Peppermint OS Utilities recovery grub> (boot repair needed)

grr8d8

Reaction score
Credits
I fixed my older computer by finally "finding" a distro that would crash upon install so I could find out what was wrong. I did boot repair and voila, I have a computer that works like it was 2012.

This computer (my new one) didn't work as well with that method. The boot problem on this computer is different. It will install and run both Ubuntu and Antix. My Ubuntu computer did NOT shut down for the past 2 years and suddenly it will. I can get peppermint to install and run but there is clearly a boot problem and the computer will not shut down with any other OS. I thought I had it made with linux lite. It crashed 4 times on installation - I did boot-repair in each instance and got right to the end. It reached shut down but the machine stayed on.

I now have Antix on the computer. It finds its way around the boot error but still runs properly. Antix is an interesting distro for sure. I would stick with it if it came with XFCE. Every time I try an LXDE system, I have always uninstalled it by the end of the day. I have been dealing with this for days now. I tried installing XFCE but only half of it showed up and was even more confusing. I love the way programs install in Antix. I installed brave using the usual commands. Then I found a dolphin oracle video about this system....excellent video. I found the strangest software installer I have ever seen. You just click on Brave browser and it loads up everything, opens the terminal and automatically enters the commands for you. Incredible!!!!!!!

So, since what I want is Peppermint, let's look at that. I put in the Peppermint 11 USB stick. It automatically detects a problem and opens "Recovery Utilities" as the first thing you see. I am NOT well versed in grub commands so I need some assistance. I typed `e': and then f2 to get to grub>

This is what I have done. I am missing "how" to "load the kernel" first:

ls
ls (hd0)
set prefix= (hd0)/boot/grub
set root- (hd0)
insmod normal
normal

Then another page opens telling me "You need to load the kernel first". At least that is what it says today. It usually says you need to load the kernel into the MBR. I am clearly missing 1 or 2 commands or need to add something to one of them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also have a tiny issue that I hope I can just add here. I have a port error 110. Any fix for that? It was helpful when I figured out that was a USB port.

Last edited:

Antix is an interesting distro for sure. I would stick with it if it came with XFCE.
You can always try its stablemate, MX Linux -21

new Peppermint 11 is no longer based on Ubuntu but Debian stable

Mind you, if you're happy with Antix then keep it and follow these instructions to install XFCE4

Thanks. I have tried MX and would gladly have it if I could just fix the boot. I have MX-21 XFCE with initv and the MX-21 plasma iso's downloaded. They both install but again, they won't shut down. I could very easily be happy with MX-21 initv XFCE as I truly would prefer to be systemd free. It is, however, interesting that you are given a choice. MX also has a GUI which allows me to install my VPN. I have tried installing the XFCE in Antix. If I can get it to work then possibly I would keep Antix but first I have to repair the boot.

The reason I want to go with Peppermint is because my old computer is running like Ubuntu 12.04 is installed on it. I can't even believe it. It starts. It runs. It doesn't freeze. It plays videos - every kind. It shuts down. "??????????" If I can get my new computer to work that well, I would be happy with either MX XFCE initv, Peppermint or Antix with XFCE. I admit I was surprised that the new Peppermint is deb based and not ubuntu but Ubuntu is deb based so........ anyhow, it works really well. I just need to get it "properly" installed.

I am also sooooo happy to finally find a desktop environment that I like. I was in love with Unity. Not missing it now that I have XFCE. Very much missing it when I log into the LXDE computer. While I have been trying to fix this, I have experimented with most of the desktop enviroments. I don't like plasma, cinnamon, gnome, or LXDE. I found an interesting distro that had a Deepin desktop so tried that. I hadn't used Deepin in years - looks great and a pretty good desktop environment. XFCE took a bit to learn but is soooo customizable that I can't even believe how beautiful my computer looks when I turn it on. It's a work of art now. I have read that article you sent to the link about installing XFCE a few days ago and can't believe he says it's ugly. It's exactly what you make it - beautiful or ugly.

Members online