Please Help! Simple format for ssd to install Manjaro?

svejkovat

Reaction score
Credits
I'm not totally new to linux. I'd like to install manjaro to an SSD.

This is a spare HP elitebook 8570p 32bit with a 500g SSD in the slot. It's a laptop I use for experimenting with linux/other so I tend to play fast/loose with it.

I was running win7xp on it and using lubuntu from the usb stick just to get a feel for lubuntu. I wanted to try a firm install of manjaro so I tried to format the SSD from the disk utility in lubuntu in preparation.
I'm afraid I may have screwed myself a bit. I began by reformatting the drive using "disk utility" in Lubuntu and may have erased all the partitions (that's the "fast/loose" part I refer to. I was simply trying to start fresh with the ssd drive so I may have gone too far). In the end, there ended up being only one solid colored partition indicated for the drive. Did I wipe too much? Anyway, I went ahead and tried to install something to it.

I have a good iso of 32bit manjaro burned to CD. But it won't install. It gets 3/4 of the way and I get a screen of error messages that it failed.

I then tried to install lubuntu from the usb stick to the ssd. Same thing. Error messages and refuses to install.

I went to the web to find instructions on freshly formatting an SSD in linux and, once again, found myself down a rabbit hole. Every tutorial on formatting an SSD in linux involves dozens of terminal entries. I can't get past the first four without being told in the terminal that I can go no futher with out XXX. Which fails me again.

I don't want to dual boot. I don't want winxp. I just want to have manjaro booting up on my ssd when I hit the start button. That's it!

What follows is a shout. Please forgive me but I'm frustrated. IS THERE REALLY NO WAY TO FORMAT A 500GB SSD TO A STATE THAT WILL RECEIVE A FRESH INSTALL OF A (random) LINUX DISTRO.... WITH JUST ONE CLICK???

An SSD drive cannot be freshly formatted for a new linux distro, just one single box to check in disk utility that would simply format the damn thing in ext4, bootable, ready for the distro?

Really. Why is that too much to ask?

Thanks for your patience.

Please, any help highly appreciated.

Last edited:

Try formatting as fat 32

Humor me....I actually have no idea....this is just a stab in the dark

You can always use GParted to do the formatting....but be careful to select the correct drive

Members online