Password manager problem (Solved)

gillsman

Reaction score
Credits
This is a strange one, I upgraded a friends computer from Linux mint 20.3 (cinnamon) to mint 21, she uses Firefox with both Bit Warden & Lastpass addons installed (she's not decided which one to go for so is testing both).
I made a note of her login details for both & reinstalled the addons once the system was up 'n' running. The system works fine, however we have a problem in that 90% of the sites which are duplicated in LP & BW no longer work, what happens is when clicking launch from either of them the correct login page for the chosen site opens fine, user name & password are filled as normal but the site returns a message "Something went wrong"
One or two sites work but most don't. On my laptop, Bitwarden works flawlessly but if I log out then back in with her details the problem returns, what I can't understand is upgrading the system shouldn't really make any difference as effectively all I was doing was logging out & logging in again with the same login details, the addons haven't changed so what could be causing this strange behavior.
I'm not really optimistic that anyone will know what's happening here but it's worth throwing it out there.
Thank you

Completely deleted the entry for the site from your LastPass vault (clicked on the trash can icon at the bottom of the entry)
Now recreate the entry for the site (You can do that simply by going to the site and logging in with the correct username/password and LastPass will ask you if you want to add it.)

That is interesting.
I also updated to LM21...(fresh install)...and had absolutely no problem with bit warden.

I installed the bitwarden add on in brave browser...typed in the master password....and it worked as per usual.

i will be very interested to see the outcome here.

On my laptop, Bitwarden works flawlessly but if I log out then back in with her details the problem returns,
so the problem is with her details/setup.....almost as if there is some sort of double up. ....Yeah I know, that sounds crazy.....and yet when her "details" are transmitted, the SITE responds with an error....so either the username or the password is changed/corrupted in some way.
@Lord Boltar's suggestion is a good one. It effectively 'cleans' both the password and the username.

When the "user name & password are filled as normal"....do any of the sites have an "eye" which if you click on it allows you to see the password in written text?

Conundrum.

Actually when I upgraded my own laptop to mint 21 I also had no issues so I'm guessing something has corrupted the data , it's surprising though that both BitWarden and lastpass are displaying the same issue, anyway I'm going to try the suggestion either today or Sunday depending on when I get time and I'll let you know how I get on .
Thanks to you both for your assistance

The one link here that possibly stands out....is firefox...on THAT computer....becasue as you say you have no drama and neither do i.....So.....it is worth installing another browser.
Take your pick....Chromium (not Chrome) is easily installed....As is Brave browser. You will find them both in the Software Manager

both of those browsers use the Chrome Web Store for extensions/add ons. Just type in bitwarden and it will show the add on/extension there ....just click and etc to install it...same for last pass.

In Brave the extension will be hidden in a small black blob up in the top right hand corner of the page.......just click on the blob and select to "pin" last pass and bit warden.....that will mnake them accessible just to the left of the blob

I will almost bet monet they will work in Brave and Chromium (not Chrome)

Brave is an extremely quick browser, and stands sufficiently apart from Chrome for me to use it full time. Very safe, very secure.
A number of pages of settings need to be tended to, but well worth the effort. I can help with that if you/she want to take the leap.

Chromium is also very good, but I feel that Brave has the edge on it.

Ok so I have followed the suggestion of deleting the entry & recreating it, I have also tried using a private window so there are no add-ons in use plus I've tried brave, chrome & chromium, nothing works although bizzarely there were a couple of sites that were logging in normally. One other strange thing I found was on BBC.co.uk, trying to login here produced the same error but if I then clicked on the login button again her account details suddenly appeared but most other sites point blank refuse. If I log out of BitWarden & then login again with my own details it all works fine. I have looked in her BW entries and all the password and usernames and site addresses are as the should be.
This simply makes no sense at all & I am totally stumped.

Even more strange, one of the few that does work is she has the login details for the lastpass vault in BitWarden and that works !!

Oh weird or what, I've gone on each site that there's an entry for & selected forgot password, received a reset link changed the password, gone back to bit warden changed it in there and now it signs in perfectly, just means I have about 30 odd entries to change but all ok so I'm marking this solved.
Thanks to all that helped.

Members online