PC keeps powering on to BIOS after Ubuntu install

ggedlinske

Reaction score
Credits
Hey everyone. I'm brand new to Linux (Ubuntu) and just recently built a gaming pc. Today I booted Ubuntu as the OS and was able to successfully install it on my new computer. I was able to get on YouTube, browse other sites, and adjust settings.

Then I restarted my computer to allow it to fully update. Once I did this, it immediately brought me back to the BIOS menu and I can't seem to get back into the computer. I tried reinstalling Ubuntu, but as soon as I started I was notified that it was already the current OS for the PC. What am I doing where the PC keeps booting to the BIOS menu instead of loading Ubuntu? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

G'day ggedlinske, and Welcome to linux.org

Thats ...ummm....weird !

Is there any chance the usb stick was left plugged into your pc ?? (instead of being taken out after installing )

So I played around with it a bit more and I think I misunderstood what was going on when I first posted. (Still need help though.)

It seems that Ubuntu successfully was installed on my computer SSD, because after some playing around with it I decided to try reinstalling it. When I did this the system notified me that Ubuntu was already installed and gave me options to uninstall then reinstall, etc. Because I didn't know what was going on, I uninstalled it and then reinstalled it, after which it told me to restart the computer. Upon restarting I was prompted to remove the bootable USB.

I then received the message "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device."

That's now where I'm stuck. I've gotten into the BIOS menu and adjusted the boot order so that hard disk is the first option, but this hasn't seemed to do anything. I will say that nowhere in my BIOS menu was I able to see that I was using a M.2 SSD instead of another form of hard drive. (Not sure if that's significant but figured I'd include it)

Again, I appreciate any help you have to offer! Let me know if there's other info that I should include.

Just to be sure, to be sure....REBOOT a couple of times......just maybe the poor thing will realise that all is fine and everything is where it is supposed to be.

remove usb stick or cd that you used to install ubuntu and after that restart your computer. if you are in bios then you can power off your pc as you are having ssd

Members online