Pew-Pew

Hillbilly H

Reaction score
Credits
Remember NO politics!
if you refer to a law or regulation please keep your opinions to yourself!

Yes 45acp is slow but carries mass down rang.

Last edited:

I'm reminded of a WW2 video where they showed someone shooting a helmet at like 50 yards with the 1911. It just dented it.

However, I'm pretty sure the person would still stop doing whatever it was they were doing. It was a pretty solid dent.

Lots of .45 ACP fans have moved to the 10 mm, which is a lovely round.

I'm still not gonna give up my 1911. I actually own a couple of them, one of them from when the govt. sold off a bunch of old stock. I carried a 1911 back in the day. I was a light-medium motor vehicle operator with security clearance, so I ended up attached to the brig in Norfolk. I was basically what civilians would call a transportation officer. I moved detainees from one place to another and my 1911 sat in a comfy shoulder holster while the M16A2 was locked in the car.

LOL I once had a bailiff try to take my 1911. I laughed and started taking my detainee back to the car (they were facing charges off-base) and they thought carefully about their decision and decided it was probably okay if I didn't hand over my service weapon.

Back when I was a spry young lad, I could run faster than a .45 round! (I kid, I kid!)

We carried 1911s when I was in the Army.

1911s are excellent pistols OOTB if you stick 230 GR FMJ aka military ball ammo imo which is all I've ever used in mine.

I have several revolvers double action and single action various calibers and barrel lengths.

I have several revolvers double action and single action various calibers and barrel lengths.

I'm pretty easy to dox, so I dunno how much info I'm comfortable sharing. We shall see!

I am kinda into firearms, including a dedicated space for proper storage and security. All of my firearms are secured. I'm not too keen on the idea of any of them being used to hurt anyone.

Don't get me wrong. I'll know you're on my property pretty quickly - and probably before you know you're on it. My firearms are properly secured but that doesn't mean I can't get to them before you get to me.

But, if it were something like a simple burglary, I'm not gonna harm anyone (all that much). Sure, you're getting the sh*t kicked out of you until the cops get here (which is gonna take a very long time), but I'm not gonna shoot you just because you were desperate enough to risk stealing my stuff. I like my stuff, that's why I bought it!

While I have my CCP, that's only for reciprocity. You don't actually need a license to conceal carry in Maine. We're pretty lax in that department. CC without a permit has been a law for quite a while now. I'd elaborate with my thoughts on the matter, but that'd be just too close to the 'politics' line.

I'd say it's safe (forum rules) for us to talk about firearms as objects.

Remember, politics is strictly off limits. So, let's keep that in mind as the thread moves along. I'll consider this an official moderator warning.

Wife and I live on the farm so for the most are always armed not on a count of criminals but varmints mainly coyotes.

Wife and I live on the farm so for the most are always armed not on a count of criminals but varmints mainly coyotes.

I like to carry a Ruger Mk II 'target' and plink rabbits. It's a good way to keep your skills sharp and rabbit is delicious, especially for breakfast.

We don't have much in the way of dangerous animals. We do have bears but they're just black bears - entirely harmless to a human unless you're an idiot. Well, as a general rule... About the only time you see them (unless hunting/baiting them) is if you visit the dump. They view the dump as a buffet, and rightfully so.

But, they're pretty small things and are harmless. Now, if you're hunting bear then you need to ensure you've killed it before you approach it. They will lay there like they're dead and then maul the hell out of you when you approach. That accounts for pretty much every bear attack we've had in Maine since the late 1800s.

We do have some wild cats, but they're equally harmless and absolutely hate humans. Where I live, we have a whole lot of wilderness for 'em, so they don't need to interact with humans. (Maine is the most heavily forested state in the entire country.)

My favorite ones to shoot are my two big muzzle loaders. A two bore and a punt gun. LOL the kids love the big boom and all the smoke.

I have this crossbow in my closet that i haven't opened yet because i've lazy about setting up targets...i think cardboard would do...

That depends on the bow. What kind do you have?
let's see...it's a barnett with speeds up to 250 FPS, it was like $190, i was going for cheap since i have little bow experience (even though i have made my own bows before out of wood), and if you got one of those hunting arrow tips then it is adequate for close-range deer hunting. The guy said you could kill any deer in 50 yards with it, even though i'm not terribly enthusiastic about hunting because of the regulations and the skinning.

I would assume that with the target arrow tips (they're basically just a little round bulb...) then cardboard or some sort of soft wood would probably be the best option...soda cans would work too but then you'd have to be really good to penetrate. I don't want to buy any of those big expensive setups, it would be a lot cooler to make everything myself.

That is something I don't own. I have a bunch, but not that.

cardboard or some sort of soft wood would probably be the best option...

Just get a target for bows or use bales of hay. The wood will probably be more stress than designed for and it's likely to rip straight through cardboard.

the skinning

Most folks that I know just field dress their deer and send it off for processing and packaging. Still, field dressing a deer is pretty disgusting if you're not into that sorta thing. You get used to it.

it sounds like a xr250b and yes it will kill so be safe.
if it were me i would start with 20" of cardboard.
I don't want to buy any of those big expensive setups
i under stand that! i use hay bales.

That is something I don't own. I have a bunch, but not that.

Just get a target for bows or use bales of hay. The wood will probably be more stress than designed for and it's likely to rip straight through cardboard.

Most folks that I know just field dress their deer and send it off for processing and packaging. Still, field dressing a deer is pretty disgusting if you're not into that sorta thing. You get used to it.
I don't have a problem with getting over the mild gut reaction i feel of opening an animal, i've done it before, but the main problem is that i would have to do it all myself for the first time, that would suck to end a life and do all that work if i ruined the meat.

I don't have a problem with getting over the mild gut reaction i feel of opening an animal, i've done it before, but the main problem is that i would have to do it all myself for the first time, that would suck to end a life and do all that work if i ruined the meat.

I suspect you can get videos and learn. You can possibly also get someone to guide your hunt to show you how to do it properly the first time. You won't really spoil much meat unless you really screw up the process or take too long. You want to field dress fairly soon.

Then, you'd just deliver it to someone local that processes the deer. They'll do that far better than you will and the price is worth it. They have things like grinders to make burger out of the less useful bits and will package everything properly for storage in a freezer.

Around here, we just have the equipment on the farm and the farm takes in large game for processing, all the way up to moose size.

My favorite ones to shoot are my two big muzzle loaders. A two bore and a punt gun. LOL the kids love the big boom and all the smoke.
Watch the video of the guy in the boat.

1670197946848.png

No need for CCW in Ohio anymore. Though I still have mine as I do cross into KY and Ind. I was an Armorer in the Army. I own and still love the 1911. I now have a Rock Island FS Ambi safety, 8 shot full size in black with adjustable sights. Bought it on sale 4 years ago for 399.00 They were rebranding it the FS tactical, flaring the mag well for a budget Match gun. For critics of Rock Island, they have been making 1911 in the Philippines since 1952. They know how to and they work.

I am up to about 40 guns now, I collect some surplus military weapons. I built both my AR's but in the past 5 years have not even shot them. I was teaching classes but got too busy to continue. I still fix people's firearms from time to time.

I usually carry a M&P Shield. And a 2 shot 38SPL Derringer, as that I can just toss in my pocket.

Just like computers, guns are tools, the computer does not hack or steal your info, it takes the bad guys misusing it to do damage. Cars kill more people, doctors malpractice kill more people per year than firearms, it just doesn't make news.

I am up to about 40 guns now, I collect some surplus military weapons.

One of my dear friends also ended up retiring to my area (sorta, he's closer to the coast). He used to own his own shop and has been moving bits of his collection along the way.

We sometimes joke about how I'm funding his retirement.

'Snot funny...

Well, okay, it's a little funny.

I too own firearms that I've never used - but most of them have been tested as working by me personally. When he vouches for something, the testing is more an excuse to send some dollars into bits of paper.

I don't really want to get into details too much, but I even have some pre-ban stuff. That stuff mostly gets taken out to a private-ish (invite only) "machine gun shoot" where we give the proceeds to DAV. Good times are had. It can be fairly pricey per round, but it sure is fun.

Shot my share of MG's in the Army. I still liked the M60, but it is suppressive fire not accurate fire. I have 2 .22's that I will probably never shoot, given to me for fixing a Kel-Tec 380 a guy carried for a year, then shot it and killed the trigger. He also had a WWII bring back, a Bavarian Police Colt 38 spl we gave to them during occupation, his dad was the Chief of Police in Batavia until he retired, when he did they gifted him the firearms unrecovered in the evidence room. The previous owner had thickened the grips with epoxy. Two layers black over orange. It chipped off and the best part is that it did not stick to the lacquer on the grips, only to the screw heads and the frame, It was in almost mint condition.

The 22's are a Phoenix and some little revolver, though they may shoot they are junk guns. My Boss's wife gave me an Ithaca model 37 Police special 12g, all black steel with wood slide, it is also the model that can be slam fired, just hold the trigger and rack it, the Boss died 5 years ago, He had 3 pages notebook papers worth of guns.

Members online