Partitioning A USB Thumb Drive with Parted Solved

IIRC you should be able to use partition-to-disk and the option of the USB thumb drive will present itself.

Is this a desktop that you have the 84 distro's on?

No Dell Inspiron i7 laptop, but also with a 4 TB WD My Book hooked to it via USB 3.0 and powered.

Thanks!
Will I need to create partitions on the USB pendrive (destination drive) before I start Clonezilla?

I've wanted to get one of those My Books for a while now.
How well does that WD My Book work for you? Any issues?

Will I need to create partitions on the USB pendrive (destination drive) before I start Clonezilla?
Yes, one partition in EXT4. Let's ping Brian @Condobloke , he has far more, and more recent, experience with Clonezilla than I have. :)

How well does that WD My Book work for you? Any issues?
None that I have experienced so far (don't jinx me).

Thanks, Chris

Sadly, my clonezilla experience turned out to be more of a nightmare than anything else.

I have not used it now for approx 12 months, and have no intention of returning to it.

In its place, I now use Gnome Disks on Linux Mint 21.1. I use it to save a clone to an external hard drive which is formatted to ext4. it takes around 35 minutes for a 250GB nvme drive.

Yes, one partition in EXT4. Let's ping Brian @Condobloke , he has far more, and more recent, experience with Clonezilla than I have. :)

None that I have experienced so far (don't jinx me).
Thanks, Not jinxing you mate just wondering because I'd like to buy one for my bf as a gift.

Clonezilla sometimes called Clonekilla.
m09004.gif

It has nothing going for it...complicated...unreliable and slow as hell...I only used it once years ago...to create an image of say 140GB takes with Foxclone or Macrium Rescue Media takes about 40 mins and that includes verifying the image.

With the same 140GB clonezilla was still going after 5 hrs...that's when I stopped it and there's no way to verify the image or clone it creates either...not for me.
t9407.gif

Clonezilla sometimes called Clonekilla.
m09004.gif

It has nothing going for it...complicated...unreliable and slow as hell...I only used it once years ago...to create an image of say 140GB takes with Foxclone or Macrium Rescue Media takes about 40 mins and that includes verifying the image.

With the same 140GB clonezilla was still going after 5 hrs...that's when I stopped it and there's no way to verify the image or clone it creates either...not for me.
t9407.gif
What a mess!
Are there any other programs that are worthy to clone os's that you know work?

Bob uses Foxclone, and Brian uses GNOME Disks.

What a mess!
Are there any other programs that are worthy to clone os's that you know work?

Years ago I'd clone one HDD to another but creating an image of the Drive is much better.
m1213.gif

There are a few clone/imaging software around but some wont work with linux and others that do are missing one thing...a Verifying tool which is most important because without it you don't know if the created image is good...both Foxclone and Macrium have it.
m1212.gif

When you start to create an image you can stop at any time without causing any problems...but when you start to Re-Image the Drive...if the image is bad...not only can't you put the image on the Drive but everything that's on that Drive is wiped and you end up with nothing.
t3602.gif

I used to burn Foxclone to a single Flash Drive but now I just drag it and others in to Ventoy.
m01101.gif

2023-01-27-09-48.png

Downloaded the PDF Guide for Foxclone so got that. I'll read it over the weekend. Thanks!

I was going to post those sites.
m0103.gif

Years ago I'd clone one HDD to another but creating an image of the Drive is much better.
m1213.gif

There are a few clone/imaging software around but some wont work with linux and others that do are missing one thing...a Verifying tool which is most important because without it you don't know if the created image is good...both Foxclone and Macrium have it.
m1212.gif

When you start to create an image you can stop at any time without causing any problems...but when you start to Re-Image the Drive...if the image is bad...not only can't you put the image on the Drive but everything that's on that Drive is wiped and you end up with nothing.
t3602.gif

I used to burn Foxclone to a single Flash Drive but now I just drag it and others in to Ventoy.
m01101.gif

2023-01-27-09-48.png

I was going to post those sites.
m0103.gif
Thanks!

You're welcome...Foxclone used to have a nice web site but I don't know what happened...it still works.

It's easy to use...burn ISO to a Flash Drive or drag to Ventoy...then plug in an external HDD and create a folder and name it.
Boot to Foxclone...select Drive to be imaged...select Drive/Folder to save it too and start...instructions explain it all.
m1212.gif

You're welcome...Foxclone used to have a nice web site but I don't know what happened...it still works.

It's easy to use...burn ISO to a Flash Drive or drag to Ventoy...then plug in an external HDD and create a folder and name it.
Boot to Foxclone...select Drive to be imaged...select Drive/Folder to save it too and start...instructions explain it all.
m1212.gif
Roger that--
Have not had a chance to look at Foxclone yet.
It's been one thing after another.

Foxclone works very well and is easy to use...I also like Macrium Rescue free Media (ISO)...however as of next year (2024) Macrium will no longer have a free version.
m1507.gif

As a Linux user it's not worth buying software that doesn't work in Linux to get the Rescue Media from a windowz computer...I always like to have two Disk imaging software tools...so I'll have a look around for another.
t1827.gif

Last edited:
@bob466 do I need to make a back up first with Foxclone before I clone the HHD?

No because you're creating the Backup with Foxclone.

Foxclone creates an Image of the used space on the Drive which is stored on an External HDD. I think people get confused about the difference between an Image and a Clone.
t1827.gif

The same Image can be put on heaps of computers...a Clone can only be put on one Drive.

I've found another excellent Imaging software...Redo Rescue...

https://manjaro.site/redo-rescue-4-0-a-powerful-open-source-bare-metal-backup-solution/
Get the latest version 4.0.0 here...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/redobackup/files/

My spare 500GB SSD has Mint Cinnamon 21.1...I created an Image with Redo Rescue and restored it perfectly and it takes about the same time as Foxclone. I think Redo Rescue is easier than Foxclone but that's me.
m1213.gif

No because you're creating the Backup with Foxclone.

Foxclone creates an Image of the used space on the Drive which is stored on an External HDD. I think people get confused about the difference between an Image and a Clone.
t1827.gif

The same Image can be put on heaps of computers...a Clone can only be put on one Drive.

I've found another excellent Imaging software...Redo Rescue...

https://manjaro.site/redo-rescue-4-0-a-powerful-open-source-bare-metal-backup-solution/
Get the latest version 4.0.0 here...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/redobackup/files/

My spare 500GB SSD has Mint Cinnamon 21.1...I created an Image with Redo Rescue and restored it perfectly and it takes about the same time as Foxclone. I think Redo Rescue is easier than Foxclone but that's me.
m1213.gif
Thanks for the confirmation.

On the subject of REDO BACKUP

in a word...Brilliant

My main drive is 250GB
It only backs up the portion actually used ....which in my case is just 32GB
Time taken: 6 minutes and 49 seconds
Time to Verify: 4 minutes and 9 seconds
Total time taken = ten minutes and 58 seconds.

I have it saved to an external drive.

Good stuff, @bob466 ...well worth using.

See my post here for more detail

Last edited:
On my main 500GB SSD used space is...176.7GB...Redo took 31.45 mins to create an image and 18 mins to verify it...Redo compressed it to 110.2GB.

To Restore will take about the same time of cause you don't need to run the verify tool...everything on the Drive is restored like new.
Inside the created Folder it looks like this...
2023-03-14-14-16.png

That screenshot does not blow up, Bob.

Wiz

Members online

Latest posts