Pine Me

mrcrossroads

Reaction score
Credits
So, the more I listen to my favorite podcasts talk about Pine64, the more tempted I am to try it. I order a PineTime smartwatch that was only $26 and it should arrive in a couple days. I also order a PinePhone today. It's the Beta Edition With Convergence Package and has Manjaro with Plasma Mobile OS preinstalled. This likely won't be my daily driver, but at only $200 I couldn't pass it up.

After 2 frustrating hours trying to flash an old Huawei Mate SE BND-L34, I decided to just get the real deal.

Anyone have a PinePhone?

I too have been considering using a PinePhone as my next device. I really don't need a powerful phone, but I will miss a solid cribbage game on my phone. I don't mind using an Android device, I just like tinkering and different toys to play with.

When I first saw your topic in new I thought you were talking about the terminal based email client. I actually used in 2008-2010, but I have not heard of anyone using it in a long time :)

I hope your enjoy your new watch :)

I too have been considering using a PinePhone as my next device. I really don't need a powerful phone, but I will miss a solid cribbage game on my phone. I don't mind using an Android device, I just like tinkering and different toys to play with.

Having never actually used a PinePhone yet I can't speak from personal experience, but from pretty much any review of the phones I've listened to or viewed, up to now the PinePhone shouldn't be counted on as a "daily driver." Nor is the Librem for that matter. But as a secondary device and something to tinker around with, it's worth 200 bucks for me.

The DLN podcast (I believe it was) just recently interviewed someone from Pine64 and it really sounds like the PinePhone Pro coming out soon has the potential to be that every day phone.

I'm going to run mine with the default distro on it at first, but want to try Phosh on it too. I think Phosh is Purism's baby.

Have you ever flashed a phone with a linux os?

When I first saw your topic in new I thought you were talking about the terminal based email client. I actually used in 2008-2010, but I have not heard of anyone using it in a long time :)

I hope your enjoy your new watch :)

Terminal based email? No. Thank. You. :D

But as a secondary device and something to tinker around with, it's worth 200 bucks for me.

I don't demand much from my phone. Make calls, send texts, snap a grainy picture of a yeti, and the "occasional" game of cribbage while waiting for the wife (or poopin').

And no, I've never flashed a phone. I did do a tablet once.

Terminal based email? No. Thank. You. :D

It actually was not bad, in that time, it had support of POP3, IMAP, SMTP, and was much faster than any of the email clients at the time due to never loading images, plus managing the email was much easier. I am very much not suggesting it to anyone, but I really liked it back then :D :)

I really don't need a powerful phone, but I will miss a solid cribbage game on my phone.
You should check out Waydroid. One of these days I want to spin it up on a PC and give it a test.

I don't demand much from my phone. Make calls, send texts, snap a grainy picture of a yeti, and the "occasional" game of cribbage while waiting for the wife (or poopin').

And no, I've never flashed a phone. I did do a tablet once.
Post your grainy yeti picture here or it didn't happen.

Post your grainy yeti picture here or it didn't happen.

When I get a picture of a yeti, y'all shall be among the first to know. (I don't actually think the yeti exists, for the record. Though one could stay off the beaten trail pretty easily where I live.)

I've actually been considering a Pine Phone myself... the Dev version is only like $400... the specs seem on point... camera seems lacking but good enough to play with.
I'm very curious to hear about your experience with your new toys when they arrive.
Ultimately... for it to get better it's going to need more development and user feedback.

I've actually been considering a Pine Phone myself... the Dev version is only like $400... the specs seem on point... camera seems lacking but good enough to play with.
I'm very curious to hear about your experience with your new toys when they arrive.
Ultimately... for it to get better it's going to need more development and user feedback.
I'll keep ya posted. Feedback is one of the ways I contribute to open source projects. In addition to donations.

Somehow I received the PinePhone before the PineWatch. I'll post more later but for let me say, this phone is NOT, by ANY definition, a daily driver. Ant it takes forEVER to charge.

Here is your picture of a Yeti - LOL
1.jpeg

David you'll be waiting an eternity for a yeti in Maine, they're Himalayan... maybe a sasquatch?

Wiz

David you'll be waiting an eternity for a yeti in Maine, they're Himalayan... maybe a sasquatch?

The natives here have an 'abominable snowman' myth who's not really a Sasquatch. I forget the name they use, but it's basically a yeti. The Squatch is in the PNW, and I'm in New England. In the myth it's pretty much the same thing as a yeti.

Also, I live on the edge of the taiga. So, it's probably gonna be a yeti-like critter. (No, it's probably not gonna be a yeti. It's probably not gonna be real.)