Solved Parrot OS

Solved issue

hacktheworld

Reaction score
Credits
What do you use for the system backup on Parrot OS?
I have tried timeshift, but don't work in rsync mode.
Any suggestion?

G'day hacktheworld, Welcome to linux.org

I was under the impression that parrot os was based on debian/ubuntu.......which would mean that Timeshift will work there.

I may be quite incorrect here....that has happened before today ;)

Tell us what went wrong, when you tried Timeshift

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums
not everyone gets on with using rsync format, have you tried using Btrfs.

Another option is to use Deja-Dup which you can get from the Synaptic Package Manager

I suspect luckyBackup would meet your needs. Your default repos might have it. It's basically a front end for rsync. In fact, it can even spit out an rsync command that you can use in your terminal to do it manually.

I suspect luckyBackup would meet your needs. Your default repos might have it. It's basically a front end for rsync. In fact, it can even spit out an rsync command that you can use in your terminal to do it manually.

Can I use luckyBackup to backup the system files without external drivers (such as USB) needed?
Thank you

Can I use luckyBackup to backup the system files without external drivers (such as USB) needed?
Thank you

You can pick pretty much anywhere you want as your backup destination. That can even be a directory on the same drive, if that's your goal. It's not a drive imaging tech, it's just a front end for rsync and maybe a cron front end 'cause you can schedule backups as well. It's a bit old but still works when I use it.

You can pick pretty much anywhere you want as your backup destination. That can even be a directory on the same drive, if that's your goal. It's not a drive imaging tech, it's just a front end for rsync and maybe a cron front end 'cause you can schedule backups as well. It's a bit old but still works when I use it.
Thank you,
I tried it but I don't know how to set it up to backup my filesystem, it seems I need an external drive

Selection_087.png

It's not all that hard. Note the / as the source and the backup directory located on that same disk drive, not even a different internal drive.

View attachment 15446

It's not all that hard. Note the / as the source and the backup directory located on that same disk drive, not even a different internal drive.
Thank you very much!!
Now it works!
Please can you tell me if the settings in the screenshot are right?

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2023-03-29 05-30-01.png
    Screenshot at 2023-03-29 05-30-01.png
    56 KB · Views: 127
Please can you tell me if the settings in the screenshot are right?

You might want to preserve hard links (for restoration reasons) and some folks might worry about disk space and want to delete files at the destination, which will remove older versions of files.

I like your settings just fine for now, but watch it to see if it gives you the results you're after and adjust accordingly. There's no 'right' settings - there's just the settings that are right for you.

So, let it run as it is and see if you're happy with the results. Then run it again in the future (you can schedule it, which is just a front end for cron) and keep tabs on it for a while to ensure it's doing what you want it to do.

You can also use this as an excuse to learn rsync, which is a potentially complicated application. That's why I suggest the front end instead of the application itself. Still, you can learn the intricacies while you're at it.

You might want to preserve hard links (for restoration reasons) and some folks might worry about disk space and want to delete files at the destination, which will remove older versions of files.

I like your settings just fine for now, but watch it to see if it gives you the results you're after and adjust accordingly. There's no 'right' settings - there's just the settings that are right for you.

So, let it run as it is and see if you're happy with the results. Then run it again in the future (you can schedule it, which is just a front end for cron) and keep tabs on it for a while to ensure it's doing what you want it to do.

You can also use this as an excuse to learn rsync, which is a potentially complicated application. That's why I suggest the front end instead of the application itself. Still, you can learn the intricacies while you're at it.
Thank you very much,
your help has been invaluable. Have a good day!

I've gone ahead and marked it as solved for you. Glad to have helped.

Staff online

Members online