Physical Location of a Swap Partition

Nope, skip what I said about the Ext4 line that was my error.

Place a hash on the line re swap, that will make it a comment and it will be ignored, or else you can choose to delete the line, if Swap has been deleted.

Then run update-grub and reboot.

Cheers

Wiz

Most excellent news. I thought it likely it would be the case.

Run it for a week to see that there are no probs, then if you are anal about housekeeping, you can always delete the hashed line, it has no further use, but the syntax is handy if you ever choose to re-use Swap.

Ok. Is there an advantage to making it a comment vs. deleting the code?

Comments are used by programmers to remind themselves and let other programmers know, what they are doing and why. They are also known as Remarks.

If you were still using Windows I could probably point to some examples, likely batch files ending in .bat. Also configuration files ending in .ini

All of the above applies to system files or executable files which are based on text, not programming languages.

Gotta go

Wiz

As always, many thanks! I have to say I am quite pleased with Manjaro Cinnamon and now that the evil GPU is turned off laptop #2 is purring like a kitten!

if you are anal about housekeeping, you can always delete the hashed line

Nah, I’ll keep it around! And thank you, now I understand what the # is used for in the terminal! If you didn’t live on the bottom of the world I’d buy you a drink !

As always, many thanks!

Always welcome.

When you are next in session (if you are not already), this would be a good time to make the acquaintance of a command that will give you a very broad idea of the performance of systemd in your environment.
Code:
systemd-analyze critical-chain

Mine on my MJRO Cinnamon currently looks like this

NC3tsTo.png

SCREENSHOT 1 - WIZARD'S SYSTEMD TIMES ON MANJARO CINNAMON

I won't try to explain all the details but the red figures are the ones that count, that is for the Services.

The green figures, for the targets, sockets and slices are not cumulative. They are simultaneously being timed as they are implemented, and so none of the green figures will exceed the red figure at @

You could speculate from this that it has taken about 27 seconds from the time I have booted my machine and chosen, or defaulted to, Manjaro Cinnamon, to the time I am logged in, on my desktop, and ready to work.

This Distro is on the Western Digital My Book 4TB external drive, and so with that, and with the 16GB RAM I have, also the complexity of my system. my figures may vary considerably from yours.

This command is not the be-all and end-all for who has the fastest system, but the figures can be used as a benchmark, and if you record in say a text file your first use of it, and then your computer becomes sluggish, you can identify bottlenecks that might need some redress.

Cheers

Wizard

I finally had the time to run this. Definitely different than your post but I am only running MJRO Cinnamon on this laptop. I will run it on laptop #2 (that is the multiboot laptop) and see the difference.
Screenshot from 2018-10-17 22-38-25.png

No, that's fine, and certainly worth recording as a reference, for both of them :)

Wiz

Latest posts