PCI Network card on Kali

alo3zera

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone.

I just installed Kali on my new desktop computer using VMware (as my new SSD hasn't arrived yet).
I have my computer connected via ethernet, but I would like to use applications which require wlan0 access, but I am unable to find a way to use my network card.
Is there anyone who could help me with this? Do I have to dual-boot Kali for it to work?

The commercial version of VMware (with hyperVisor) allows for assigning hardware to specific Vms.
However it seems the free VMplayer does not. (I can't get the latest VMplayer to at least).
Because of this, Kali on a VM is almost useless.

You can't use the NIC in promiscuous mode, you can't use the Wifi card, and you can't scan storage arrays.

The commercial version of VMware (with hyperVisor) allows for assigning hardware to specific Vms.
However it seems the free VMplayer does not. (I can't get the latest VMplayer to at least).
Because of this, Kali on a VM is almost useless.

You can't use the NIC in promiscuous mode, you can't use the Wifi card, and you can't scan storage arrays.

That makes sense. Do you know if VirtualBox supports these features? I have used VBox before, but that was a long time ago, and the reason I switched was because of its poor performance - especially for GPU/ CPU heavy tasks.

Note: Moved to the correct sub-forum. Please take care to put threads in the *most accurate* section.

That makes sense. Do you know if VirtualBox supports these features? I have used VBox before, but that was a long time ago, and the reason I switched was because of its poor performance - especially for GPU/ CPU heavy tasks.

VirtualBox does not appear to. However Proxmox does.

Alright, thank you I will test it out. Do you know if they handle processing power the same as VMware?

Yes, actually they compare very close.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts