pc trying to boot to ubuntu after I replaced it with garuda

haloha

Reaction score
Credits
I replaced my ubuntu install with garuda KME gaming edition, however when I turn my pc on it brings me up to some command prompt, I restart the computer with "exit [enter key] [enter key]", go into boot settings by spamming f11 and there are a few options, notably "1 - ubuntu - (my ssd) (presumably replaced my garuda)" and "2 - garuda - (the same ssd as #1)". selecting garuda works and boots me into garuda without a command prompt, but obviously I'd like the computer to boot into garuda without me having to specifically tell it to each time. How do I accomplish this? Obviously new at this so if I didn't provide enough tell me what to put if you need it.

EDIT - alright nevermind guys, I figured it out, heres what I did: I deleted the partition that I guess still had ubuntu on it using gparted and now it boots into garuda.

Last edited:

can you give the details of the command prompt that comes up ?

i'm guessing your PC is uefi; you could post a screenshot of your partitions using gparted but it may be quicker to just use efibootmgr. You could also see if thats installed using : sudo pacman -Qs efibootmgr; but i think that will already be installed so just post output of :

Code:
sudo efibootmgr -v
// i have endeavourOS on wifes laptop and that needs sudo not sure for guruda

Try updating Grub:

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Reboot and see if that helps.

@Alexzee worth a try. By the way i really liked that book Debians Admin Handbook you highlighted on one thread ; and looked at Debian Buster ,but there wasn't much to stir my enthusiasm . I'm pretty much sold on EndeavourOS as a stepping stone to vanilla Arch(as an accompaniment OS to Slackware) and I guess Garuda could be considered somewhat of an equivalent to it .

As of this minute i have no idea if sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg will update entries on the efi partition ; thats why i was interested to see if there was a ghost entry for Ubuntu which efibootmgr
-V would show .

What i've done with EndeavourOS and i think it will apply to guaruda is cover all the worst case scenarios. I've looked at fix issues due to upgrade including kernel and packages that badly affects the system. I've looked at even if Endeavour won't boot, how i can fix that from a live OS on usb and chrooting into system to re-install grub . It came through with flying colors, i'm sure it would be the same would be for garuda.

Last edited:
@Alexzee worth a try. By the way i really liked that book Debians Admin Handbook you highlighted on one thread ; and looked at Debian Buster ,but there wasn't much to stir my enthusiasm . I'm pretty much sold on EndeavourOS as a stepping stone to vanilla Arch(as an accompaniment OS to Slackware) and I guess Garuda could be considered somewhat of an equivalent to it .

As of this minute i have no idea if sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg will update entries on the efi partition ; thats why i was interested to see if there was a ghost entry for Ubuntu which efibootmgr
-V would show .
Yeah the Debian Administrators Handbook is a real jem.
Thanks!

Garuda is based on Arch so I thought it wouldn't hurt to try sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

Let's see what the screenshot of the partitions looks like.

Yeah the Debian Administrators Handbook is a real jem.
Thanks!

Garuda is based on Arch so I thought it wouldn't hurt to try sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

Let's see what the screenshot of the partitions looks like.

well i can confirm that to re-install grub2 to a uefi Arch based system with an efi partition from a liveOS on usb stick but working as chroot that :
Code:
# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
was the last command i used to re-install grub on wifes laptop. Basically shes quite blase ´ about it allowing me to take liberties.

Members online