Phase 4 and 5 Will be the End of Marvel as a Company

• Thread starter Deleted member 111282
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 111282

Even though I honestly think self-publishing and independent filmmaking are the future, I was recently reading up on what Marvel's planning to with Phase 4 and 5, because I know comic book publishers and Hollywood are dying a slow and painful death, and I'm enjoying watching it happen while eating a bag of popcorn. Being that Marvel cares more about the MCU than anything else (because it makes the most money), and the films have gradually become cookie-cutter in the way they're made, now they're at the point where Marvel wants to use them as platforms for pandering (because that's what they're doing with the comics), and the inevitable backlash when it's all over is going to be the final nail in the company's coffin. Don't get me wrong, I grew up watching the Marvel animated shows on Fox Kids back in the 90s and loved them (I still have X-Men on my external SSD), and I even torrented and read a number of the comics, but now it's clear the company has become nothing but corporate, greedy, and near-monopolistic (which I'm sure has something to do with them being owned by Disney). As a well-known company, you'd think that whenever they've caused backlash for taking the characters in a different direction, they wouldn't belittle or bully the fans, or accuse them of being things that they're not, but they've actually done that. You'd think they wouldn't rely on clickbait or the Streisand Effect to popularize new characters or movies, but they've actually done that. You'd think that they would consistently produce quality-made and entertaining content, instead of gradually making it to where pandering to non-comic book readers is the "new normal", but they've actually done that. The only thing they haven't done in recent years was come down on the cast or crew members of the movies or TV shows, or anyone working on the comics, whenever those people have belittled or bullied the fans. Granted, DC and even a few Image creators have done this as well, but not nearly as much as Marvel has (that still doesn't mean DC or Image are better publishing companies though). Because of this, it should come at no surprise that self-published comics and independent filmmaking is been gradually taking off and will no doubt succeed at delivering quality-made entertainment. The only thing that's holding it back is not having a retail presence due to being drowned out by the big publishers and studios.

Even though I honestly think self-publishing and independent filmmaking are the future
What do you mean exactly by Independent filmmaking? Independent films have always been around and some are even considered cult films themselves, i.e "The Blair Witch Project". Are you referring to comic-book based films being made by independent studios? Amazon Studios is said to be an "independent studio", so is Netflix and a few others, and just like you said about Marvel and Disney+, they are moved by profit too, after all, the people behind them are businessmen.
the films have gradually become cookie-cutter in the way they're made, now they're at the point where Marvel wants to use them as platforms for pandering
I think this has always been the case, only it is more evident now that, in the case of Marvel being bought by such a big company like Disney, they try to get the most -money - out of it. It's always been like this, not only with comic-based films but any other form of art/entertainment such as music, painting, literature ... even sports, look at the controversy right now on the "European super league" https://www.skysports.com/football/...estions-what-is-it-who-is-involved-how-likely where some team owners want to have their own money-making "private platform" and it is a total disgrace. I love football, I played it for the most part of my life till I got a knee injury, and even though I never played professionally or even at a local team but just in the neighborhood with friends, I cried at the fact that I could never play again, it's been 7 years since that day and I still miss the pitch. Back to the topic - sorry about that - the entertainment industry is just that, an industry and as such is driven by money and money alone, sad but true.
Granted, DC and even a few Image creators have done this as well, but not nearly as much as Marvel has (that still doesn't mean DC or Image are better publishing companies though).
Maybe the reason is that they haven't been bought by a big money-driven company like Disney, if they were, they'd probably do the same. Finally, I agree with you, and even though I still watch and probably will keep watching their movies and TV shows, I know it'll never be as good as it used to be.

What do you mean exactly by Independent filmmaking? Independent films have always been around and some are even considered cult films themselves, i.e "The Blair Witch Project". Are you referring to comic-book based films being made by independent studios? Amazon Studios is said to be an "independent studio", so is Netflix and a few others, and just like you said about Marvel and Disney+, they are moved by profit too, after all, the people behind them are businessmen.

To be as specific as I can, I'm talking about passion projects that are made by people who, despite being the average joe, make above-average films or web shows (think of the Angry Video Game Nerd or the Nostalgia Critic). Despite having relatively low-budget production quality, the films or web shows are still entertaining to watch. Yes, Amazon studios, Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube Red (I think its called) are also independent, but they're what I like to call "Neo-Hollywood" because they're still corporate studios who (as you said) are run by businessmen out to make a profit. If you were to replace every Hollywood studio with the studio owned by these streaming platforms, nothing really changes. That doesn't mean those studios are bad per-se, but over time, they could very well end up just like how Hollywood is now (that is if they don't get killed by the demand for physical media first). While I understand there has to be some kind of business aspects when it comes to running a studio or being a director, focusing mostly on the business side of it will show in the final product, and that's PAINFULLY obvious now with most entertainment companies.

I think this has always been the case, only it is more evident now that, in the case of Marvel being bought by such a big company like Disney, they try to get the most -money - out of it. It's always been like this, not only with comic-based films but any other form of art/entertainment such as music, painting, literature ... even sports, look at the controversy right now on the "European super league" https://www.skysports.com/football/...estions-what-is-it-who-is-involved-how-likely where some team owners want to have their own money-making "private platform" and it is a total disgrace. I love football, I played it for the most part of my life till I got a knee injury, and even though I never played professionally or even at a local team but just in the neighborhood with friends, I cried at the fact that I could never play again, it's been 7 years since that day and I still miss the pitch. Back to the topic - sorry about that - the entertainment industry is just that, an industry and as such is driven by money and money alone, sad but true.

If you look at how Mel Brooks makes his films, you can tell he's put a lot of passion and hard work into them, even though it boils down to "just a career" at the end of the day. He's also the kind of person who loves being a filmmaker, and getting paid to be that is icing on the cake for him. Yes, I know the industry is unfortunately driven by money, but I love how despite that, there's still a good number of people who love filmmaking to the point where they wouldn't care if they weren't getting paid. To them, it's their purpose in life, not "just a career".

Maybe the reason is that they haven't been bought by a big money-driven company like Disney, if they were, they'd probably do the same. Finally, I agree with you, and even though I still watch and probably will keep watching their movies and TV shows, I know it'll never be as good as it used to be.

Even Warner Bros and Universal are money-driven, and have also made a good number of cash-grab films and TV shows (just look at the Arrow-verse on CW, the Snyder-verse, and Universal's dead-on-arrival Dark Universe). As long as the sheeple keep going to the theaters or watch the newest films or shows on streaming services, the cycle keeps continuing. However, due to the constant pandering and the increasing lower quality, now the sheeple are gradually realizing that all Hollywood ever does these days is create the same big-budget crap (which often stars the same obnoxious and condescending actors and actresses), and then charge highway robbery-level prices just to watch it. This is causing them to find entertainment somewhere else. I shouldn't point out that based on your last point, you strike me as a person who's not another sheep, but struggles to find better entertainment. Even though it'd be a challenge to look up, go onto the web to find it, and be specific about what you're looking for (ex: type in anime, and narrow down your interests from there).

To be as specific as I can, I'm talking about passion projects that are made by people who, despite being the average joe, make above-average films or web shows (think of the Angry Video Game Nerd or the Nostalgia Critic). Despite having relatively low-budget production quality, the films or web shows are still entertaining to watch.
Ah, I see. Yes, I've seen some of these and are decent to watch.

Yes, I know the industry is unfortunately driven by money, but I love how despite that, there's still a good number of people who love filmmaking to the point where they wouldn't care if they weren't getting paid.
Oh, I do think some people, even when driven by money, do love filmmaking, it's just they see they can make lots of money with that too. But yeah, I agree most are just there for the money and couldn't care less about a good quality story and/or the public.

I shouldn't point out that based on your last point, you strike me as a person who's not another sheep, but struggles to find better entertainment. Even though it'd be a challenge to look up, go onto the web to find it, and be specific about what you're looking for (ex: type in anime, and narrow down your interests from there).
I watch lots of stuff, including anime shows, even read manga. I like watching movies and have watched a ton from classics to low-budget films, B-Movies and many others which are considered by most "not mainstream". Like I said before, I think the entertainment industry/business is driven by money and money alone, some people, even if "passionate" about filmmaking are too expecting to make money out of it, are they greedy? Probably not, at least not as much as these big companies which sole intention is to keep their bank accounts growing and growing.

Ah, I see. Yes, I've seen some of these and are decent to watch.

Oh, I do think some people, even when driven by money, do love filmmaking, it's just they see they can make lots of money with that too. But yeah, I agree most are just there for the money and couldn't care less about a good quality story and/or the public.

I watch lots of stuff, including anime shows, even read manga. I like watching movies and have watched a ton from classics to low-budget films, B-Movies and many others which are considered by most "not mainstream". Like I said before, I think the entertainment industry/business is driven by money and money alone, some people, even if "passionate" about filmmaking are too expecting to make money out of it, are they greedy? Probably not, at least not as much as these big companies which sole intention is to keep their bank accounts growing and growing.

I was recently helping one of my friends with reworking his YouTube channel. The ideas for his videos are fine, but the videos themselves are (and I'd hate to say this) painfully boring. He's been making them for the last 8 years, and the channel itself never really went anywhere in terms of viewership, most-likely because of how the videos were presented. Hopefully he'll restart his channel from scratch and have much more success afterwards.

Members online