu or Debian based popular distributions
I do like what they did with gnome, but I would expect most of their shell extensions to be usable on other gnome 42 distros. I could imagine re-customizing a stock ubuntu 22.04, for example. Of course, if one is not much into gnome (I love Xfce), then I am not sure how much additional value pop-os really brings over either a stock ubuntu or another Ubuntu-derived spin or distribution, other than the alternate out-of-box nvidia install cd and choosing not to use wayland for any video drivers.

Last edited:
I use MX Linux on Two Celeron powered laptops, and it absolutely flies along.
I used the stable branch with Xfce, and today I updated one of them to the very
latest kernal, 4.17 kernel, no issues at all, except I get dmesg errors, but they do not effect the working of the laptop, I have a feeling it has to do with eMMC, as the laptop with SSD has no dmesg errors.

The WiFi disconnected half way through the install, but that was an easy fix,
all I had to do was go into wifi settings, and change the security type from
WPA3 to WPA2, my phone supports WPA2 and that worked for me.

Definately give MX Linux a try, it will be quicker than trying to fix what you
have wrong with Linux Lite and Pop OS.

Pop OS is not the safest choice, as it has been tailored to work with the hardware used in System76, that would mean drivers not required for their system would have no need to be there, and this is not good when trying to set up on a non System76 device.

Linux Lite would not work for me either, wifi would not work at all.
I am now running MX AHS live and it's not detecting any sort of wifi. I tried to fully install it to see if that would help but it won't let me since the required partitions could not be made on my flash device.

Welcome,
I get fed up with keep saying, Pop is a good OS If it works out of the box, BUT it is not what I call a full Linux release, it is compiled by system 76 to run on their own equipment [which is expensive] If it doesn't work out of the box it can be a pigs rear end to get working on anything else, If you are competent with Linux then..
General instructions how to fix touchpad [but doesn't work with all makes] https://www.maketecheasier.com/fix-touchpad-not-working-linux/
download for https://github.com/openwetek/rtl8189es

If you are new to Linux, try one of the Ubuntu or Debian based popular distributions
Indeed, perhaps there is a sense of the "hakintosh" community in that, which tried getting MacOS to run on non-mac PC hardware. I do like what I saw of their usability take on gnome, but I don't have any system76 hardware either. If one is a new user, and doesn't happen to have their hardware, that is a much simpler and still often a better answer, even given their hardware "divergence" is not nearly as horrific as Apple's was; their choices, hardware testing, and hardware support are still about their particular needs rather than for purely generic and more arbitrary hardware.

Last edited:
I am now running MX AHS live and it's not detecting any sort of wifi. I tried to fully install it to see if that would help but it won't let me since the required partitions could not be made on my flash device.
Have you no icon in the dock for wifi, it should be there regardless of whether wifi works.
If you have, right click on it, make sure wifi is enabled,
and click edit connections and see whats there.
If you have some sort of non supported modem then you will not have wifi on any system until you find a driver, on my HP Pavilion I had no WiFi until I installed a driver.

Your comment about not being able to make the required partitions on your flash device is an odd one, is the device faulty, if so you could also be running a corrupted ISO that wont help.
If the device is too small that could also hamper your install as there may be no room to expand the files required on the flash drive.

Would this even make a difference considering the wifi chip in my computer isnt supported by linux? I suppose this will be the next step if I can't fix this problem in my current distro.
What exactly is the wifi chip in your computer,
I read your laptop is a rebranded Chuwi, and the chip inside is this one, which has a driver.
Or this chip which also has a driver

The reason I suggested MX-21 AHS is it has the best collection of the latest drivers of any distribution I know, and If everything else is now working [touchpad, mouse etc] then may I suggest you get a Wi-Fi mini dongle that is Linux compatible to use

The reason I suggested MX-21 AHS is it has the best collection of the latest drivers of any distribution I know, and If everything else is now working [touchpad, mouse etc] then may I suggest you get a Wi-Fi mini dongle that is Linux compatible to use
Looks like the OP is running from a Live image, I don't understand what he means but something is up with either his install media or the media he is trying to install to, in his own words
" I am now running MX AHS live and it's not detecting any sort of wifi. I tried to fully install it to see if that would help but it won't let me since the required partitions could not be made on my flash device. "

There is wifi drivers for the laptop in question,
I read the laptop is a re branded Chuwi, and the chip inside is this one, which has a driver.
Or this chip which also has a driver
but just about everyone who tried Linux on this device has
had problems, with audio, wifi and touchpad.

My advise would be get a cheap second hand laptop that is known to support Linux.

The laptop am using cost 179.00 euro new, and its better spec than the re branded Chuwi that the OP is trying to use Linux on, and most importantly Linux runs on it.

That was why I did not spend big money on a device I did not know could run Linux, other than my dislike for paying for a spy chip and for microCr?p to tie me down and control me.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is wifi drivers for the laptop in question,
I gave the link to those in an early post
but just about everyone who tried Linux on this device has
had problems, with audi, wifi and touchpad.
yep not just the Gateway brand [sold by Walmart] but also under other budget brand names across the world, I don't rate anything made by Bmorn Technology.

I gave the link to those in an early post

yep not just the Gateway brand [sold by Walmart] but also under other budget brand names across the world, I don't rate anything made by Bmorn Technology.
I nearly fell into that trap, their pricing looks good, but I did not find any good reviews on the products I looked at.

That particular model the OP has, the audio driver outputs over
HDMI, and its quite a task to get it to use the speakers and headphone jack.

On the WIFI that chip set though they do have some drivers no one has been able to get them going consistantly in Linux.
Brickwizard's suggeston for a usb wifi dongle is the best chance.
The one's from Panda work well with linux.

What is the output of
Code:
sudo lshw -C network

What is the output of
Code:
sudo lshw -C network
Screenshot_2022-05-27_12-03-41.png

This is weird, but I started my laptop today and wifi and touchpad work perfectly on LinuxLite5.8. I guess this is the driver for the wifi that works but I have no idea why the touchpad is working.
Screenshot_2022-05-27_12-21-41driverupdate.png

Last edited:
Most likely for the touchpad it was when you ran the modprobe commands and after a shutdown and restart it is now working
at least all is working
That would have been something close to shutdown number 5 or 6 though. Either way thank you to everyone who helped me get my hardware running right.

Glad it's working for you :)

Members online