Parasitic computer industry

I prefer to not drive and maintain a Model T automobile - nor a '57 Chevy - nor ..... etc., etc.

There are very good reasons old hardware and software are continually upgraded, improved, or replaced by newer, safer, more reliable products.

Old stuff is fine for enthusiasts and collectors - but falls short when confronted with the needs, wants, and realities of 'modern' society.

I prefer to not drive and maintain a Model T automobile - nor a '57 Chevy - nor ..... etc., etc.

Oh how I would love to own and drive a Model T automobile or a '57 Chevy.

There are very good reasons old hardware and software are continually upgraded, improved, or replaced by newer, safer, more reliable products.

Anyone who reads my posts knows all of my computers are old curb finds from 2006 / 2010 and pieced together with parts from other old curb finds hence why I call them Frankenstein builds.

Don't get me wrong I would like to own a brand new computer with a butt load of memory and a kick ass processor and graphics card but as long as what I already have works why not use them.

Old stuff is fine for enthusiasts and collectors - but falls short when confronted with the needs, wants, and realities of 'modern' society.

Exactly.

Eventually all things run the coarse of time and are no longer able to work with today's technology and have to be replaced.

Progress, you don't have to like however you do have to accept it or you get left behind.

I have a phone with android 2 and somehow viber and browser are still working, but they should stop working soon too! If with computers in theory it is possible to replace system with a current one for old devices like linux antic, with smartphones nothing can be done. I dont want to touch upon capitalism and general parasitism of the world economy, jobs and where people get money because it is not topic of this forum, but many people especially in 3d world countries can only afford to buy computer, phone once in a lifetime; and they should throw it away only because of the system! It is a total nonsense. It is like throwing a new car only because they demand another color of interior. Manufacturers should ensure basic functionality of os with which device came for indefinite time. Or volunteer programmers should help with that. Am i the only person in the world dissatisfied with the situation?
No, your not the only person dissatisfied with the situation.
Unfortunately the same thing goes on with a XBox or a Playstation.

Long story short.
A friend of mine has a PS3 and it will not play PS4 games so the only way around it is to purchase a PS4 system. Than when PS5 comes out it may not play PS3 or PS4 games.

Technology is always changing and developers are always building and compiling new code to improve our devices. I don't think that will ever change.

Anyway; if and when you decide to install Anti-x or MX Linux on one or both of your machines I'm here to help.

Cheers,
Alex

you have a good intention, but With all due respect, you need to understand some basic computer concepts. you first of all need to understand that the idea of having a computer is to communicate to outside world. Information technology is all about transferring of information from one person to another, from one company to an other and the data that is being transmitted through the internet needs to be secured. And programmers dont have that time to create a piece of software for an old unsupported version of OS. they need to create programs that solve our real life problems. and at least if you don't care about security, there are those whose lives depend on security and data integrity.

8 words - Live with it or walk away from it.

I Have another thought I worked an update to puppy 4.31 called Phoenix 4.311 and it has an updated glibc. You could run a modern Browser in a chroot jail on top of an old OS. Head to murga forums under derivatives.

Last edited:
And programmers dont have that time to create a piece of software for an old unsupported version of OS. they need to create programs that solve our real life problems. and at least if you don't care about security, there are those whose lives depend on security and data integrity.
In my view os doent need to have any security. If we are talking about a bank card, here everything depends on two events - action in the net and action on the brick phone, os doesnt have to do anything with it. What other security do you need? Those who need security should pay for it and get into this mess, but there should be a free system without updates and security.

Last edited:
The OS provides the environment in which EVERYTHING else operates. Of course the OS needs to have security, and security patches.

The OS provides the environment in which EVERYTHING else operates. Of course the OS needs to have security, and security patches.
World needs to find a team of volunteer programmers who would revive windows xp, first ubuntu, android 2, create web browsers without updates and security for them, create a free alternative to skype, and over the years add patches to the systems to make them work on newer hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
sean, we understand you have grievances that are of concern to you, and no doubt to others

i note (as a moderator) your withdrawal of a previous post, and its content, and thank you for that, but hard swearing is not acceptable here, we run a family site.

thanks for understanding

wizard

Im looking for a solution and still cannot find it. A temporary solution could be linux antix or similar , but since renewal of os happens every year it can work only as long as they support old hardware, they may drop support in a couple of years and it will be a deadlock. Tablets, smartphones - they appeared only 5 years ago, and today they dont exist anymore; buying device for 1 year is not an option. I cannot activate desktop viber because it requires modern expensive one time use smartphone which i will never buy.

World needs to find a team of volunteer programmers who would revive windows xp,

Here's your answer enjoy good luck.

Bye don't let the door hit ya where The Good Lord split ya.

Last edited by a moderator:
World needs to find a team of volunteer programmers who would revive windows xp, first ubuntu, android 2, create web browsers without updates and security for them, create a free alternative to skype, and over the years add patches to the systems to make them work on newer hardware.

@sean536
Greetings Sean,
I would be the first one to vote for you to organize and lead the 'team of volunteer programmers' to do all that you are suggesting.
Just think how much 'good' you could do for mankind by leading such a team.
Please let everyone here know when you plan to start and then give us updates as to the progress you are having with your 'team'.
Sincerely,
Old Geezer TC ;)

XP isn't quite dead and i believe that the N.H.S u.k paid a fortune to microsoft to have updated security and so on for an OS basically not maintained because the N.H.S wasn't ready to update its systems to something else .To my knowledge they are still using it

@sean536
Greetings Sean,
I would be the first one to vote for you to organize and lead the 'team of volunteer programmers' to do all that you are suggesting.
Just think how much 'good' you could do for mankind by leading such a team.
Please let everyone here know when you plan to start and then give us updates as to the progress you are having with your 'team'.
Sincerely,
Old Geezer TC ;)
I like your tag line-;)

Cheers,
Alex

XP isn't quite dead and i believe that the N.H.S u.k paid a fortune to microsoft to have updated security and so on for an OS basically not maintained because the N.H.S wasn't ready to update its systems to something else .To my knowledge they are still using it
A few years ago the U.K. was still using 'XP' on their submarines - I don't know if they still are.
XP matured into a much more solid OS than most of Microsoft's subsequent offerings.

To a certain extent I can understand where Sean is coming from I have had versions of say Puppy that I love using and don't want to upgrade but there come a time because of the browser being hopelessly being out of date and upgrade is impossible that there is a need to move on. The chroot idea is a great one because you can keep your old is. The chroot jail has parts of a newer operating system to run modern Browser on top of the old.

Members online

Latest posts