Perseverance has successfully landed on Mars.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits

The rover alone, all told with what it ties into, was 2.5 billion dollars according to a NatGeo article.

And, I knew some Linux was used in space, but not exactly where and what. I'm not sure what was on the trip to Mars, but it may have had Tux onboard.

I knew some Linux was used in space

I have a memory that Raspberry Pi's have been taken to the ISS previously for running projects.

Wiz

Anyone know what OS the rover is running?

Lies and more lies the Rover is really running Arch!!
wallhaven-zmrqgj.jpg

I dunno, the swirling gasses behind it kinda look like a Debian logo.

I assume it's some RTOS that does fancy checking with 3 of everything and the 2 (or more) that are in agreement are what it goes with.

Way back in grad school, I had the chance to help with some mathematics for a satellite that is still in orbit all these years later (or should be). It measures fluctuations in the gravitational fields in a non-synchronous orbit. That's how it operated at its core and is still how mission-critical software operates in many areas like aviation.

The tidbit was mentioned in an interview NASA software engineer Tim Canham gave to IEEE Spectrum. The helicopter-like drone on board the Perseverance rover uses a Linux-powered software framework the space agency open-sourced a few years ago. “This the first time we’ll be flying Linux on Mars. We’re actually running on a Linux operating system,” Canham said.

Ha! I am not surprised, but then again that's what my first post said. ;-)

Pretty much all the biggest/fastest supercomputers are Tux-powered as well.

Pretty much all the biggest/fastest supercomputers are Tux-powered as well.
I've read that BSD is quite popular too for firewalls, ISP and various other big systems.

I've read that BSD is quite popular too for firewalls, ISP and various other big systems.

I used to keep a BSD-powered web server alive. It wasn't as hard as people think and, once set up, was remarkably stable.

FreeBSD's biggest and most impressive user is Netflix. Streaming all that video 24/7 says a lot about its capabilities. I am just dipping my toes into it and not at all proficient, but I like it and hope to learn more. Linux has far more development, though, so it is much easier to run more hardware with it.

Congrats NASA Perseverance and the Linux-based Ingenuity helicopter drone! :)

FreeBSD's biggest and most impressive user is Netflix. Streaming all that video 24/7 says a lot about its capabilities. I am just dipping my toes into it and not at all proficient, but I like it and hope to learn more. Linux has far more development, though, so it is much easier to run more hardware with it.

Congrats NASA Perseverance and the Linux-based Ingenuity helicopter drone! :)
I took a peek at BSD recently but I've decided to stick to Linux because I work with GNU/Linux for my job, because GNU/Linux has more hardware support and it's already a PITA to keep with with the development of one OS.

Last edited:
I think I read somewhere that Google was also using BSD for something important, but a 30 second search didn't have any interesting results - so it may be a figment of my imagination.

This may be a little of topic but still about a spacecraft with a really long uptime.

I have never seen any tangible evidence that proves that anyone or anything has ever even left Earths atmosphere. All of this could of easily just been done on Earth could it not.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts