Parrot OS USB boots into GRUB

Dorkolatte

Reaction score
Credits
Hey everyone, first time poster but I have some basic Linux background.

I've attempted to install Parrot OS security edition version 5.1.2 Electro Ara into a 32GB Samsung USB, I have used this drive for multiple other distros so I believe the USB is not the issue.

The issue:
Burning Parrot in the USB using Etcher & Rufus (both DD and ISO mode) end in the same result, when I select the USB in the boot menu a GRUB CLI shows up, I cant boot into the Live OS in any way.

What I have tried:
I have also compared hashes to verify the integrity of the ISO file.

What I want:
I have 2 SSDs
1NVMe with windows
1SSD with Pop_OS

I want to install ParrotOS on the same SSD as Pop_OS by using half of the SSD for each OS.

Thanks for your time

Update: Tried Parrot Home and that works for some reason, tried (re-downloaded) security and it didnt, I might just go with architect and choose what I need there, still a bit annoying tho.

Tried Parrot Home and that works for some reason,
Yes there have been several problems with the security edition of Parrot , The home edition is basically the same but with the added apps and codecs for daily use, If you're interested in pen-testing, all the tools are there for you

Update: Tried Parrot Home and that works for some reason, tried (re-downloaded) security and it didnt, I might just go with architect and choose what I need there, still a bit annoying tho.
I agree. Annoying.

Made a good go at Parrot Home, but found it lacks stability. Both need more development, IMHO.

You can use the Home Edition and install only the hacking tools you actually need, or you can install all of them at once with
Code:
sudo apt install parrot-tools-full
Now you have Parrot Security

Good post! Good info!
I may try it, again, some day when . . .

Rufus only supports formatting as NTFS for iso with size larger than 4 GB, I guess that could be a problem with the security edition, since the size is around ~5 GB.

Rufus only supports formatting as NTFS for iso with size larger than 4 GB, I guess that could be a problem with the security edition, since the size is around ~5 GB.

Use something other than Rufus, like Balena Etcher.

When I use Etcher, Windows prompts me to format the drive after it is done flashing the image. The USB then fractures into two drives, with the bulk of the storage being unallocated. Rufus at least lets me finish the job, but it still boots to Grub every time I try booting from the USB stick.

The USB then fractures into two drives, with the bulk of the storage being unallocated.
That will be because the pen-drive you are using is far bigger than the ISO, so you will get the ISO partition and the remainder which gets labled storage [for want of something to call it]

@KGIII - The OP (albeit not @c0m94d3 ) already tried Etcher.

Wiz

LOL That's why I suggested Etcher to 'em. The OP had all sorts of other problems while that person was mucking about with Rufus and NTFS. Buggered if I knew what'd fix the OP's issues.

Etcher (IMHO) is quite overrated. I've been using it for a few times because it was " recommended" by some distro's but half of the instances I've have used it with failed.

That being said Parrot is a bit of an odd ball. Especially the Security version, it appears to follow it's own path which is sometimes unpredictable.
I can tell you what works for me every single time and I have installed many Security Versions on various machines.
I do understand and appreciate both Rufus and Etcher but for reasons unknown to me most of the times it just fails to install a bootable image on USB which leaves you with a USB stick (always a new one) used by 2 different applications.

So next thing I do is use any ISO burning app from any Linux flavors' application manager/repo, use it and ..........succes. :)
Home Edition works well on the 2 "big" ISO burners, Security Edition not so much lol.

Security Edition not so much lol.
Yes, there have been a lot of problems with the security edition, home will load most times without problems, and the architect edition also seems to behave, but not many users want to mess around building their own installation,
I like my home edition, it makes a good usable daily drive with the option of using the “Tools” if you so want.

but half of the instances I've have used it with failed.

That's definitely an outlier. We've had hundreds of people use it successfully over the past year or so. Longer and more, if you go back further. Are you using low-end USB drives, perhaps? Those can be a problem, but are universally a problem (not just with Etcher).

I suppose it could be some Security Edition weirdness, but we've (successfully) had folks use Etcher with that distro as well. If it's relatively important, we can probably test this. My bandwidth is pretty paltry these days, but I'm sure others would be willing to dig into it.

On the other hand, there are always many ways to do things in Linux. In this case, you can use 'dd' to write the data to a USB drive - but be 100% certain that you're using the correct drive identification, 'cause 'dd' does not care one bit and it will happily do exactly what you told it to do. Yeah, the 'dd' command will more than happily ruin your day by doing what you told it to do.

@KGIII , yes I do use low spec hardware that I usually have laying around. In retrospect I probably should have mentioned that.
Also, my above post was distro specific and both Etcher and Rufus generally works with virtually all other distros.

I suppose it could be some Security Edition weirdness
I'm quite sure it is. :cool:

@KGIII , yes I do use low spec hardware that I usually have laying around. In retrospect I probably should have mentioned that.
Also, my above post was distro specific and both Etcher and Rufus generally works with virtually all other distros.

I'm quite sure it is. :cool:

If I get time, I'll download the .iso and take a gander at it. I'll have to do it overnight, or by manually limiting the download speed. For reasons (disgust at my DSL provider) I'm protesting still and using a phone with unlimited data for my connectivity. That might sound like a brilliant solution, but I'm REALLY remote. I'm amazed that tethering even works!

Just disable SECURE BOOT from your BiOS. It works for me.
Back in April when this post was initiated, there were several bug issues with the security built [nothing to do with secure or fast boot] . Even I had problems trying to install it, but my latest test [about 3 weeks ago] worked fine.

Back in April when this post was initiated, there were several bug issues with the security built [nothing to do with secure or fast boot] . Even I had problems trying to install it, but my latest test [about 3 weeks ago] worked fine.
Ah, Okay. I didn't know about it. I tried 3 days ago, faced tis issue and come here. None of the replies didn't helped me then I noticed something from the log and disabled secure boot and that grub stopped coming and I installed it successfully.

Staff online