Our school is now running Linux

Hillbilly H

Reaction score
Credits
As of yesterday all five of our school computers are running Linux Mint 20.1 :D
P.S. Yes its a vary small privet school "mostly family"

LOL I hope you're not the English teacher!

I've found that most people can operate Linux just fine, provided it has a desktop similar to what they're used to. Otherwise, it takes them a minute to figure out where stuff is.

That's for basic operation. I don't expect them to know how to fix it if it breaks.

Rock on... my granddaughter went to her primary school able to use Mac [they had a mac buisness machine] and Linux from playing on my set up, oh dear teacher had not heard of LInux and Mac was not compatible with the school system [micro-crap] move on a few years she starts senior school,all homework has to be done and submitted by computer..yes you guessed Linux was not allowed as it was not compatible neither was her i-pad [Micro-crap again] yet android was compatible.the only answer was to get her a budget W7 lappy for school work, which she is still using and probably will for the next 3 years till she graduates

LOL I hope you're not the English teacher!
LOL NO! i have very limited formal education. But i do have a class the kids named "thinking outside the box"

Are you the one that installed Mint on all of those pc's?
LOL Yep. i did the install and the smart ones are deciding on what programs they need.

LOL We have a problem. Two of the cousins/teachers are insisting we have antivirus... :rolleyes:
Any suggestions?

LOL We have a problem. Two of the cousins/teachers are insisting we have antivirus... :rolleyes:
Any suggestions?

LOL We have a problem. Two of the cousins/teachers are insisting we have antivirus..

clamav

front end for clamav (gui) clamtk

its main use for me is scanning fat32 /windows related stuff usb sticks and the like. If you attached an infected fat32 usb stick to your linux box , it shouldn't cause any problem. But if you scan it with clamav and remove viruses it stops that usb stick being a problem to a Windows user IF you share that usb stick with a friend(who has not yet been converted to linux :^) who uses Windows user .

Also you can actually download a test virus place it say on your user Desktop and see if your anti -virus picks it up https://www.eicar.org/?page_id=3950

Attachments

• Screenshot_clamav.png
    Screenshot_clamav.png
    935.7 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Any suggestions?
Astra-Zenica works well so dose Moderna:D

I have clam installed, but i don't consider it protection for Linux, rather as a protection for all my friends and family using Micro-crap so I don't inadvertently pass anything on to them

Thank you all!
The truth came out after they were told to submit documentation of know Linux virus.
The truth they want new computers running win10 and dont want to learn Linux.
LOL My old lady told them the same thing we tell the kids. " Tuff **** "

Just a thought, if the kids are of the smartphone variety why not try them on one of the hackn'mac type desktops.

Not my most diplomatic of answers, but I would challenge the teachers that if they learned Linux they would learn why we don't need it (AV)

And that if they don't (learn) they will ultimately be left behind.

I haven't used AV for 7 years that I have been fulltime Linux, currently 68 Distros on board, have runn 100, never been bitten.

It's the mindset.

Put them onto me :)

And keep on truckin', HH

Chris

I'm a little late getting in on this topic, and with a welcome to @Hillbilly H, but here goes.
I have been using Linux {mainly Mint MATE} for about 5 years. During that time I have not had any virus, malware, or anything approaching that type of trouble on any of the 15 or so Linux distros that I have used.
It is amazing that people have been so -brain-washed- into thinking that AV is something that you must have to operate a computer safely, and usefully. Granted, if you use Windows you better have some sort of Anti-Virus installed. {Even then you may still get viruses}.
I am in the habit now of installing the updates that come along on almost a daily basis. I think that is probably one of the reasons for the security I have on my PC's and laptops.
Installing updates in Linux Mint is an easy habit to acquire and takes much less time than other systems' updates.
I'm sure that most users here give very little, if any, thought to AV anymore while using their computers.
That is the end of my rant for today! LOL.
Welcome @Hillbilly H and keep 'educating' all those folks who question why Linux doesn't need AV programs.
Old Geezer - Tango Charlie

I'm a little late getting in on this topic, and with a welcome to @Hillbilly H,
You're only late if you don't show up. ;)

It is amazing that people have been so -brain-washed- into thinking that AV is something that you must have to operate a computer safely, and usefully.
1st thing to learn about Linux is to forget your Windows habits.

Granted, if you use Windows you better have some sort of Anti-Virus installed.
Here's the mindset and the reason why new Linux users think they need Antivirus software with Linux.

I'm sure that most users here give very little, if any, thought to AV anymore while using their computers.
Only thought I have about Antivirus software while using my Linux computers is I'm glad I don't need to use Antivirus software.

keep 'educating' all those folks who question why Linux doesn't need AV programs.
Old Geezer - Tango Charlie
Right on Tango Charlie.

https://emojiguide.org/images/emoji/k/1ikaa3b1jla1qk.png

Here's the mindset and the reason why new Linux users think they need Antivirus software with Linux.

Only thought I have about Antivirus software while using my Linux computers is I'm glad I don't need to use Antivirus software.
You don't currently need to install a virus scanner on Windows 10 either because it comes with a virus-scanner already installed which is part of Windows, which is does the job as well.
2021-06-22_15_49_34.jpg

A screenshot from my Windows10 vm.

I've been meaning to get to an article about why you don't need AV on Linux. It's on my list of articles to do.

After about tree hours of working with the family yesterday ALL are convinced that Linux Mint will be outstanding. i did explain that Linux is NOT windows, that they do not need to use command prompt, that we dont need AV because Linux is open source and peer reviewed and is NOT windows or apple so the viruses will not work on Linux. My my biggest point "if i can do it i know all you can" (playing on the fact we all know i am the least educated)!

When the kids jumped on it was like a puzzle/game trying out the new os.
:D... But being kids buy the end of the day all they were doing was trying to guess the password to download games...:D

... But being kids buy the end of the day all they were doing was trying to guess the password to download games
now that sounds just about right

Members online