PC Upgrades

Both the WD blue and the Samsung are good products, I do know the Samsung can cause problems in Linux
there are 2 types of PCIe to MVNE adaptors If I were buying for myself, I would choose the Sabrent type
with the drive mounted the other side to the heatsink it will be about an inch wide

SSDs which say PCIe
SSD purely means solid state drive, a USB pen drive is a SSD, SSD hard drives come in 3 types, ZIF drives, SATA drives and the latest MVNE drives which need to be connected to the PCIe bus which has a 16 or more times faster transfer speed

Both the WD blue and the Samsung are good products, I do know the Samsung can cause problems in Linux
there are 2 types of PCIe to MVNE adaptors If I were buying for myself, I would choose the Sabrent type
with the drive mounted the other side to the heatsink it will be about an inch wide

Thanks Wiz - do I only need one of those adapters that you linked to (eg the Sabrent)?

I popped open the unit, and once I had finished coughing up dust - There seems to be plenty of space beneath the GPU to fit it in Map of Motherboard. The GPU is on the top of the two blue slots, and presumabley the slot for the SSD is the one marked PCI_E4 beneath it? If all else fails, would it fit into one of the black ones beneath it?

Removing the other SSD/HDD seems fairly straight forward (just unplug them).

Basically, if I get One of these and one of these should I be good to go?

Thanks for your help again, and for putting up with my dumb questions!

ps. Troublingly, the left most RAM slot seems a bit inaccessable behind the CPU fan. Maybe I'll make do with 16GB!

The blue ones are PCIe, the black ones are PCI legacy standard [no good for modern cards or the NVMe]
Troublingly, the left most RAM slot seems a bit inaccessable behind the CPU fan.
unless someone has fitted an aftermarket cooler, there should in theory be enough room
]

Thanks again Wizard - so the WD Blue and Sabrent should do the trick?

I'll order them and prepare myself. If you hear a loud bang, send for help...

You will see some of that with Linux, but not nearly as drastic. Software, by its nature, never gets smaller. (Sure, there are exceptions.) Then, you'll be installing your own software and making your own system changes - atop those made by the folks providing your updates.

For a new user, I recommend not tweaking it a whole lot, and sticking as much as they can with applications directly available in their repositories. Linux is remarkably stable until you go screwing with it. It's when you go tweaking and changing that it tends to fail.

Which is okay, if that's your route to learning. I call it 'learning by breaking' and it's a perfectly valid way to familiarize yourself with Linux - perhaps more so than by just generally using it and reading a few articles. Learning by breaking teaches you how the underlying system works, 'cause you've gotta fix what you broke. It's also generally a useful tool for teaching people how to properly backup their computer.

Anyhow, it'll slow down some. Not a whole lot, depending on what you do, but unlike entropy, software always moves to a more complex state.

The Windows slow down has always seemed quite drastic to me. Take my tiny 120GB SSD for example, it's near capacity and I don't think I ever installed anything on it.

As for learning by breaking, I am more than happy to do that. It's part of the fun, ultimately.

All the bits are on the way, so one more question (I watch a lot of Columbo) -

I realized last night that because I am now installing the SSD on an empty slot, I won't have to remove the old drives. Does this mean GRUB will be installed and will allow me to choose which OS to run each time I boot up? The plan is the install KDE Neon, if that makes a difference.

Alternativley, can I change the boot order myself instead?

Thanks again guys

YAWNNNNNNN... I Jest,..... you can fill as many HD bays as you wish [provided you have enough connections to cope, ] yes. You can Permanently select the daily boot order in the Bios, [It's always best to leave USB as first boot]. And when installing, use the short [fast] boot menu

Staff online

Members online