PC will not boot after wiping windows and installing Ubuntu

Litterstorm

Reaction score
Credits
Hi forum!
I am very new to Ubuntu/Linux but want to switch from windows to Linux. Last Thursday I wiped my computer (model: HP Z1) for windows 10 and installed Ubuntu. I followed a guide on how to do this, first by disabling "secure boot" and then using the "wipe windows and install Ubuntu" function to install Ubuntu from USB. Ubuntu worked completely fine Thursday and Friday (without any USB in the computer), but when I try to turn on my computer today (Monday) I can't boot.

First I get the message "start PXE over IPv6", which I read has something to do with the booting order. So I have tried this guide on how to change the boot priority, but I can't find any of the menu options suggested for changing the boot order when I am in the BIOS (and HPs website is also no help). I have also tried to press shift when turning on the computer, but that also doesn't do anything. I have also tried enabling secure boot again, which didn't change anything either.

This is the main message that I get:
"BootDevice Not Found
Please install an operating system on your hard disk.
Hard disk - (3F0)
F2 Systems Diagnostics
For more information please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup
"

These are the two menu options I get, when pressing down either F2 or F10:
20220411_100108.jpg

And this menu:

20220411_100323.jpg

Does anybody know what this problem could be and how to solve it? I just want to get back to how things worked last Friday.

Kind Regards,

Hello @Litterstorm,
Welcome to the forum.
To start you must have been able to boot to the live usb. Boot to that and go to a terminal and type this command.
Code:
inxi -Fxxxzr
Then post the out put here. It will give us an overview of your system.
Also if you installed Ubuntu. what happens when you try tor reboot?
May sure secure boot is turned off and fast boot also if it on.
But lets start here.

Thanks for the quick reply kc1di !
Here is the output from the command :

Code:
System:
  Kernel: 5.13.0-30-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0
    Desktop: GNOME 3.36.9 tk: GTK 3.24.20 wm: gnome-shell dm: GDM3 3.36.3
    Distro: Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS (Focal Fossa)
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: HP product: HP Z1 Entry Tower G6 v: N/A
    serial: <superuser required> Chassis: type: 3 serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: HP model: 870B v: KBC Version 09.97.00 serial: <superuser required>
    UEFI: HP v: S01 Ver. 02.08.02 date: 08/20/2021
CPU:
  Info: 10-core model: Intel Core i9-10900K bits: 64 type: MT MCP
    smt: enabled arch: Comet Lake rev: 5 cache: L1: 640 KiB L2: 2.5 MiB
    L3: 20 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 800 min/max: 800/5300 cores: 1: 800 2: 800 3: 800
    4: 800 5: 800 6: 800 7: 800 8: 800 9: 800 10: 800 11: 800 12: 800 13: 800
    14: 800 15: 800 16: 800 17: 800 18: 800 19: 800 20: 800 bogomips: 147994
  Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: i915 v: kernel ports:
    active: DP-1 empty: DP-2, DP-3, HDMI-A-1, HDMI-A-2, HDMI-A-3
    bus-ID: XXXX chip-ID: XXXX class-ID: XXXX
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.20.13 compositor: gnome-shell driver: X:
    loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa gpu: i915 display-ID: :0
    screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 2560x1440 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 677x381mm (26.7x15.0")
    s-diag: 777mm (30.6")
  Monitor-1: DP-1 model: HP M27fq QHD serial: <filter> res: 2560x1440
    hz: 60 dpi: 109 size: 596x335mm (23.5x13.2") diag: 695mm (27.3") modes:
    max: 2560x1440 min: 720x400
  Message: Unable to show GL data. Required tool glxinfo missing.
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Comet Lake PCH cAVS vendor: Hewlett-Packard
    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1f.3 chip-ID: XXXX
    class-ID: XXXX
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.13.0-30-generic running: yes
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 13.99.1 running: yes
Network:
  Device-1: Intel Ethernet I219-LM vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: e1000e
    v: kernel port: N/A bus-ID: XXXXX chip-ID: XXXX class-ID: XXXX
  IF: eno1 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 1011.6 GiB used: 3.17 GiB (0.3%)
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Micron model: XXXX
    size: 953.87 GiB speed: 31.6 Gb/s lanes: 4 type: SSD serial: <filter>
    rev: HPS0032 temp: 24.9 C scheme: GPT
  ID-2: /dev/sda type: USB vendor: Kingston model: DataTraveler 3.0
    size: 57.73 GiB type: N/A serial: <filter> rev: 0000 scheme: MBR
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 31.29 GiB used: 154.3 MiB (0.5%) fs: overlay source: ERR-102
Swap:
  Alert: No swap data was found.
Sensors:
  Missing: Required tool sensors not installed. Check --recommends
Repos:
  Packages: 1838 apt: 1831 snap: 7
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list
    1: deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS _Focal Fossa_ - Release amd64 (20220223)]/ focal main restricted
    2: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal main restricted
    3: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted
    4: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-updates main restricted
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/unit193-ubuntu-inxi-focal.list
    1: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/unit193/inxi/ubuntu focal main
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/yannubuntu-ubuntu-boot-repair-focal.list
    1: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/yannubuntu/boot-repair/ubuntu focal main
Info:
  Processes: 379 Uptime: 28m wakeups: 31 Memory: 62.59 GiB
  used: 1.84 GiB (2.9%) Init: systemd v: 245 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: N/A
  Shell: Bash v: 5.0.17 running-in: gnome-terminal inxi: 3.3.13

I have manage to start the computer with a USB inserted that has Ubuntu on it. I read that the reason for the computer not wanting to boot can be due to a GRUB error. So I tried to fix it with the tool "boot-repair". But here I end at the problem "GPT detected. Create a BIOS boot partition (>1MB, unformatted filesystem, bios_grub flag). This can be performed via tools such as Gparted. Then try again."

Welcome to the forums,
not a common problem, but a niggly one that sometimes occurs,
usual method to solve it , You simply need to disable network boot option in BIOS setup

Hi Brickwizard,
Thanks for your reply. I already tried this, but it didn't change anything about the booting problem.

Another thought, have you tried booting using the fast boot selection key by jiggling [F9 or ESC depending on your machine] and selecting the hard drive from the menu, If you can boot by this method then we need to look at repairing the boot grub

Installation
help.ubuntu.com -- UEFI
------------------------
Archived -- must sign in to HP account to see
HP Z1 -- Issues with Ubuntu

HP Z1 BIOS Issue
-------------------------
ubuntu help
Installation Ubuntu on HP Z1 Workstation

HP as not much help. One user went so far as to purchase Easy BCD to get around booting problems.
Persistence!

Hi! thanks for all the quick replies.
@Brickwizard I looked at the booting order but this has already the SSD as the first on the list, which I read should be right boot order. I tried holding the "shift" key down while rebooting which should bring up the hard drive menu (that is what I read) but nothing happens, only the same error message.

@forester thanks for all the links, very helpful! I read through the ones you sent. It says that UEFI/BIOS should only be a problem if you are dual booting, but I am single booting, so this should not be the problem according to this link about BIOS/UEFI.

did you try fast boot selection key by jiggling [F9 or ESC depending on your machine] as you switch on

My HP is F9 some older ones are Esc

I just get a black screen.
Strange,
you need to jiggle the key quickly, not hold it down immediately as you switch on, you only have a few seconds,
holding shift down whilst switching on only opens [or should open] the grub menu,

When holding/jiggling F9 I get the BIOS menu, and when pressing/jiggling shift/esc I get the "HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI"- menu. But none of them returns the grub menu.

Can it be something with the GRUB that is not working?

Can it be something with the GRUB that is not working?
It is possible, have you got anything in the files/folders you need to keep?
I would be inclined to do a full reinstallation with a different distribution, say https://sourceforge.net/projects/mx-linux/files/Final/Xfce/MX-21_x64.iso/download, it's a mid-weight distribution with the lighter XFCE desktop, if you have 2 USB ports you could put a clean USB in one and run the ISO in the other and use the ISO to save any files you want to keep to the blank USB

You said you ran boot-repair above. Boot-repair has problems with UEFI. But it should have given you a web address to go to to look at the boot system. Do you have that page? If so share it with us.

I've had this problem before on a laptop, the issues was the hard drive was not connected to the SATA readers properly, and the solution is plugging your hard drive in more firmly. HOWEVER, it doesn't seem like you switched out the hard drives before replacing windows 10, which means that this is either a hardware issue (the worst case scenario, be sure to exhaust every other possibility before coming to this conclusion...), the BIOS is giving you crap, or your bootable flash drive did not install your operating system correctly.

Unfortunately, i've had lots of problems with the latter: it seems like a lot of times software does not write ISOs into a truly bootable format. Before, i found that the "dd" command on linux installed my operating systems correctly on flash drives, but recently this has not been the case, and everytime i do a OS wipe, i use belena etcher and it turns out fine.

I've also heard good things about unetbootin, i intend to try it out in the near future.

@Litterstorm -- HOW was Windows 'wiped?' I don't understand the process alluded to in your first post.

@CrazedNerd -- just use dd if=*.iso of=/devsdX bs=4096, etc. -- less hassle; each one of those liveUSB makers seem to have one problem or another. Anyway, that's what I'd try first.

@Litterstorm -- HOW was Windows 'wiped?' I don't understand the process alluded to in your first post.

@CrazedNerd -- just use dd if=*.iso of=/devsdX bs=4096, etc. -- less hassle; each one of those liveUSB makers seem to have one problem or another. Anyway, that's what I'd try first.
I mean, that's the only way to use dd for writing bootable images, i've tested it multiple times and all i know is that Belena Etcher wrote actually bootable images whereas dd did not. It worked fine several months ago, i don't know what the deal is...

from a Cold boot as soon as you power on its F9 to get boot choice and thats the route you want when booting from as live USB.

pixie or PXe is your system trying to load an operating system using the internet ? So yeah boot order priority mashed .As an alternative to DD or etcher ventoy is handy for trying a few Live Linux OS all from thh same usb stick .

Members online