password reset

M

mtu1492

After searching your site and not finding an answer I've come here. The issue is resetting my password, but the question about my current password. Well if I knew the password I would be able to enter it, not knowing it I'm at a loss to figure it out. I guess I'll need to go around again.

If you want to reset your password you have two options:
  1. When grub appear press any key and select your kernel, in the end of the line append
    after that press b to boot in single mode if you are asked for the root password you need to append
    single init=/bin/bash
    no just
  2. Another way is use a Live CD, boot using the live CD after that mount your linux partition and modify /etc/passwd. Find you user and remove the"x".
Example:
before:
Code:
rodrigo:x:1000:1000:Rodrigo:/home/rodrigo:/bin/bash

the first column is the user name.

after:
Code:
rodrigo::1000:1000:Rodrigo:/home/rodrigo:/bin/bash

reboot the pc without the LiveCD and when the system asked for the password just press enter.

After searching your site and not finding an answer I've come here. The issue is resetting my password, but the question about my current password. Well if I knew the password I would be able to enter it, not knowing it I'm at a loss to figure it out. I guess I'll need to go around again.

You posted in the forum assistance section - are you trying to reset your forum password or a password on your Linux system?

Members online